Leica should develop a cheaper body!!!!!

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
Leos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,066
Like?
Re: Leica should develop a cheaper body!!!!!
In reply to PeterLeyssens, Sep 18, 2012

PeterLeyssens wrote:

Done, the cheaper body is a fact. Now let's see if it goes selling like hot cakes like you predicted.

Its not cheaper than the M9 ? Only uglier and missing a few features

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PeterLeyssens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,495
Like?
In reply to Leos, Sep 18, 2012

Leos wrote:

Its not cheaper than the M9 ? Only uglier and missing a few features

No ? B&H has the Leica M9 at $7K and this is announced at $5,5K. That's enough to buy you a Summarit lens to go with the body. In the UK, it's 5K vs 4K pounds resp. Strange they didn't announce Euro pricings.

Peter.

jase
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
In reply to Theo Peters, Sep 18, 2012

In an alternate universe Leica is owned by sensible people. At Photokina they have just announced a camera called the M10 which is just like the new Leica M but it costs £1500 and comes with an EVF in the box. They also make a camera like the ME but it costs £900, it's called the M9 and they didn't bother making an announcement.
--
jase

jase's gear list:jase's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Leica M9 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/21 ZM +8 more
laquila65
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
In reply to jase, Sep 19, 2012

I think Leica shouldn't change a thing. They should continue producing the same classic look and feel cameras for as long as they can. And when they can't, they should call it quits, meaning they should switch to producing "technology" crap priced accordingly. Oh wait, that's what people here have been proposing all along, haven't they? Well, it'll come to this, it always does, so hang in there...

Then again, I don't see why wait. Nikon, Canon, and Sony are out there right now with all the technology readily available. For 300 bucks you can have it all: high megapixels, high ISO, live view, touch screen, electronic viewfinder, focus peaking, HD video, pocket size, even the ability to use Leica glass! I mean, 300 bucks, folks! The future is HERE!!!

I can't really afford a brand new Leica, but I can afford a slightly used one, so the current state of things works for me. Back in the day, I could afford a used S-class W140 Mercedes and I bought one. Today's MB is no different than a Toyota, so what's the point? Same is going to happen to Leica. To me, the day a Leica camera receives a live view and an EVF will be the end of Leica. Oh wait, it did happen! To quote a classic, the more things change, the more they suck!

laquila65's gear list:laquila65's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D40 Nikon D80 Canon EOS 550D +4 more
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,343Gear list
Like?
Yeah.. change really sucks...
In reply to laquila65, Sep 19, 2012

laquila65 wrote:

Back in the day, I could afford a used S-class W140 Mercedes and I bought one. Today's MB is no different than a Toyota, so what's the point? Same is going to happen to Leica. To me, the day a Leica camera receives a live view and an EVF will be the end of Leica. Oh wait, it did happen! To quote a classic, the more things change, the more they suck!

Yeah, I was happy back in the day when TVs were black and white.. then they came out with those new-fangled color TVs.. then they made them flat screens with high definition.. bleh! Same goes for telephones.. I liked the old phones where you had to actually dial a number using a rotary dial.. not using buttons.

I'm with you.... Change really sucks doesn't it?

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
Blog: http://boxedlight.com/blog

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Dude Man
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
In reply to laquila65, Sep 19, 2012

laquila65 wrote:

I can't really afford a brand new Leica. Back in the day, I could afford a used S-class > W140 Mercedes and I bought one. Today's MB is no different than a Toyota, so what's > the point?

I'm with ya mam. When I went car shopping I couldn't tell the difference between a Corolla and E Class Mercedes. So I just got the Corolla. All that newfangled gear like power windows and wheels without hubcaps are for crap. I know Mercedes did away with hubcaps just to save money. When I saw the hubcaps on my Corolla I knew Toyota wasn't cutting any corners. Automobiles plateaued with air conditioning. Now that all cars have air conditioning they're all the same. My Corolla gives me the same driving experience than any Mercedes model. For the love of all things holy I just wish Leica would go back to film so we could all be happy again.
--
We're them ole boys raised on shot guns

Dude Man's gear list:Dude Man's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +5 more
laquila65
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Re: Yeah.. change really sucks...
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Sep 19, 2012

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

Yeah, I was happy back in the day when TVs were black and white.. then they came out with those new-fangled color TVs.. then they made them flat screens with high definition.. bleh! Same goes for telephones.. I liked the old phones where you had to actually dial a number using a rotary dial.. not using buttons.

I'm with you.... Change really sucks doesn't it?

The way it goes on now, yes, change sucks. Name one photographer you admire who had a habit of replacing his/her cameras every 6 to 12 months (photographers on Nikon payroll don't count). Enough changes already, please.

Speaking of TV's, my grandmother hated color TVs. To her, people's faces looked unnatural on them, so she continued to watch a black-and-white set till the end (but B&W does look good, doesn't it?). Also, this may surprise you, but a phone with a rotary dial had never prevented me from enjoying a conversation

My point is, a true Leica has everything needed to make great photographs. The "technology" only gets in the way. Some technology is OK, but, like I said earlier, enough is enough, god dammit!

laquila65's gear list:laquila65's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D40 Nikon D80 Canon EOS 550D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads