Does anybody else have this problem?

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
SparkleHedgehog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,289
Like?
Does anybody else have this problem?
May 12, 2012

I'm so addicted to taking pictures with my nex7 that by the time it comes round to editing I just cant bear the job as I've taken so many pics and don't know where to start! Editing takes so long yet a click is so easy. Really frustrating at times and really starts to build up which makes it worse.

Any good tips to solve this?

P.s I can't afford to employ an oompa loompa to be my editing munchkin

relate2
Contributing MemberPosts: 930
Like?
Re: Does anybody else have this problem?
In reply to SparkleHedgehog, May 12, 2012

You may laugh at this but I have had some good results with my 7 using Picassa. It doesn't get any easier and I especially like the sharpening tool in Picassa.
--
http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,696Gear list
Like?

Agree, that and the disk space requirements.

Would love to have an oompa loompa for this.

I organize files in folders, by date and/or event, and then operate on a folder using PP tools such as DxO or LR, browsing all files in the folder, but only processing those that speak to me.

Even, if many files, RAW settings are usually the same between pic, and I can use batch mode.

SparkleHedgehog wrote:

I'm so addicted to taking pictures with my nex7 that by the time it comes round to editing I just cant bear the job as I've taken so many pics and don't know where to start! Editing takes so long yet a click is so easy. Really frustrating at times and really starts to build up which makes it worse.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,725Gear list
Like?

SparkleHedgehog wrote:

I am totally ruthless when it comes to shots. I shoot RAW and edit in LR, but I use Faststone viewer (Free excellent powerful software BTW) first to open the folder, magnify each shot and delete really quick if its not sharp. I might come back from a bird shoot with around 200 - 300 images. Takes me around ........ 1 quick cup of coffee to sort out what is going into LR and what is going into the bin.

I guess generally at a rough guess out of 300 shots, only 20 might go into LR and theres no rush, the rest in the bin.

All the best.

Danny.
http://www.birdsinaction.com

http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Chris_Downunder
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?

I got an oompa loompa off ebay for a bargain. Well worth the money. Now I sit back and let it edit the images.
Chris

Chris_Downunder's gear list:Chris_Downunder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
Jerry Canon
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?
-- hide signature --

Shoot more selectively. I still try to do this. I guess it's my throw back to my film photography days when each click cost you money. You can tell I'm a Geezer!
Jerry

Jerry Canon's gear list:Jerry Canon's gear list
Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

SparkleHedgehog wrote:

Most of the time I shoot JPEG, I open in Widows Photo Viewer, because it is fast, and start deleting. If its is not sharp or ?, the image is gone, no messing around. I can cut 100 photos down to ? very quickly. The rest are then worked on and saved as PNG files.

wll

ExNewt
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
In reply to Jerry Canon, May 12, 2012

Agree with you, I usually only edit if there's something like a power line in the sky, or to crop or occasionally fix colors. I know there's a TON one can do with say Photoshop, but sometimes 1 or 3 good shots = 27 ones that need post processing..

Note every photo here was just reduced in size and posted - no editing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/opusmark/sets/72157629213919650/

are all perfect? No.
Did I enjoy the time spent walking around? Immensely

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,062Gear list
Like?
Less is more...

You're "spraying and praying", concentrate more on composition, timing and light. Take less shots and be more ruthless with what you delete. Ask yourself would you be happy to post this shot on a forum and why? If you don't think a shot is good enough to post then why keep it hidden forever on a hard drive?(unless it's for sentimental/reference purposes) If you can't do that then shoot jpegs and aim to get the shot right in camera, tweak your jpeg settings so you don't need to PP your shots.

The more ruthless and analytical you get the better your shots will become. Imagine you are shooting film and paying for every shot to be developed. Because you can shoot at 10fps it doesn't mean you have to.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,725
Like?
Re: Less is more...
In reply to papillon_65, May 12, 2012

papillon_65 wrote:

You're "spraying and praying", concentrate more on composition, timing and light. Take less shots and be more ruthless with what you delete. Ask yourself would you be happy to post this shot on a forum and why? If you don't think a shot is good enough to post then why keep it hidden forever on a hard drive?(unless it's for sentimental/reference purposes) If you can't do that then shoot jpegs and aim to get the shot right in camera, tweak your jpeg settings so you don't need to PP your shots.

The more ruthless and analytical you get the better your shots will become. Imagine you are shooting film and paying for every shot to be developed. Because you can shoot at 10fps it doesn't mean you have to.

I was going to write something similar to what Tony wrote above.

Slow down and think about composition and subject matter when photographing. When you're ready to edit, go through your images on your PC using a program like ACDSee Pro or Picasa and delete the "not so great images".

In your 2nd round of viewing your photos, edit the remaining batch to your liking.
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?
In reply to nzmacro, May 12, 2012

nzmacro wrote:

SparkleHedgehog wrote:

I am totally ruthless when it comes to shots. I shoot RAW and edit in LR, but I use Faststone viewer (Free excellent powerful software BTW) first to open the folder, magnify each shot and delete really quick if its not sharp. I might come back from a bird shoot with around 200 - 300 images. Takes me around ........ 1 quick cup of coffee to sort out what is going into LR and what is going into the bin.

I guess generally at a rough guess out of 300 shots, only 20 might go into LR and theres no rush, the rest in the bin.

All the best.

Danny.

Thanks Danny.

I just installed Faststone. You are right, it's really simple and fast. Thanks for the tip, it will make my sorting a whole lot faster.
regards
Ed

Sphinx_man
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
In reply to relate2, May 12, 2012

+1 for Picasa. Simple and very easy.
Start off by deleting a lot of OOF pics.
Ones I like - try to see if cropping helps

and then liberally use the I'm Feeling Lucky selection to make the images bright and pop out a bit.
Cheers
SG

creeker
Like?
In reply to Jerry Canon, May 12, 2012

Jerry Canon wrote:

-- hide signature --

Shoot more selectively. I still try to do this. I guess it's my throw back to my film photography days when each click cost you money. You can tell I'm a Geezer!
Jerry

Yeah, and from another old geezer, looking back and remembering when going out for some shots meant 24 or 36 images on a roll of film, and then, either the long wait to get them from a developer, or hours in the darkroom. I chuckle how we complain now about the annoyance of sorting 200-300 images at the comfort of our computer. If a person didn't have a darkroom, you had to live with slight mistakes in the way the image was taken. We are truly spoiled, but I love it!!
Ed

creeker
Like?
In reply to wll, May 12, 2012

wll wrote:

SparkleHedgehog wrote:

Most of the time I shoot JPEG, I open in Widows Photo Viewer, because it is fast, and start deleting. If its is not sharp or ?, the image is gone, no messing around. I can cut 100 photos down to ? very quickly. The rest are then worked on and saved as PNG files.

wll

Hello Will

I also was using Windows Photo Viewer, but I just downloaded Faststone viewer. It is much,much faster than Windows viewer. Just a touch of the space bar brings up the next photo and they are full screen. A click anywhere on the image zooms way in to make it quick to check the IQ. Plus unlike windows viewer, there's all kinds of adjustment tools like cropping and cloning, etc. It has a comparison feature that lets you put images side by side to choose the better one. Faststone is a simple efficient fast way of sorting files Amazing too, is it's freeware, but after seeing what it is I'll send in a donation. A bargain either way, glad I read the post by Danny " nzmacro" today.
regards
Ed

normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
Danny - thanks for Faststone link

Danny - superb bit of sofware, thanks.
--
my blog http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
never more than 3 posts per page so you will not be overloaded with images.

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,971Gear list
Like?

Grr...it would be windows-only. I'm needing a program just like this to sort through the 600-1000 images I shoot at each game, the magnifying in LR4 is just too slow to be of any efficiency.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

nzmacro wrote:

SparkleHedgehog wrote:

All the best.

Danny.

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
thanks, Faststone fast image viewer freeware link

The program even has non-trivial overall image brightness etc adjustment, cropping and rotating capabilities. Tip of the hat. It's supported DNG files (all my Sony .ARW files get converted into that format immediately by Lightroom) since 2005.

creeker
Like?
In reply to DezM, May 12, 2012

I once read a quote in an interview in a magazine, where the photographer being interviewed said, "Take every image as if it is going to be entered in a competition, and you want it to be your very best. Be out to win, with every photo".

Ed

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,971Gear list
Like?
In reply to creeker, May 12, 2012

But doesn't the old advice of "playing to win is unenjoyable" apply in response to that?

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

creeker wrote:

I once read a quote in an interview in a magazine, where the photographer being interviewed said, "Take every image as if it is going to be entered in a competition, and you want it to be your very best. Be out to win, with every photo".

Ed

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
patcalvin
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

..I have always the same problem, I really like shooting, but when it comes to PP, it really needs a lot of time.
But one idea helped me a lot:
instead of deleting the bad pictures, I mark the photos I keep.
It works way better for me!
For this I import all the photos to Lightroom with "Rendering Preview 1:1"

It takes a lot of time, but after it's done, Ligtroom is way faster during selecting the "keepers".
This idea may sound silly, but try it

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads