R lenses

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
bunkerboy
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
R lenses
May 11, 2012

Is there anyone else out there with a drawer full of R lenses, a real desire to go digital, and nothing but vague promises from mother Leica that "there will be an R solution"?? I am a very happy M9 user but invested heavily in R glass with my R4, R6 and R7 -- Leica, where are you?? Can it be that we R users are too small in number to make it financially viable or are we just too silent about our pain??

Knorp
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,003Gear list
Like?
Re: R lenses
In reply to bunkerboy, May 11, 2012

Like you I'm genuinely disappointed that there still is no R-solution.
Hoping for the good news at Photokina later this year in September.

Keep fingers crossed after all they made us a promise ...

bunkerboy wrote:

Is there anyone else out there with a drawer full of R lenses, a real desire to go digital, and nothing but vague promises from mother Leica that "there will be an R solution"?? I am a very happy M9 user but invested heavily in R glass with my R4, R6 and R7 -- Leica, where are you?? Can it be that we R users are too small in number to make it financially viable or are we just too silent about our pain??

kind regards

........................................................................................................
Bart

Knorp's gear list:Knorp's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M9-P Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,058
Like?
In reply to Knorp, May 11, 2012

What promise?

nicolabotta
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to bunkerboy, May 11, 2012

I do not quite understand your point. Is it a problem using your R lenses with your M9 via R-> M adapter (R lenses too big for the VF) and are you hoping for a non-RF Leica with R mount ? I have a 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit R, a 75-200mm f/4.5 Vario-Elmar R and a 60mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit R. They work fine on a Ricoh GXR M mount via R -> M adapter (although the 75-200 is indeed a bit too heavy). Maybe you can give it a try, the GXR M mount is not expensive and has no AA filter. Best, N.

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,058
Like?
In reply to nicolabotta, May 11, 2012

Try a Canon SLR with an adapter for the R lenses.

Knorp
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,003Gear list
Like?
In reply to nicolabotta, May 11, 2012

Of course, I too work with adapters for my G3 or different mounts (Leitax) for my K5 to use my R-lenses. But that's not the point !

nicolabotta wrote:

I do not quite understand your point. Is it a problem using your R lenses with your M9 via R-> M adapter (R lenses too big for the VF) and are you hoping for a non-RF Leica with R mount ? I have a 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit R, a 75-200mm f/4.5 Vario-Elmar R and a 60mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit R. They work fine on a Ricoh GXR M mount via R -> M adapter (although the 75-200 is indeed a bit too heavy). Maybe you can give it a try, the GXR M mount is not expensive and has no AA filter. Best, N.

kind regards

........................................................................................................
Bart

Knorp's gear list:Knorp's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M9-P Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R
bunkerboy
Like?
In reply to Knorp, May 11, 2012

The promise was one made by Leica in a press conference at least a year ago. I know that I "can" use adapters to utilize the lenses, but that really isn't the point. What I want is to use a Leica camera with Leica lenses. I do not want to be restricted to stop down metering either. I would love a true reflex camera with a FF sensor, but an EVIL with a FF sensor would be most welcomed as well. I was hoping that if enough of us made our voices known, Leica may respond.

glacierpete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,917
Like?
In reply to bunkerboy, May 12, 2012

I use a Summicron R 50 and Macro Elmarit 60 on a Sony Nex 5n. Works great. There are also adapters for Leica M lenses to Sony Nex bodies. Even adapters with an built in helicoid for closer focusing with Leica M lenses.

Leitax produces Leica adpaters/mounts for many cameras
http://www.leitax.com/

Fotodiox has a simialar product. The fotodiox pro Nikon Leica Adapter works great too.

The new 36,3 Megapixel Nikon D800 would be an interesting platform for your Leica R lenses. If Leica would ever build a camera like that, it would be quite likely in the Leica S2 price range.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/

bunkerboy
Like?
Re: Nikon D800 use with R lenses
In reply to glacierpete, May 12, 2012

If using a Nikon, is there any adapter that lets you use the lenses fully open to focus with auto diaphragm stop down when the shutter is activated? Also, would Av mode work or only manual stop down metering? Thanks for the input.

Dr. Ulrich  Rohde
Contributing MemberPosts: 818Gear list
Like?
Re: R lenses and on M10

Every one calm down,

there will be a good M10 adaptor for the R lenses, that is the cause why the M10 is more sturdy.

All it takes is time to wait another 6 month or so

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +10 more
Joe Pineapples
Senior MemberPosts: 2,002Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dr. Ulrich Rohde, May 12, 2012

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

Every one calm down,

there will be a good M10 adaptor for the R lenses, that is the cause why the M10 is more sturdy.

Are you saying the M10 will have live view and a decent EVF? Or some sort of mechanism to couple the R-lens to the rangefinder? Or guess focus only? If it was live view and a decent EVF I'd consider buying one, but I can't see the traditionalists being very happy about it...

Joe

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
Dr. Ulrich  Rohde
Like?
In reply to Joe Pineapples, May 12, 2012

It will be perfect for your use , just not over night available

Leica X Vario Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +10 more
flhotelin
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
Re: Nikon D800 use with R lenses

Can't work since the lens aperture ring turns the other way from Nikon so no Av only stop down metering.

I use a Leitax adapter on my 35mm Elmarit-R with great success, here on a Nikon D3:

bunkerboy wrote:

If using a Nikon, is there any adapter that lets you use the lenses fully open to focus with auto diaphragm stop down when the shutter is activated? Also, would Av mode work or only manual stop down metering? Thanks for the input.

bunkerboy
Like?
flhotelin images
In reply to flhotelin, May 13, 2012

Those are quite impressive results, indeed and thank you for posting them. Is there one model of Nikon you would recommend over another - and is Leitax better than Novoflex etc for adapters? Are we really confident that Leica will try to address the R lens issue together with the next M iteration, in which case I would hold on another 6 months and wait for Photokina. Thanks all for the discussion - I knew there would be others out there in Leicaland waiting to use our R glass..........

glacierpete
Like?
Re: flhotelin images
In reply to bunkerboy, May 13, 2012

Leica to Nikon needs the lens mount beeing replaced. Kind of surgery. Althoug it was not a big deal for my Summicron 50. The Leitax side shows the procedure for a lot of lenses in detail, with images. But often the shroud has to be removed. Same with Fotodiox replacement mounts. Kind of a one way procedure.

The longer registration distance of Canon requires only an adapter. You keep the Leica mount, in case this is important for you. You can buy a Canon EOS 5D Mark III now and sell it later, in case Leica offers an solution. As others mentioned, a M10 with live view and R adapter is probable. That's what is possible today with a Sony Nex 7 (APS sized sensor).

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter---Leica-Digital-Three-cam/dp/B002JX1C7G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1336898896&sr=8-5

There is an lengty interview with Leica's product Manager. When I recall right, he mentions during the interview the reason for giving up the R line was a capacity problem by introducing the new S2 line.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/daniel-video-intro.shtml

bunkerboy wrote:

Those are quite impressive results, indeed and thank you for posting them. Is there one model of Nikon you would recommend over another - and is Leitax better than Novoflex etc for adapters? Are we really confident that Leica will try to address the R lens issue together with the next M iteration, in which case I would hold on another 6 months and wait for Photokina. Thanks all for the discussion - I knew there would be others out there in Leicaland waiting to use our R glass..........

Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,029Gear list
Like?
In reply to bunkerboy, May 13, 2012

All I can tell you, but tell with confidence: do not sell your R lenses!
--
Irakly Shanidze
http://www.shanidze.com/en

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
glacierpete
Like?
Re: flhotelin images
In reply to glacierpete, May 13, 2012

There is BTW a image thread about Leica R lenses on various digital platforms.
Lot's of stunning images.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/895186

Dr. Ulrich  Rohde
Like?
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, May 13, 2012

Don't we know this ?

8thWeatherSqGrnld
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to bunkerboy, Jun 14, 2013

I have a Leica R3 Electronic with 2 "R"s.  Will they work with the current Leica SLR Digital Cameras?

Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,169
Like?
In reply to Dr. Ulrich Rohde, Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

Every one calm down,

Dr Rohde,

Just to clarify, when you say M10, do you mean the new M (type 240)?

Thanks, D

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads