Female Black Chinned Hummingbird. (4 imgs)

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,471
Like?
Female Black Chinned Hummingbird. (4 imgs)
May 12, 2012

So, I was in my Sittin' Place on the porch just taking it easy while I let the camera take some hummingbird images for me using catch-in-focusing (focus trap).

Pentax K-5 + Pentaz-FA*250-600mm f5.6 at 320mm. EXIF is intact and embedded in the images if anyone is interested.

Female Black Chinned Hummingbird

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Greyser
Senior MemberPosts: 3,678Gear list
Like?
Re: Female Black Chinned Hummingbird. (4 imgs)
In reply to brandrx, May 12, 2012

It's not easy to get those. Congratulations!

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Eric O
Regular MemberPosts: 378
Like?

Sharp!! Thanks for sharing!

Nhelnhel
Contributing MemberPosts: 881Gear list
Like?

Ron,

You really captured the Hmmingbird really nice... It really shows that the bird is flying.

Perhaps you can make also a moving GIF like the other one? But please not too fast hahahaha...

Sadly we dont have a humming bird flying here where i live.

Thank you for posting.

Nhelnhel's gear list:Nhelnhel's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,133Gear list
Like?

Beautiful Ron
--
Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
yesman12
Contributing MemberPosts: 807Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nhelnhel, May 12, 2012

Really nice, it must have been close since you shot at 320.

Nick
--
A picture is worth a thousand words but talk is cheap.
Best regards
Nick

yesman12's gear list:yesman12's gear list
Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
gebco
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?

Nicely done!

leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,299Gear list
Like?

Some really nice shots you got there Ron!

That combo works very well, if only i could afford that lens
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php
http://steevemarcoux2.wordpress.com/

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Fl_Gulfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,176Gear list
Like?
In reply to leopold, May 12, 2012

Hell-of-catch Ron wish I could do that.
--
-
Gear Listed in "About Me"

Fl_Gulfer's gear list:Fl_Gulfer's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
brandrx
Like?
You can do that. It's very easy to do.
In reply to Fl_Gulfer, May 12, 2012

Fl_Gulfer wrote:

Hell-of-catch Ron wish I could do that.

You have a K-5 don't you?

It is very easy to do. In the Custom Menu set Item #25 (Catch-in-Focus) to equal 2. Use a Pentax lens that has an AF/MF switch on the lens (set it to MF) or use a manual focus lens. I like to use the DA*300/4 the most. Set up so that the feeder is just out of the frame. Set up to do catch-in-focus. Turn the Auto Power Off to Off. Set contiuous shooting to High. Set the camera to AF-S. Pre-focus the lens to the area where the HB's will be coming to land on the feeder. Use a wired remote. Press and lock the wired remote. Sit and wait until you get images. Else, go take a nap while the camera takes pictures for you.

You can use the IR remote (set to IR Remote Continuous Shooting) but you need to take a first image of something in focus (a hand in the prefocused area). Then move the hand from the pre-focused area and the camera will then continue to take images as the HB's enter the pre-focused area.

FWIW: This can also be done with the Sigma 50-500mm APO HSM OS but not with the older model screwdrive Sigma 50-500mm.

Another FWIW: An f4 or F5.6 lens will result in more images and more keepers than an f2.8 lens will.

Have fun.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

brandrx
Like?
Greyser, actually it is very easy.
In reply to Greyser, May 12, 2012

Greyser wrote:

It's not easy to get those. Congratulations!

Hi Greyser,

Actualy it is very easy to get images like these. See my reply to Fl_Gulfer.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?

Sweet, catch in focus is about the best thing since apple pie by the looks of these.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Skip py
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
In reply to brandrx, May 13, 2012

You know what ? ... I'm jealous

What a beautiful bird ! And pictures !
If only I had a house and such beautiful birds in my backyard
And a rocking chair !

Anyway, I'll have to practice with the Catch-in-Focus ! Amazing results ...
I should read the damn' manual one more time
Regards, fred

PS:
Did you opted like Marc Langille for the GT3541XLS to support your 250-600 ?

PS2:

The video with the feading of hummingbirds - in the link you posted earlier - is really nice too for a commercial I can't see the second link (PBS), probably for licence reasons in my area ... too bad
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=41491202

Skip py's gear list:Skip py's gear list
Pentax K-3
brandrx
Like?
Fred...
In reply to Skip py, May 13, 2012

Skip py wrote:

And a rocking chair !

Regards, fred

The best lens I have found to shoot the hummers, using catch-in-focus, is the DA*300/4 lens.

PS:

Yes, Marc talked me into getting that tripod along with the Wimberly Gimbal. I also bought the GT5541LS which will hold more weight (55 lbs versus 35 lbs) but will not expand as high as the GT3541XLS. According to B&H, both of those tripods have been discontinued.

PS2:

The video with the feading of hummingbirds - in the link you posted earlier - is really nice too for a commercial I can't see the second link (PBS), probably for licence reasons in my area ... too bad

Sorry you couldn't view that second video. It is very, very interesting.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,168Gear list
Like?

Well played Ron. Those are fabulous.
--
Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
Skip py
Like?
Re: Fred...

Hi Ron

brandrx wrote:

Skip py wrote:

And a rocking chair !

Regards, fred

The best lens I have found to shoot the hummers, using catch-in-focus, is the DA*300/4 lens.

Better in what way ? It's about the SDM speed ? I don't get it :
the lens doesn't have to move ... o_O

Is it related to the time needed from focus wide open to closure to the desired f/stop ?

I noticed you also warned that it was working with the "Sigma 50-500mm APO HSM OS but not with the older model screwdrive Sigma 50-500mm" ... Why ? Too bad for me : I have the older one

I do not understand also what you wrote to Fl_Gulfer :

"An f4 or F5.6 lens will result in more images and more keepers than an f2.8 lens will." Even, if you close to f/4 or f/5.6 ? I don't get it either
Maybe because the focus is done while the lens is wide open ?

PS:

Yes, Marc talked me into getting that tripod along with the Wimberly Gimbal. I also bought the GT5541LS which will hold more weight (55 lbs versus 35 lbs) but will not expand as high as the GT3541XLS. According to B&H, both of those tripods have been discontinued.

Bad news for me I should have bought it when it was still available ... I'll have to search again ... but, I've learned the lesson, when I'll be prepare to buy it

PS2:

Cheers.

Ron

Regards, fred

Pentax K-3
SanMat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,777
Like?

Nicely done Ron. I believe we get some black-chinned hummingbirds here (at least according to the guidebooks), but I've yet to see them. Then again, according to the petersons guide, the females look almost identical to the Annas females, so maybe I have seen them without knowing it. I don't know if I've tried these type of shots at 1/320, or at least not with much success. I'm usually shooting at at least 1/800 sec. Less than that and I think there is usually too much movement to get really sharp feather detail in the body area.

Lately I've added some flash (not the popup flash but external, attached to the hotshoe). In the past, I avoided adding any flash at all costs, but I've changed my tune a bit. With the addition of a diffuser (gary fong), I think I've gotten better results in terms of overall detail. I'm guessing it would also work well with a better-beamer attached to an external flash, but I haven't tried that yet. With your lens needing a bit more distance to the subject, I wonder if the better-beamer would be more effective than the diffuser. Either way, it's fun to research.

Here's a recent one using the diffuser on the flash (flash on body). 300mm lens. I think that combo cuts down on the shadows pretty well without blowing out the highlights.

Pete

brandrx
Like?
In reply to Skip py, May 13, 2012

Skip py wrote:
Hi Ron

brandrx wrote:

Skip py wrote:

And a rocking chair !

Regards, fred

Better in what way ? It's about the SDM speed ? I don't get it :
the lens doesn't have to move ... o_O

Is it related to the time needed from focus wide open to closure to the desired f/stop ?

It is easier to work with. It is a 1:3 macro, therefore you are able to get close enough to fill the frame with an image of an HB. It produces extremely high IQ. It is an f4 lens, which in my opinion captures more images when doing CIF than an f2.8 lens does. Sometimes and f5.6 lens will not fire the shutter.

I noticed you also warned that it was working with the "Sigma 50-500mm APO HSM OS but not with the older model screwdrive Sigma 50-500mm" ... Why ? Too bad for me : I have the older one

The new Sigma 50-500mm APO HSM OS only requires that you put the lens in MF in order to manual focus the lens. The older screwdrive Sigma 50-500mm requires that you put both the lens and the camera in MF in order to manual focus the lens. Now, since AF-S is required to do catch-in-focus you can surely see the problem here?

I do not understand also what you wrote to Fl_Gulfer :

"An f4 or F5.6 lens will result in more images and more keepers than an f2.8 lens will." Even, if you close to f/4 or f/5.6 ? I don't get it either
Maybe because the focus is done while the lens is wide open ?

Exactly right. The lens focuses at wide open. Therefore an f4 lens will capture more images than an f2.8 lens will because of the DOF. An f5.6 lens works best for capturing in good light but sometimes will not fire the shutter if the light is not just right. Therefore the best all-around lens IMO is an f4 lens and the best f4 lens IMO is the DA*300/4 lens.

PS:

Bad news for me I should have bought it when it was still available ... I'll have to search again ... but, I've learned the lesson, when I'll be prepare to buy it

PS2:

Cheers.

Ron

Regards, fred

-- hide signature --

brandrx
Like?
Pete...
In reply to SanMat, May 13, 2012

SanMat wrote:

Nicely done Ron. I believe we get some black-chinned hummingbirds here (at least according to the guidebooks), but I've yet to see them. Then again, according to the petersons guide, the females look almost identical to the Annas females, so maybe I have seen them without knowing it.

Hi Pete,

Black-chinned Hummingbird, Adult female

Anna's Hummingbird, Adult female

I don't know if I've tried these type of shots at 1/320, or at least not with much success.

I don't know why you would try them at 1/320s. Did you read my EXIF wrong? The focal length was 320mm. My first three images were shot at 1/2000s and the last one was shot at 1/1250s.

I'm usually shooting at at least 1/800 sec. Less than that and I think there is usually too much movement to get really sharp feather detail in the body area.

Lately I've added some flash (not the popup flash but external, attached to the hotshoe). In the past, I avoided adding any flash at all costs, but I've changed my tune a bit. With the addition of a diffuser (gary fong), I think I've gotten better results in terms of overall detail. I'm guessing it would also work well with a better-beamer attached to an external flash, but I haven't tried that yet. With your lens needing a bit more distance to the subject, I wonder if the better-beamer would be more effective than the diffuser. Either way, it's fun to research.

Here's a recent one using the diffuser on the flash (flash on body). 300mm lens. I think that combo cuts down on the shadows pretty well without blowing out the highlights.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7203/6885971912_bf2095db2f_b.jpg

I've never done well with using a flash in any situation. I really don't like using a falsh. However, that could be that I have never taken the time to learn how.

You've captured a good shot of your Anna's hummer.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Skip py
Like?

WOW ... Thanks for the explanations !

Lesson learned for the 50-500 : I admit I didn't try

If I get it right, with decent light, an old A* 200mm macro f/4 would get more sharp shots than a brand new DA* 200mm f/2.8 ?
If so, you made my day ... if only there was beautiful humingbirds around here !

But if I go on, theoretically, I could use the macro lens on tripod to get butterflies in flight ?
Would it be the same despite the distance and size difference ?
Mmm ... I hope I'll have some time soon to find a spot and practice !
I can't leave my K-5 alone, but I think I'll have to relax
... if I want to take some shot like yours !
Thanks a lot Ron, fred

Pentax K-3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads