Zoo w/ A65 and Tamron SP 70-300USD or kit lens

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
Spillicus
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?
Zoo w/ A65 and Tamron SP 70-300USD or kit lens
May 12, 2012

I know, zoo shots are kind of cliche, but with enough people posting threads that they're looking at buying either the camera or lens, I figure more sample shots can't hurt. And maybe I'll learn something from your comments anyway.

Close in shots with SAL1855 kit lens, longer shots with Tamron SP 70-300 USD.

That's my arm he's on, so it was shot one handed and blind.

Spillicus's gear list:Spillicus's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD
_Fotogrfr_
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
Re: Zoo w/ A65 and Tamron SP 70-300USD or kit lens
In reply to Spillicus, May 12, 2012

I Love 'em!

Why are zoo shots "so cliche"? People frown upon them all the time and it's such a shame. It's not easy to get really good zoo shots (I should know... I've been to over 40 zoos).

I particularly like your wolf shot... looks like it was shot in the wild. Very cool.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
decimusmaximus7
Regular MemberPosts: 283Gear list
Like?
In reply to _Fotogrfr_, May 12, 2012

I love the zoo. I went to my local zoo last week but was really unable to get any good shots. Most of the areas were behind wire, almost like a chicken wire. Thanks for sharing.

decimusmaximus7's gear list:decimusmaximus7's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A65 Sony Alpha 7 +38 more
Duck44
Senior MemberPosts: 2,027
Like?
In reply to Spillicus, May 12, 2012

Hi Spillicus,

Nice shots. I too love zoos. I was in New Orleans recently and it is a lovely zoo.

Was this by chance the Cincy Zoo? I was there a few weeks ago and that Lion was sleeping then too

Rich

Spillicus
Like?
In reply to _Fotogrfr_, May 13, 2012

Thanks! I like zoo shots (not just mine, when others post them too). This particular zoo (Cincinnati) seems to do a good job of giving decent sight lines for shots and not using so much chicken wire.
40 zoos is impressive! Any favorites?

Fotogrfr wrote:

I Love 'em!

Why are zoo shots "so cliche"? People frown upon them all the time and it's such a shame. It's not easy to get really good zoo shots (I should know... I've been to over 40 zoos).

I particularly like your wolf shot... looks like it was shot in the wild. Very cool.

Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD
Spillicus
Like?
In reply to Duck44, May 13, 2012

Nice shot too. Yes, it was the Cincinnati Zoo. And I swear that lion is always sleeping. I have small children so we go there at least a couple times a year.

It seems like the lions are always sleeping at most every zoo, but we were at the National Zoo in DC a couple of months ago and they had some younger lions that were being very playful, which was a lot of fun to watch. It was my first trip with my A65 and I only had the kit lens, which is not long enough for good zoo pics I learned, and I was shooting towards the sun with no hood, and got a monstrous amount of flare. So the pictures weren't very good. But here's one I was able to sort of salvage with a healthy crop (love those 24MP) and some serious LR4 processing.

Duck44 wrote:

Hi Spillicus,

Nice shots. I too love zoos. I was in New Orleans recently and it is a lovely zoo.

Was this by chance the Cincy Zoo? I was there a few weeks ago and that Lion was sleeping then too

Rich

Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179
Like?
In reply to Spillicus, May 13, 2012

When I looked at your first photo, I thought about how much money I have wasted on hair cuts.
--
Gary in PA

Duck44
Like?

That is a fun shot spillicus.

When I was in the Air Force, the Alexandria, LA zoo was very small. But we were there and saw two African Lions mating. His roar was so loud, you could see your shirt vibrate. Afterwards, she slapped upside the head with her paw.

Rich

_Fotogrfr_
Like?

My favorite zoos so far are the two that have the best habitat for my favorite animal... the gorilla. And those two zoos are the Pittsburgh Zoo in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Zoo Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia.

My zoo galleries are down at the moment (I'm updating them), however, earlier this year, I went on two separate field trips to the zoo in Tampa, Florida with members from a local photo club. Those pics can be seen here...

http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr/fieldtrip

And most recently, I went to the zoo in Houston, Texas. I just returned and am still going through those shots. I'll post a few in a day or two.

Spillicus wrote:

Thanks! I like zoo shots (not just mine, when others post them too). This particular zoo (Cincinnati) seems to do a good job of giving decent sight lines for shots and not using so much chicken wire.

Fotogrfr wrote:

I Love 'em!

_Fotogrfr_
Like?

Not always! I've been to that zoo twice and the second time, they were awake (barely).

Spillicus wrote:

Nice shot too. Yes, it was the Cincinnati Zoo. And I swear that lion is always sleeping. I have small children so we go there at least a couple times a year.

-- hide signature --

snip---

Duck44 wrote:

Hi Spillicus,

Rich

G6u7a1m
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?

since there is a weekly wildlife thread which animals cannot be contained why not have a weekly zoo thread since those are places more easily accessible to the majority of the population.

G6u7a1m's gear list:G6u7a1m's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Spillicus
Like?
In reply to G6u7a1m, May 14, 2012

Nice pictures, I espeically like the bull with the enormous horns.

I don't know if there would be enough traffic for a weekly zoo picture thread. But I'm all for people starting a "post your zoo pictures" thread, and I like that this one turned into that a little.

G6u7a1m
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?
In reply to Spillicus, May 14, 2012

thanks those were some recent ones from disney.

G6u7a1m's gear list:G6u7a1m's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Duck44
Like?
In reply to _Fotogrfr_, May 14, 2012

Nice shot Gayle. Love their eyes.

Duck44
Like?

Very nice Gayle. You do that 70-400G proud.

Spillicus
Like?

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen those lions' eyes!

I do really like large primates. I like the ones in your gallery, espcially the baby orangutan. I think the Cinci zoo is pretty good for gorillas and orangutans, and they have some baby bonobos right now which are fun to watch. Cinci gorilla

One more of the orangutan, I like the expressiveness of their faces. It's like they're almost human....

Seems like I remember the San Diego Wild Animal Park as having a good gorilla habitat too, been a few years since I went there though.

Fotogrfr wrote:

My favorite zoos so far are the two that have the best habitat for my favorite animal... the gorilla. And those two zoos are the Pittsburgh Zoo in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Zoo Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia.

My zoo galleries are down at the moment (I'm updating them), however, earlier this year, I went on two separate field trips to the zoo in Tampa, Florida with members from a local photo club. Those pics can be seen here...

http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr/fieldtrip

And most recently, I went to the zoo in Houston, Texas. I just returned and am still going through those shots. I'll post a few in a day or two.

Spillicus wrote:

Fotogrfr wrote:

I Love 'em!

Spillicus
Like?

Oh, and if you like orangutans, the National Zoo has an overhead cable thing where they can walk over the top of the crowds to move between two enclosures. It's fun to watch.

busch
Forum ProPosts: 28,532Gear list
Like?
In reply to Spillicus, May 14, 2012

Sure like the first two!

I think most people would rather see animals in the wild where they belong but we have to be a bit realistic in this day and age and accept that they can have a place if done properly. It seems more and more zoos are becoming more professional in their care and I'm always happy to see that.

-- hide signature --

Busch

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.pbase.com/busch

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads