Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC going back

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346Gear list
Like?
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC going back
May 12, 2012

I used the lens just like I use all my IS & OS lenses. Hand held in low light and normal light. I never turn the stabilization off. I have to have it on all my lenses because of my Famial Tremors and I can't walk around with a tri-pod because I'm disabled. With my Canon 15-85 IS, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS II and Canon 100-400 IS lenses the stabilization works almost perfectly for me. When I used the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC I had to wait what to me was at least twice as long for the VC to lock on than any of my other lenses. Also, when I checked it against my 15-85 at 24mm and the same distance from the subject the 15-85 IS stabilized better than the Tamron 24-70 VC. I didn't see any sense in paying $1299.00 for a VC lens that didn't work all that great.

Using it for action shots is not all that great. I'm meaning BIF shots and wild life shots in general. You can miss a lot of good opportunitys waiting for a lens.

I'm not into test that measure every detail of everything at all mm's and f/stops. I test a lens the way I use it and if it doesn't work for me, that's what I need to know.

I also had to saturate all the images I took with it' I could have changed the camera settings and taken care of that but then I;'m forever forgetting to change back. Didn't want the hassle for one lens.

-- hide signature --
Don Richardson
Like?
Re: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC going back
In reply to Don Richardson, May 13, 2012

What? Ten hours and no one cares to comment?
--
DonR
http://donr.zenfolio.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MI6gunny
Contributing MemberPosts: 518Gear list
Like?

So it was that bad?

Don Richardson wrote:

--
DonR

-- hide signature --

D. Fortune

MI6gunny's gear list:MI6gunny's gear list
Nikon D5000 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +3 more
wallybarthman
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?

I haven't any issues with the VC not kicking in as soon as I depress the shutter - it seems as responsive and quick as my 24-105 f/4L and my 70-200 f2.8 OS HSM. Sounds like something is goofy

wallybarthman's gear list:wallybarthman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,826Gear list
Like?
In reply to Don Richardson, May 14, 2012

Don Richardson wrote:

I used the lens just like I use all my IS & OS lenses. Hand held in low light and normal light. I never turn the stabilization off. I have to have it on all my lenses because of my Famial Tremors and I can't walk around with a tri-pod because I'm disabled. With my Canon 15-85 IS, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS II and Canon 100-400 IS lenses the stabilization works almost perfectly for me. When I used the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC I had to wait what to me was at least twice as long for the VC to lock on than any of my other lenses. Also, when I checked it against my 15-85 at 24mm and the same distance from the subject the 15-85 IS stabilized better than the Tamron 24-70 VC. I didn't see any sense in paying $1299.00 for a VC lens that didn't work all that great.

Welcome to Earlyadopterville, next stop Disappointmentland! No, seriously right now it really seems to be hit or miss with this lens, plus with third party lenses you always run the risk of something being not quite right. And not too surprising considering it's a brand new lens. It could be something they'll fine tune as the model goes through its life cycle. I usually wait a bit for any product to get "shaken out".

Using it for action shots is not all that great. I'm meaning BIF shots and wild life shots in general. You can miss a lot of good opportunitys waiting for a lens.

Hmm, it never really struck me of having a good length for BIF or wildlife. You must be one sneaky dude.

I'm not into test that measure every detail of everything at all mm's and f/stops. I test a lens the way I use it and if it doesn't work for me, that's what I need to know.

Agreed for the most part - I'm good with testing a lens to make sure I'm not doing something wrong (front/back focus) - or if there's any possible path to correction. But if it's general AF issues, or especially IS/OS/VC - that's not correctable.

I also had to saturate all the images I took with it' I could have changed the camera settings and taken care of that but then I;'m forever forgetting to change back. Didn't want the hassle for one lens.
DonR

Honestly, if I can't shoot JPEG if I want to the lens is useless. It's really amazing how little PP I do, and I pretty much feel if it's necessary it's really a duff shot. Personally, I'd probably try one more copy just to be sure - but that's entirely your call. VC is one thing, but if the general overall look isn't doing it for you then there's probably no getting it with that lens.

BTW, a lot of folks don't check into the forum on weekends - especially if the weather is nice - I've been out shooting! Oh yeah, and the Mother's Day brunch thing.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
Don Richardson
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, May 14, 2012

A lot of people have had no problem with the lens and it was probably just the copy I got but I'm going to wait for a while before re-ordering. I want the lens to go with my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 IS II lens but only after I see that it's been tweaked a little.

DonR

Don Richardson
Like?
In reply to MI6gunny, May 14, 2012

Just re-read the OP and the things that were bad are stated there. No sense in re-stating them.

DonR

MI6gunny wrote:
So it was that bad?

Don Richardson wrote:

--
DonR

-- hide signature --

D. Fortune

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads