My firts encounter with a77

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
phiri
Contributing MemberPosts: 967Gear list
Like?
My firts encounter with a77
May 12, 2012

After partcipating in many debates, reading so many reviews and been to so many photography websites, being a guy, the curiosity side of me took me the nearest Sony Center. Ther I spent thirty minutes with the camera trying to assess what it is like. I particularly concentrated on two things, shooting speed and EVF. The camera is well built that is for sure and it has speed that scares my hands.

First, commenting on the size of the viewfinder, I did not feel that it was bigger than my D7000, but I could not be sure since my camera was left home. But certainly from my memory, the D700 viefinder appeared to be comparatively bigger and I could just imagine what the A900 viewfinder is like.

Not wanting this to be another EVF vs OVF, I can say this about the EVF. I did not mind it but it felt different. For one thing being used to see the world in 3D with the OVF, the 2D of the EVF was a little bit uncomfortable. On top of that the EVF, in my opinion did not accurately represent the authenticity of the scene I was looking at and always made me a little bit disconnected with the scene. I know these kind of things takes time to get used to and even the guy at the center said about that but it just made everything different. While I know that EVF is the future, it will take a little bit of time before it could be acceptable to the vast majority of people but surely it will get there one day. The horizontal leveller in the EVF was kind of cool.

The thing with EVF is there is no right or wrong. Some will like it and that is good for them and others will not, and that is no problem. It only becomes a problem when switching systems becomes the only option. But surely, the future becomes kind of interesting as we wait to see what kind of technologies are yet to become available

phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,194Gear list
Like?
Don't let the EVF Hold You Back
In reply to phiri, May 12, 2012

phiri wrote:

Not wanting this to be another EVF vs OVF, I can say this about the EVF. I did not mind it but it felt different. For one thing being used to see the world in 3D with the OVF, the 2D of the EVF was a little bit uncomfortable.

Good observation and well put.

The thing with EVF is there is no right or wrong. Some will like it and that is good for them and others will not, and that is no problem. It only becomes a problem when switching systems becomes the only option.

I'm guessing you weren't paying much attention to this little corner of the internet in the months leading up to the release of the a65 and a77, but there were a fair number of us that swore to God they would abandon the Sony ship rather than look at an EVF. Now that the camera is out and in use there is very little clamor for a camera with an OVF. As a group, we've gotten perfectly used to the EVF and enjoy the advantages it offers. Don't let the view finder hold you back from buying the Sony.

-- hide signature --

Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
daho
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
3D ??

Can you tell me how you see 3D with one eye (or 1 lens, if you somehow manage to look with both eyes into your OVF)?
I'd like to use that trick too!

Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,032Gear list
Like?
Re: 3D ??
In reply to daho, May 12, 2012

daho wrote:

Can you tell me how you see 3D with one eye (or 1 lens, if you somehow manage to look with both eyes into your OVF)?

Seeing 3D through an optical viewfinder?????? That statement alone destroys any credibility to the original post!
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +4 more
Karl Scharf
Like?
Re: My firts encounter with a77

Troll alert!
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +4 more
phiri
Like?

daho wrote:

If you close your one eye, do you see the world in 2d? Try closing your eye and look around with one eye, there is not much difference. Distances do not all of a sudden change. Dont really take the philosophy of the tv manufacturers.

Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
phiri
Like?
In reply to Karl Scharf, May 12, 2012

Karl Scharf wrote:

Troll alert!
--

This is the problem with this forum. You cannot really express honest opinions unless it is all praise. Reread what I said, i did not say the EVF was bad and I said that i did not mind it but it certainly felt different. What did you want me to write?

EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,528Gear list
Like?
Re: My first encounter with a77

One of the nice things about the spirit level is something I noticed this weekend.

I shot a First holy communion from a seated position in the church about five rows from the front. I was able to extend my arms straight above my hands which put the LCD about 30 inches from my eyes... I could not see the scene clearly but enough to get in frame what I wanted...but because of the green lights on the spirit level I was able to get a perfectly level shot confidently... and I did it without having to stand which was not allowed during the ceremony. No one said you could not extend your arms.. I could have never got those shots with my A700 or any optical view finder for that matter..The three axis LCD helped with this as well. Live view, articulation LCD and spirit level just added so much in the way of options to get the shot. I cant say enough about this camera.
--
Bill
Capturing memories, one at a time.

Visit my Smug Mug Galleries at:
http://evil-twin.smugmug.com/

Karl Scharf
Like?

phiri wrote:

daho wrote:

If you close your one eye, do you see the world in 2d? Try closing your eye and look around with one eye, there is not much difference. Distances do not all of a sudden change. Dont really take the philosophy of the tv manufacturers.

Yes, and when I close both eyes I dream of how happy I am with my A77.
--

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,363
Like?

phiri wrote:

daho wrote:

Your brains try to guess depth based on historic observations, which is not the same as seeing depth through two eyes. The former isn't 3D just as using an EVF isn't.
Try catching fast thrown balls with one eye, or play tennis with one eye.

As for the size of the viewfinder, it's a hair larger than a D700 viewfinder.

daho
Like?
yes

With one eye you see everything in 2D. As you do through an OVF and an EVF.

daho
Like?

Stop calling everybody a troll... I recall that you were very quick to call the first pictures of the A77 an "obvious fake". Were you trolling then?

While I don't agree with most of phiri's past posts in the pointless EVF against OVF debates, at least he looked at one now and seems to be a bit surprised. And he's entitled to his opinion.
It's just that an OVF is not 3D.

Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,160Gear list
Like?
Re: My first encounter with a77
In reply to EvilOne, May 12, 2012

I shot with an A77 and saw absolutely no difference shooting with an EVF versus an OVF. It didn't improve or degrade the quality of my images. Don't know about all this talk about 3D but one thing is for sure, the AF system is better than my Canon 5D MK II. The 16-50mm lens is sharper than my Canon 24-105mm L glass lens and it was even weather sealed!. I'm sold on the A77. It truly is a fantastic camera for the money.

The 16-50mm lens is one of the best lenses I've ever seen bundled with a camera system at a discount. Sony has a winner.

Karl Scharf
Like?

daho wrote:

Stop calling everybody a troll... I recall that you were very quick to call the first pictures of the A77 an "obvious fake". Were you trolling then?

Just look at phiri's gear list and ask yourself what his motive might be, to constantly post in the 'Sony' talk forum. If I am wrong, then so be it.
--

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,924Gear list
Like?
STFU - good grief

are you pretending to be dumb?

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,528Gear list
Like?
Re: STFU - good grief
In reply to liquid stereo, May 12, 2012

Glad this thread stayed " On Topic" ....
--
Bill
Capturing memories, one at a time.

Visit my Smug Mug Galleries at:
http://evil-twin.smugmug.com/

kvangelder
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Re: yes

I think things are a bit more complicated. Stereo is a 3D illusion made up from two flat images that simulates the depth of the real world. What we call 2D is really 2D, but what we call 3D isn't really 3D. If you're looking through one eye, the depth of the real world is still there and you see it, albeit not so good as with two eyes. Even if you can't grasp fast moving objects, you can grasp others (at least, I can). It's not because you need two eyes for a 3D illusion, that you can't see depth at all with one eye. With OVF, of course, there already are mirrors and lenses between your one eye and the real world, and there is the reduction factor. I wanted the A580 for the OVF untill I ltried the EVF of the A65.

kvangelder's gear list:kvangelder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +8 more
Samsolar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,013Gear list
Like?
In reply to EvilOne, May 12, 2012

3D and the lack of the speed of light are two strikes against the EVF. ;).

Samsolar's gear list:Samsolar's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,363
Like?
Re: yes
In reply to kvangelder, May 12, 2012

It's not just fast moving objects that can fool the brains when they use a look up table like method in determining depth based on earlier observations and memories. Basically everything that isn't covered by the former observations and memories, the unexpected, can do that.

Karl Scharf
Like?
In reply to Samsolar, May 12, 2012

Samsolar wrote:

3D and the lack of the speed of light are two strikes against the EVF. ;).

Hah, hah, good one!!
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads