Need a new monitor for Retouching! (Under 450 Euros)

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
ArthurPortheridge
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Need a new monitor for Retouching! (Under 450 Euros)
May 12, 2012

Hi everyone. I'm fresh out of photo school and looking for the best screen I can get within my budget for retouching. Any recommendations? All screens I could find seemed to have one major flaw, the Dell Screens looked dusty according to some reviewers, Asus screens had a red glow... Well so far I found two candidates, but of course feel free to make some other suggestions.

I'm currently looking at the Eizo EV2335W (But I can't seem to find any reviews online!) and the Asus PA246Q (Which seems great but some have warned about a red glow?), what do you think? Some other recommendations?

I'm not the greatest expert in monitors, I mean I know how to Calibrate and I know my colour profiles but that's pretty much it.

Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,148Gear list
Like?
Amazingly good budget display - NEC P221
In reply to ArthurPortheridge, May 14, 2012

I highly recommend NEC's P221, which sells for $420 new and $300 refurbished in the US. The P221 is NEC's 22" budget version of their high-end line, if that makes sense. It omits some frills for the sake of providing the highest quality panel at a relatively low price. The panel is IPS. It is not wide-gamut, as almost all budget displays are not. But, once calibrated, it very closely matches the white point and color rendition of NEC's high-end PA271. I know because I own both. The P221 is also the only budget display NEC makes that works with NEC's Spectraview calibration system, which I highly recommend. To my mind, this is the only budget display worth consideration if your goal is professional color accuracy. Lesser displays from Apple, Samsung and others might be perfectly usable, but the differences between them and the NECs are NOT subtle.

Most of the working pros I know here in NYC use NEC or Eizo, with an occasional LaCie or Apple display. I consider anything else highly suspect, with the possible exception of some Dell Ultrasharp models.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads