Shooting Wedding Video with A57

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
Parkerhere
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Shooting Wedding Video with A57
May 12, 2012

Just bought the Sony A57 and plan to shoot video of a wedding in July. Any advise on what SD card to use getting good audio and any other suggestions?

Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,425Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting Wedding Video with A57
In reply to Parkerhere, May 12, 2012

Any class 10 card you should be fine. Don't be foolish like I was by buying Sony branded HG Pro Duo media; any SDHC class 10 will suffice.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DouglasG
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shield3, May 13, 2012

A nice video about audio recording, especially with the Alpha 77

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn-r6akpRzc&list=UUeBM9x3Mos8wihkXBYKOSag&index=1&feature=plcp
--
Sony Nex FS100 | Sony Alpha 77 | Sony Nex 5n
MacPro 8-Core | Led Cinema 24" | 4TB | 32GB
Maya 2013 | Creative suite CS6 | ZBrush4r3

DouglasG's gear list:DouglasG's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
John Koch
Regular MemberPosts: 443
Like?
Do some testing BEFORE the event
In reply to DouglasG, May 13, 2012

Problems you may encounter:

1) Sensor heat. If your wedding shots are long or in close succession, the sensor may get hot and need to rest just as the ceremony reaches the part people want to see. Experiment with long shots or frequent shots over the course of whatever time you expect the event to last at summer heat.

2) Battery life. Video drains batteries fast. The options may be to skip the long winded portions or to insert a second battery during the interminable sermon or homily. If a parent of the couple is speaking though, you will be in big trouble if you drop that part.

3) Low light and focus hunting. The AF may zero in on the wrong object or you may not see details in the EVF or LCD well enough to know what is in focus.

4) Audio. Unless the ceremony is supported by electrical amplification, you may not pick up good audio, or it may be overwhelmed by sounds near the camera or wind.

5) Intense differences in light levels inside and outside the venue. Stick to auto mode, and don't mess with fancy manual settings, unless you practice a lot in advance.

6) Rear views. Ideally, the couple would face the audience, and the clergy face the couple, with an altar in between, but usually you see only the couple from behind, and you don't have the option to stomp up in front of everyone and poke the camera into the couples faces. A discrete remote camera, perhaps hidden amidst holy chalices or candles and flowers, might be an option.

7) A pro who dashes about the ceremony site, as if invisible, but blocking your shots, or introducing staccattos of flash and shutter clatter. Maybe the pro gets "right of way," but reach an understanding with the event sponsor beforehand, and don't block others views or ruin the sanctity if others don't want that.

Some fancy pattern ties or dresses cause moiré, but you probably won't be close enough for that to be a killer issue.

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shield3, May 13, 2012

Shield3 wrote:

Any class 10 card you should be fine. Don't be foolish like I was by buying Sony branded HG Pro Duo media; any SDHC class 10 will suffice.

why is that foolish? are those are more expensive?

Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,425Gear list
Like?
In reply to ET2, May 14, 2012

Yes. $85 for the 32gb model. I had a 5n that kept overheating and someone said it won't if you get the Sony cards as they are slightly smaller. Made 0 difference.

ET2 wrote:

Shield3 wrote:

why is that foolish? are those are more expensive?

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
PhotoCycler
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
Re: Do some testing BEFORE the event
In reply to John Koch, May 14, 2012

John Koch wrote:

Problems you may encounter:

1) Sensor heat. If your wedding shots are long or in close succession, the sensor may get hot and need to rest just as the ceremony reaches the part people want to see.

I thought this was only an issue with the previous SLTs like the A55 and was resolved with the A57/65/77. In any event, turning off the image stabilization supposedly resolves the issue.

Personally, I much rather uses a decent lightweight video camera than a DSLR/SLT for shooting a lengthy video if there's going to be much non-tripod usage. I think the image stabilization in good video cameras like better Sony XR models is better for shooting video than the type of stabilization used in SLTs, although I've never had a chance to compare.

Tim200
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
Re: Do some testing BEFORE the event
In reply to PhotoCycler, May 14, 2012

I think the shooting time has been improved over other models, but the manual still specifically warns about overheating with "longer" use. I haven't tested actual performance.

Parkerhere - If this type of use was the main reason you purchased this camera, I hope you researched and are aware of the limitations so you aren't disappointed. For example, if you are relying on auto focus then you have to deal with the limitations imposed upon aperture. I have an A57 and absolutely love it, but can't imagine getting through a wedding without struggles.

Tim200's gear list:Tim200's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,048Gear list
Like?
Rode microphone
In reply to Parkerhere, May 14, 2012

I use the smaller, newer VideoMic Pro. You'll need an adapter (about $15, or cheaper on eBay) for the Sony's hotshoe.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +2 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,048Gear list
Like?
Shallow DOF ability
In reply to PhotoCycler, May 14, 2012

The dSLR approach will offer more DOF flexibility.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads