Anyone else bored with their D800?

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
Nippondenso
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
Anyone else bored with their D800?
May 12, 2012

After having this camera for a couple weeks and shooting the hell out of it in pretty much all shooting situations, I seem to be somewhat bored with it. Yeah, I know the AF is kick-butt awesome and rarely missing a beat. The ISO performance is good enough. The images are great and all that, but the added workflow produced by this camera over a 12-16MP body seems a bit overkill.

This is in no way a knock on the D800 as it is an amazing body. As I said, it is an amazing camera and works better than advertised, but after spending $3,000 for the body and buying a half dozen 32GB cards, the added cost of ownership doesn't seem logical. Maybe I'm just being too logical and looking at the D800 as another tool in my box to get the job done. That's just it, I was content with 12MPs and bought into the D800 new gear hype and the lure of 36MPs. To me the D800 is a tool in my box that will be passed over more often than not.

Maybe the D800 is going to be that unwanted stepchild that wants to fit in but can't?

Why did I buy the D800? At this point I really don't have a justifiable reason to lie to myself to make me feel better.

Manny82
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
Re: Anyone else bored with their D800?
In reply to Nippondenso, May 12, 2012

I've always maintained 36MP is overkill for most people. Sure there are people who will make use of it, but like you said, when the novelty of your new kit has worn off, it's just another camera. Then ask yourself, do you really need everything it does over a D700 in your everyday shooting? Are the slight advantages worth the huge negatives?

Even 23MP (or whatever it is) is more than enough hence why Canon didn't deviate from this. And even then, Canon offer a small-raw option - about 12MP. This is great!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bander
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?

The morning after. You need to get back to your faithful 12mp. Some relationships are just too high maintenance.

Oh, I'm keeping my D800. Great camera. Makes me want to throw everything else away. I used my 5D2 yesterday and after a couple shots tossed it back in the bag. The D800 is serious medicine for photographers. If you you don't like it and don't enjoy using it, send it back or sell it.
--
Canon and Nikon Equipment
I never met a camera I didn't like.
http://www.pbase.com/bander

Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?

i guess the question is, what did you expect? everybody knows that ultimately, it's not the camera that makes the magic. you've got the tool part right, but it's the other thing -- the one in your head -- that makes the magic happen... or not.

Grevture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,861Gear list
Like?
Don't apply logic to non-logic activities

Nippondenso wrote:

After having this camera for a couple weeks and shooting the hell out of it in pretty much all shooting situations, I seem to be somewhat bored with it. Yeah, I know the AF is kick-butt awesome and rarely missing a beat. The ISO performance is good enough. The images are great and all that, but the added workflow produced by this camera over a 12-16MP body seems a bit overkill.

This is in no way a knock on the D800 as it is an amazing body. As I said, it is an amazing camera and works better than advertised, but after spending $3,000 for the body and buying a half dozen 32GB cards, the added cost of ownership doesn't seem logical. Maybe I'm just being too logical and looking at the D800 as another tool in my box to get the job done. That's just it, I was content with 12MPs and bought into the D800 new gear hype and the lure of 36MPs. To me the D800 is a tool in my box that will be passed over more often than not.

Maybe the D800 is going to be that unwanted stepchild that wants to fit in but can't?

Why did I buy the D800? At this point I really don't have a justifiable reason to lie to myself to make me feel better.

Why did I buy that new car, the old one got me to work just as well?
Why did I buy those new golf clubs, I get about the same results with them?

Why did I buy ... [insert random upgraded equipment here], the results seem almost the same?

Having a hobby has very little to do with logic. Trying to apply logic to it usually only lead to depressing results. Don't. Just enjoy it the best you can

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
allenns
Contributing MemberPosts: 662
Like?

Like all cameras it takes pictures and for sure better than most DSLR's on the market today but photography is all about taking pictures (gives me much more excitement to capture that superb shot) although the D800 like other top DSLR's have some nice add ons and manipulations for the tech minded. I guess its down to whether or not you are a techy wanting to possess the latest gear at all costs or go out or in and take some great pictures. I think most of us here in the photography world whether or not we be amateurs, semi-Amateurs or Pros etc have the materialistic bug inside us (whether we admit it or not lets be honest). I got the D800 3 weeks ago and used it twice shooting about the countryside here in Uk but weather has been atrocious and that doesn't help. It has some nice features I wanted over that of the D7000 I sold on e-bay but my D5100 is still a beauty with its flip out LCD and picture quality (sad that the D800 did not have it). Albeit though the camera has like yours been stuffed most of the time in its bag and cupboard and once you have it the excitement wears down. Its like any techy toy the initial hype fades away. I have also the Nikon P150 and it serves most needs of mine and has surprisingly not left my side-strange eh! This camera and its partners the D4/E have taken many of us in the after event by surprise with its extreme demand worldwide-in the current financial climate this might perhaps be even more surprising considering their very high cost plus the need for good quality lenses they can swallow up ones credit card limitations easily. I am still paying the cost and my wife screaming at me that we have other priorities in life so there you have it.

Shiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 802
Like?

Not bored, exactly. It is what it is - just another tool. I use medium format digital very often, so it's not possible to surprise me with resolution. I don't enjoy working with 35mm SLR bodies. But I do need the flexibly they offer, so always keep a fairly comprehensive system on-hand. I no longer want to spend on over-engineered bodies, though, so the D800e is the sensible, low-cost alternative.

I've just been taping over the Nikon branding on my unit. I must say that I find the look of the thing really unappealing. Hopefully, a Chinese knock-off grip will cheer it up, a bit.

I still smile when I pick up my ancient RD-1 bodies, or the GF-1, and, lately, the X100. I won't bond with the D800e in the same way. Doesn't matter. It will do what I need it to do.

Shiner

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,786
Like?

You didn't have a reason to spend $3000..... but the "added cost of ownership" is a problem??

That is funny stuff Nippondenso, you had me for a minute :).

Nippondenso
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, May 12, 2012

Clayton1985 wrote:

You didn't have a reason to spend $3000..... but the "added cost of ownership" is a problem??

That is funny stuff Nippondenso, you had me for a minute :).

Where did I say it was a problem? Just looking at it from a logical perspective while considering value per buck. To me the the D4 is a bargain and a second one is on its way. Don't think I have yet brought myself to sell the D800. Maybe if I let is sit for a few weeks I might rediscover it again?

maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,564
Like?
Appreciating what we have...

...you don't.

Personally, I bored with my Ferrari. After three weeks of driving
around, it doesn't get me to work any better than my Pinto.

maljo

luchs
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?

Maybe, instead of taking so many pictures You should try to make the best out of a few. I learned a few new tricks to better reduce the count of pictures by using the LR multiview and compare screens to better evaluate the quality.

I also think it is reasonable to convert the snapshots to about 20MB JPEG and delete the RAWs. Unfortunately the Adobe highly compressed DNG format is not much more than JPEG and still experimental, as far as I read. Otherwise it also would be a good format to reduce the amout of data.

Nippondenso
Like?
Re: Appreciating what we have...
In reply to maljo@inreach.com, May 12, 2012

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

...you don't.

You too? I've been using mine for drifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXjVFjdDVwg

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,786
Like?

Oh, I thought you were being funny... sorry. Usually when I buy something for $3000 that I don't need, its hard for me to find the cost of additional ownership illogical.

Also, you didn't have a reason for buying the D800... and you know that you only want 12mp or so.... and you have a D4?? are you sure you aren't being funny?

If you are being serious then I can only say that IMO a couple of weeks is not enough time to evaluate the D800 or any camera for that matter.

mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,135Gear list
Like?

Nippondenso wrote:

After having this camera for a couple weeks and shooting the hell out of it in pretty much all shooting situations, I seem to be somewhat bored with it.

I envy you! I know that the moment will come when I lose interest in it. So far I am in this enthusiastic learning process of understanding all its ups and downs. In a few weeks or months, the novelty will have worn off, and I will only take it out for those special shots. Or it will be the camera I grab, just to have something to shoot with in case something turns up.

Anyhow, you seem to have already settled down, and that is not bad.

Yeah, I know the AF is kick-butt awesome and rarely missing a beat. The ISO performance is good enough. The images are great and all that, but the added workflow produced by this camera over a 12-16MP body seems a bit overkill.

I already made that transition. I use it very much like a DX body. I reprogrammed the Preview button to quickly change between FX and DX, and I only use FX when I need it: for pictures with plenty of details, when I want a really narrow depth of field, or when I want a wider view than the DX mode allows for the current lens.

Some people will need FX and 36M all the time. To me DX and 15M is sufficient in many situations.

davesee
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

Turns out the D800 is just a camera after all.

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Confessions of a Gearhead

Nippondenso wrote:

After having this camera for a couple weeks and shooting the hell out of it in pretty much all shooting situations, I seem to be somewhat bored with it.

Spoken like a true Gearhead.

arizonadesertrat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319Gear list
Like?

LMAO!!

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

...you don't.

maljo

-- hide signature --

Fiat Lux

arizonadesertrat's gear list:arizonadesertrat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +12 more
BeefHammer
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

I'm also bored with my Ferrari. Even after last week when I drove it around like a dumbass on top of ancient Chinese historical sites, it just doesn't excite me anymore. Fortunately, they photographed me with the left side of the D800's sensor, so there's no way I'll be in focus enough for them to prove it's me.

Many Feathers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,688Gear list
Like?
No boredom here...I continue to be amazed

and wish I had more time to play. Have had the camera maybe 1 1/2 weeks. Just today, I went to shoot some Purple Martins...lousy overcast weather for them. But, I gotta do something!!! So, I just shot a few and was amazed at the detail of the D800 over my best shots of them last year with the D700. Autofocus incredible too!!!

So much fun!

MF

studio311
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?

All sounds pretty reasonable to me. Sell it. You could take a pretty nice trip for $3k and get some incredible 12MP images.

Nippondenso wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads