E-M5: Dandelion chip enables IBIS in video mode for legacy lenses

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
pnieuwla
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
E-M5: Dandelion chip enables IBIS in video mode for legacy lenses
May 12, 2012

Yesterday my Dandelion chip arrived:

http://peleng8.com/af-lens-adapters/af-chip-dandelion-micro-4-3-af-chip-dandelion-iv-generation-for-micro-4/3.html

I glued it to my MD-M43 adapter which was not straightforward at all because the extra plastic part does not have the same radius. Hard to explalin but I just used a lot of epoxy glue to get it fixed.

Smacked my gorgeous Bokina (Tokina AT-X macro 90/2.5) on the adapter, did some programming of the chip (well documented on Peleg8 site) and voila: IBIS in video mode.

http://youtu.be/JewAEtqXl34

Moonlighter
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
Re: E-M5: Dandelion chip enables IBIS in video mode for legacy lenses
In reply to pnieuwla, May 12, 2012

thank you
thank you
thank you!
I have been waiting for something like this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Agitprop
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
In reply to Moonlighter, May 12, 2012

Fantastic! I ordered 5 last week. One is going on my voightlander, the others are going on canon fd adaptors!

pnieuwla
Like?
In reply to Moonlighter, May 12, 2012

You're welcome. There is 1 thing I forgot to mention: it does not work when video quality is set to Full HD fine, the camera hangs up after 10 s. When set to Full HD normal it works fine.

BTW I just sent an e-mail to Peleng8.com, they might be interested in the good news

helimech
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?
In reply to pnieuwla, May 12, 2012

Any pictures of the adapter with the chip mounted. Can you program it to show the lens description and/or focal length in exif?

Thanks

helimech's gear list:helimech's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
pnieuwla
Like?
In reply to helimech, May 13, 2012

Please hold your orders. There are some major issues with the software. Will get back with a more comprehensive description of these issues tomorrow, now need some sleep

coroander
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
In reply to Agitprop, May 13, 2012

Do you know if there are any issues with attaching this to the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95?

Mal_In_Oz
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Mine doesn't work well
In reply to pnieuwla, May 13, 2012

I tried a chipped adapter (I think it is the dandelion chip) with an OM 50mm f1.4 lens and the IBIS went nuts, going extremely shakey and making sufficient noises that I stopped it immediately.

Probably best to wait until someone confirms compatibility before ordering up big.

[Edit] I have tried several OM lenses at 50mm and 135 mm, and configured the focal length on the camera at the correct value (and various other values) and it still does it.

Mal_In_Oz's gear list:Mal_In_Oz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Agitprop
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
In reply to coroander, May 13, 2012

I don't know yet. I'll tell you when my chips arrive...

pnieuwla
Like?

So, here's the story.

• installed it on the adapter, pictures below:

• started programming on my E-P2 as I wanted to first make sure the chip wouldn't kill my E-M5. Got the focal length (00090), aperture (2.5) and even 'label' correctly set and verified in EXIF.

• put it on the E-M5. First everything seemed to work properly. Aperture, focal length and lable were again shown correctly in EXIF. IBIS worked fine in still (no difference with or without chip with manual FL setting). Also worked fine in video but not in Full HD 'fine'.

• After playing a bit more the E-M5 suddenly started to freeze. Typically it locked up after a few seconds after powering up, then reboot and working properly for 10 s. Then again freeze, reboot, then no problem any more. It also seemed the aperture setting of the chip was screwed up.

• I came to the conclusion the problem is in the program activation of the chip. The chip can be programmed by sending 'aperture close' to the camera within 2.5 s after powering up, and for a certain duration. This duration is default set at 10s. 'Aperture close' can mean a (bulb) shot or DOF preview. But in video mode, and even in still mode I presume the E-M5 is sending out this signal all the time, triggering the program mode of the chip.

• I have now set the duration to a long time (I guess 99 s) and the problem has not occured again, not even after a long time (2 min video up to now)

• I'm keeping on testing, and post again if I have any news. Up to now it seems fine...

pnieuwla
Like?

Update: the settings were screwed up again. Now the FL is set to 33333 mm which made the IBIS go mad. I'll ditch it for now, it's a shame really.

Fa bian
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to coroander, May 15, 2012

coroander wrote:

Do you know if there are any issues with attaching this to the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95?

It fits fine, just use as thin as possible but still strong doublesided tape (e.g. carpettape) and pull the lens from the camera when attaching the lens to the body, there is no space left between chip and camera:

coroander
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
In reply to Fa bian, May 15, 2012

Many thanks for the info!

apekkpul
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
Maybe there is a reason Olympus don't support legacy lenses
In reply to Mal_In_Oz, May 16, 2012

If the reason is commercial (increase the sales of m4/3 native lenses) then it could be ignored, but there might be also a valid technical justification.

Pekka

apekkpul's gear list:apekkpul's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,000Gear list
Like?
Re: Maybe there is a reason Olympus don't support legacy lenses
In reply to apekkpul, May 16, 2012

apekkpul wrote:

If the reason is commercial (increase the sales of m4/3 native lenses) then it could be ignored, but there might be also a valid technical justification.

No. It's a failure to properly reverse engineer the lens communication protocol by the Dandelion designer.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
fooddudeone
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
In reply to baxters, May 24, 2012

Any updates? I am primarily/only an MF user and just sold my 5N to get the OMD. I am also a video-shooter

I really want this to work with MF lenses in video mode.

Any FW fixes yet, or is Dandelion planning to update their chip or make a new chip that's compatible with the OMD without bugs??

Have you heard from them?

fooddudeone
Like?
In reply to fooddudeone, May 27, 2012

Bump

Any chip updates, fixes or new chips maybe?

Anyone get this Dandelion to work properly without all the bugs listed above???

dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,373
Like?
How do you enable...
In reply to pnieuwla, May 27, 2012

...focus confirmation while manually focusing?

pnieuwla wrote:

Yesterday my Dandelion chip arrived:

http://peleng8.com/af-lens-adapters/af-chip-dandelion-micro-4-3-af-chip-dandelion-iv-generation-for-micro-4/3.html

I glued it to my MD-M43 adapter which was not straightforward at all because the extra plastic part does not have the same radius. Hard to explalin but I just used a lot of epoxy glue to get it fixed.

Smacked my gorgeous Bokina (Tokina AT-X macro 90/2.5) on the adapter, did some programming of the chip (well documented on Peleg8 site) and voila: IBIS in video mode.

http://youtu.be/JewAEtqXl34

-- hide signature --
fooddudeone
Like?
Re: How do you enable...
In reply to dotborg, May 27, 2012

Bump for firmware fix, for IBIS in Video-Mode for adapted/non-native lenses.

fooddudeone
Like?
Re: How do you enable...
In reply to dotborg, May 27, 2012

Bump for firmware fix, for IBIS in Video-Mode for adapted/non-native lenses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads