Autumn Colour C&C

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
rpps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083Gear list
Like?
Autumn Colour C&C
May 12, 2012

I have just been getting use to Photoshop CS6 the last few days and ACR. I edited two photos in ACR and stitched with Panorama Maker 5

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Robert Hoy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?
Re: Autumn Colour C&C
In reply to rpps, May 13, 2012

This scene has potential, but this image has far too much contrast. The clouds have no detail and the shadows are black. Looks like you had harsh sunny midday skies to overcome.
--
http://www.photographybyhoy.com
http://www.facebook.com/Photography.by.Hoy
http://roberthoy.zenfolio.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rpps
Like?
In reply to Robert Hoy, May 13, 2012

Thanks for your help, I had another play around with ACR 7.0 and this time I left the contrast set on 0, I then concentrated on the highlights and shadow sliders and using the warning guides red and blue on top of the Histogram.

It was a very glarry day and the sun was low in the sky and there was heaps of shadows to contend with. I haven't used Photoshop CS6 and ACR much before but I'm amazed how you can bring a photo back from the brink.
here's try number 2

Nikon D600 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
RetiredInFlorida
Senior MemberPosts: 1,303
Like?
In reply to rpps, May 13, 2012

take your RAW. set it for the sky not to be blown out.

in PSCS> Copy Layer> Shadow/Highlights> click more options> try 50,15,12, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.01, 0.01 click on Save As Default
looks dull - open Curves> menu-Linear Contrast removes the dullness.

next open Selective Color> Greens> cyan to the left, magenta to the right, yellow to the right> Reds> play around.

nice photo. me, i would try selling it.

-- hide signature --

Mike

rpps
Like?
In reply to RetiredInFlorida, May 13, 2012

RetiredInFlorida wrote:

in PSCS> Copy Layer> Shadow/Highlights> click more options> try 50,15,12, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.01, 0.01 click on Save As Default

next open Selective Color> Greens> cyan to the left, magenta to the right, yellow to the right> Reds> play around.

-- hide signature --

Mike

Hi Mike thanks for your help I'm new to using CS and ACR for editing my RAW files,previously I have used Nikon NX2 but I love the way you can bring back a photo in ACR although it's a steep learning curve.

With this next Panorama I edited the RAW files so the sky wasn't blown out and adjusted the shadows and I used contrast set on 25 in this latest edit. After I stitched the photos I used a ND Filter (Nik Plug-in) .

I tried your settings but I didn't like it as much as mine maybe my eyes are at fault, the 1st photo is using your settings.

RetiredInFlorida
Senior MemberPosts: 1,303
Like?
In reply to rpps, May 14, 2012

well rpps, your clouds look blown out still on my monitor. if the clouds look good on your monitor. your contrast or brightness might be set to low.

to set your brightness or contrast on your monitor. download a few wedding dresses. put them all up in a program and adjust your setting until you can see the most detail.

i was having pull out the shadows because if you print it and hang it. the dark areas will look like black spots when your looking at it.

our monitors are lite and show a lot of things differently than a print. one way to check if colors will print in the color space you have chosen. is to take your image into PSCS and turn on the Gamut Warning. what its gray will not print the colors you see. go View> Gamut Warning to turn it on.

sorry to babble on. all done now.
i really like the photo. i'd be selling that one for sure.

rpps wrote:

RetiredInFlorida wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike

Hi Mike thanks for your help I'm new to using CS and ACR for editing my RAW files,previously I have used Nikon NX2 but I love the way you can bring back a photo in ACR although it's a steep learning curve.

With this next Panorama I edited the RAW files so the sky wasn't blown out and adjusted the shadows and I used contrast set on 25 in this latest edit. After I stitched the photos I used a ND Filter (Nik Plug-in) .

I tried your settings but I didn't like it as much as mine maybe my eyes are at fault, the 1st photo is using your settings.

-- hide signature --

Mike

rpps
Like?
In reply to RetiredInFlorida, May 14, 2012

RetiredInFlorida wrote:

well rpps, your clouds look blown out still on my monitor. if the clouds look good on your monitor. your contrast or brightness might be set to low.

to set your brightness or contrast on your monitor. download a few wedding dresses. put them all up in a program and adjust your setting until you can see the most detail.

i was having pull out the shadows because if you print it and hang it. the dark areas will look like black spots when your looking at it.

our monitors are lite and show a lot of things differently than a print. one way to check if colors will print in the color space you have chosen. is to take your image into PSCS and turn on the Gamut Warning. what its gray will not print the colors you see. go View> Gamut Warning to turn it on.

sorry to babble on. all done now.
i really like the photo. i'd be selling that one for sure.

Mike what sort of monitor do you gave? I have a Dell U2412 IPS Screen and I have it calibrated with a Huey Pro and Gamma is set at 2.2. The last photo I posted looks good on my monitor and when I print it off with my Cannon printer the colour and brightness looks exactly what I see on my monitor.

I turned on the Gamut Warning in PS and a lot of photos that I have show up with gray on them no matter how dark or light I edit.

So I don't know what else to do, I edit the RAW fike in ACR and make sure I adjust the shadow/highlights sliders according to the warning arrows abovethe graph on top left hand side .
Here's two more photos they look perfect on my monitor and print up well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads