Leica should develop a cheaper body!!!!!

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,762
Like?
Re: Leica should develop a cheaper body!!!!!
In reply to Theo Peters, May 14, 2012

They did. It's called a Panasonic.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tubeman
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Re: Depends if there's a market for it....
In reply to PSCL1, May 14, 2012

I owned and loved a Leitz Minolta CL too. With the 40 and the 90, it was a wonderfully compact system capable of outstanding results. Yeah, there were coating issues with the 28 mm lens, the silvering in the rangefinder wasn't forever, and the semaphore arm and meter cell were a little finicky. Mine was stolen before those problems arose.

Wasn't the CL Wetzlar's first reaction to the Japanse SLRs and compacts eroding their sales? And, as noted elsewhere it did siphon sales of the largely unloved M5 (although I have one of those ungainly beasts now and enjoy it very much). If sales of their curent digital offerings start to swoon, why wouldn't they take the same approach as they did with the CL? It's better to sell something, if nothing else to provide a vehicle to sell your lenses.

I'd buy a full format sensor digital CL in a heartbeat for $2K or less.

shaocaholica
Contributing MemberPosts: 839
Like?
In reply to Theo Peters, May 14, 2012

Someone here said that if Leica ever released an 'affordable' M, it would spell the beginning of the end for the company.

BobYIL
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?
Re: Leica should NOT develop a cheaper body!!!!! (Large Image!)
In reply to Skipper494, May 14, 2012

Leica should first concentrate on catching up with the present state of the technology; improve dependability/ reliability of their cameras, while opening boutiqes should establish more service stations to stop sending cameras to Solms to take weeks sometimes months. The year 2012 has seen cameras with 24MP sensors, ISO 12800 usable output to be offered for $700 together with zoom; these give us some hints about what the year 2013 might bring. Digital photography is improving in leaps these months.. Leica is not being used anymore by the ones who made Leica what it was; it's not the choice of photographers let alone the photojournalists in our day. Slowly even the members of such forums are migrating to some other brands.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. This is a JPEG (not RAW!) out of a camera costing $3.300 and taken with a zoom (!).. Inquire yourself whether you'd like to obtain this IQ from your Leica or not. And then start pondering about how much you are ready to pay for such a Leica.

The above are from one who has been using Leicas since 1963 and still owning more than a dozen.

-- hide signature --

BobYIL

Elliot H
Contributing MemberPosts: 985
Like?
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, May 14, 2012

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

Know this... Leica will develop nothing that might impact the sale of their M system in a negative way.

unless they'll develop a large capacity for more "entry" level RFs
could happen (if they give up a bit of tradition) and would lead
to more profitability long term from an increased customer base

magneto shot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
Like?
In reply to ulfie, May 14, 2012

ulfie wrote:

Leica did once back in film days though via its partnership with then-Minolta: The Leitz-Minolta CL. Then came the CL3 from Minolta only.

Why not again today? ulfie

of course they will! the new minolta is sony, so lets see which new lineup
comes with sony sensors.....

magneto shot's gear list:magneto shot's gear list
Leica X Vario Sigma SD15 Leica M9 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Nikon D4 +2 more
BobYIL
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?
In reply to BobYIL, May 14, 2012

BobYIL wrote:

In case of having difficulty in downloading the picture, you may try the URL below by eliminating the "&" sign at the end:

http://pcfoto.biz/images/testovi/Nikon_D800E_preview/048_T10p_galerija_n70-200_f2-8gVRII_jpg.jpg&

-- hide signature --

BobYIL

ravinj
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobYIL, May 15, 2012

BobYIL wrote:

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. This is a JPEG (not RAW!) out of a camera costing $3.300 and taken with a zoom (!).. Inquire yourself whether you'd like to obtain this IQ from your Leica or not. And then start pondering about how much you are ready to pay for such a Leica.

The above are from one who has been using Leicas since 1963 and still owning more than a dozen.

To be honest, I wouldn't like such an output from my Leica. If I was a dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon, looking for facial hair, then maybe.

ravinj's gear list:ravinj's gear list
Leica S2 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
mandophoto
Regular MemberPosts: 452
Like?
No.
In reply to Theo Peters, May 15, 2012

A less expensive body makes sense until you consider what the demand for lenses would be. As Irakly Shanidze pointed out, Leica can barely manage current demand.

Theo Peters
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, May 15, 2012

Just start a discussion to hear many opinions......

And for your information I know what I am talking about, the demand for M9 is very low compare to many people who take photographs.

It would be nice that as example "Leica/Panasonic"is coming out with a body what have a M mount, so that more people who not in that financial sutuation to buy a M8 or M9, can used the Leica lenses.....
Lets wait for Photokina 2012

Just a thought.

jase
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?

Theo Peters wrote:

My thoughts about Leica, they should develop a cheaper body like What Soney is doing with Nex 7 and maybe further Nex8-9 etc.

This new M9 monochrom is absurd price wise.......

A cheaper quality body is going for leica a big selling point and boost in sales
This is all what it is in this and other business, make "PROFIT"

Just my thoughts.

Theo

No, I think Nikon or Canon should make one.

I'll have a £1000 Digital Nikon S3 please, no make that two.

-- hide signature --

jase

jase's gear list:jase's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Leica M9 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/21 ZM +8 more
PeterLeyssens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487
Like?

Hi Theo,

Theo Peters wrote:

My thoughts about Leica, they should develop a cheaper body like What Soney is doing with Nex 7 and maybe further Nex8-9 etc.

They should. Just as much as Rolls Royce should make a small city car, like the Toyota Aigo. Maybe you are just looking at the wrong brand. If you like the Sony (sic), then buy a Sony. You can use your Leica lenses on it with a convertor. If you want a full rangefinder, be prepared to pay premium. Remember that doing anything mechanically these days comes at a premium: the cheap way is to build in a chip and do it in software. And a rangefinder is a very fine mechanic indeed, so hence the very high price.

The M-M price also reflects the small market Leica anticipates for a B&W only camera, obviously.

Peter.

Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
In reply to PeterLeyssens, May 16, 2012

Both Rolls-Royce and Bentley went bust catering to the 'let's do it like we always did' (i.e. 'rangefinder') customer - whilst competitors left them behind technologically.

VW and BMW bought the rights and now produce modern versions of these brands. Historians may bemoan the passing of an era - but both brands now compete equally on the luxury car scene ... often trouncing competitors on both price and luxury.

BMW also revived the Mini brand name - again, nothing like it's forebear - but with similar ethos, re-engineered for the 21st century - still a bargain too (at modern day prices).

Do Leica have to remain in the Dark Ages - selling over-priced products - largely to the vain collector, in order to remain true to it's roots? Leica were once the innovators, now they are rapidly being viewed by the wider photo-community as a bit of a joke.

PeterLeyssens wrote:
Hi Theo,

Theo Peters wrote:

They should. Just as much as Rolls Royce should make a small city car, like the Toyota Aigo. Maybe you are just looking at the wrong brand. If you like the Sony (sic), then buy a Sony. You can use your Leica lenses on it with a convertor. If you want a full rangefinder, be prepared to pay premium. Remember that doing anything mechanically these days comes at a premium: the cheap way is to build in a chip and do it in software. And a rangefinder is a very fine mechanic indeed, so hence the very high price.

The M-M price also reflects the small market Leica anticipates for a B&W only camera, obviously.

Peter.

MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Theo Peters, May 16, 2012

I think not.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
Theo Peters
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Sep 17, 2012

May 14, I start the discussion about a cheaper lerica camera, you and many more NOT agree, but it is available now at the Photokina 2012, I was correct in my thoughts.

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,492Gear list
Like?
In reply to Theo Peters, Sep 17, 2012

Theo Peters wrote:

May 14, I start the discussion about a cheaper lerica camera, you and many more NOT agree, but it is available now at the Photokina 2012, I was correct in my thoughts.

....and what a waste it is.

love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,639
Like?
In reply to Theo Peters, Sep 18, 2012

And Rolls Royce should make a $30,000 car? They won't and can't make cheaper products and be able to compete well at those segments.

Good news is if you really like the nex 7 or wish for a ff nex type of body. You can't go wrong with Sony and a Leica adapter.

Theo Peters wrote:

This new M9 monochrom is absurd price wise.......

A cheaper quality body is going for leica a big selling point and boost in sales

Just my thoughts.

Theo

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,446Gear list
Like?
In that case...
In reply to ravinj, Sep 18, 2012

just put cheap glass on the camera to dumb the IQ down.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,446Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photozopia, Sep 18, 2012

I am intrigued by the rangefinder, but no way am I well enough heeled to buy one unless it was an old film M3.

While it would be nice if Leica could produce an affordable rangefinder (somewhere at about the D600 price point) I think it would kill Leica's bread and butter M line and Leica would not have the production capacity to serve a low end market without using a proxy like Panasonic to produce it.

A low cost rangefinder just does not fit the Leica marketing model.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
PeterLeyssens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487
Like?
In reply to Theo Peters, Sep 18, 2012

Hi Theo,

Theo Peters wrote:

Done, the cheaper body is a fact. Now let's see if it goes selling like hot cakes like you predicted.

Peter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads