If you were a moron like me...

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
sweetsonic
Regular MemberPosts: 349
Like?
If you were a moron like me...
May 11, 2012

And you sold your D700 before you had the D800 in hand, what would you do?

I sold the D700 a few days after the D800 announcement, betting on the value of the D700 going down (which turned out to be true, of course) and the subsequent delivery of the D800 at or near its release date (which turned out to be false, obviously).

What would you do to get a camera in your hands for the interim? I'm not making a living off this, obviously, but I am a hobbyist/enthusiast and am really kicking myself now. I ordered a D7000 from Amazon thinking I could use it for a bit and resell it, but the D7000 is reselling pretty cheap and I'm not a big fan of the camera personally.

Any ideas?

sirshannon
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: If you were a moron like me...
In reply to sweetsonic, May 11, 2012

I would buy my D700.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tdptdp
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?
Oscarroos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?
In reply to tdptdp, May 11, 2012

If it were me- I would take a break from photograpghy. A little hiatus wouldn't hurt and keep you from buyin something that will cost you money for what end?

Your situation may be different but I do little photograpghy at home - mostly on travel so your mileage may vary.
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22388579@N08/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67660656@N03/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67660656@N03/sets/72157627576100801/

Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more
Christian Wagner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546
Like?

You could do what I have done, use my wife's Rebel or borrow a D3s from your neighbor to get used to Nikon. I sold all my Canon gear to get ready for this, still waiting for a shipment date but hoping soon!

sweetsonic wrote:

I sold the D700 a few days after the D800 announcement, betting on the value of the D700 going down (which turned out to be true, of course) and the subsequent delivery of the D800 at or near its release date (which turned out to be false, obviously).

What would you do to get a camera in your hands for the interim? I'm not making a living off this, obviously, but I am a hobbyist/enthusiast and am really kicking myself now. I ordered a D7000 from Amazon thinking I could use it for a bit and resell it, but the D7000 is reselling pretty cheap and I'm not a big fan of the camera personally.

Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Chris

Rickard Hansson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,081Gear list
Like?
buy an j1/v1 and then keep it to be used in parallell with the D800

The j1/v1 is great as an small compact cam to have with you when the D800 does not fit.

-- hide signature --

Rickard Hansson
Sweden

djmm
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?

Buy a new D700 and then when D800 arrives, sell it for a fraction of a price.

sweetsonic wrote:

Any ideas?

Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 912Gear list
Like?

If I were you I'd just wait or play with a compact camera in the meantime...

http://500px.com/joserocha81

Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
cajuncc
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?

sweetsonic wrote:

Any ideas?

Pick up an F100 and shoot old-school for a bit. Then keep it when your D800 comes in.

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,889
Like?
In reply to djmm, May 11, 2012

I did something similiar. I ordered a Nikon 500mm f4.0 vrII lens from b & h and quickly sent in my Nikon 300mm f2.8 so that I had the finances to purchase the 500. I got the 500 three days after I sent the 300 in. I took the 500 out of the box and quickly focused on a simple subject easy to af on to find out the image were not sharp. I then ran tests off charts using a tripod, timed release and fast shutter speed at f8.0 to find that the lens was front focusing a lot. I took the lens out in the field photography several static standing birds to still find out that the images were not sharp. I then adjusted the af fine tune and got most of the front focus out, but still with slightly front focusing at a setting of +20 ugh!!!

I quickly called b & h and they sent me a ground ups label and I have mailed the lens in, of course it takes a week to get to them, then several days before they mail me the exchange lens. So I am without a long lens for approximately 3 weeks and my main photography is bird photography. You might say I am slightly irritated since the weather here is beautiful after months of rain and I don't have a lens ugh!!!

I guess you should have taken a slight loss in the value of your d700 and used it until the d800 arrives, if ever ugh!!! I would not buy another camera with the order for the d800. You could cancel the order, buy a used d700 and use until the d800 is in your hands and wait to see if the d800 works ok for you before you sell the d700.

Sorry
Sad Larry

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

I am a moron, but I didn't dare give up my D700 before I got my new camera. Why not do as someone recommended above. Take a little break and catch up on some of the stuff you wiill neglect once you have your new camera.

Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oscarroos, May 11, 2012

Oscarroos wrote:

If it were me- I would take a break from photograpghy. A little hiatus wouldn't hurt and keep you from buyin something that will cost you money for what end?

Couldn't agree more. I think you should take up ebaying/craigslisting buy-sell as a hobby.

Good luck either way!

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,482Gear list
Like?
I would:
  • cancel the order for the D800;

• buy a D700;

• buy the D800 when it becomes available in stores (if ever) when all the problems are overcome.

Enjoy your photos, the D700 is a great camera; do you really need the 800 (and the inconveniences that may come with focus, battery, huge files, etc.?).

regards

-- hide signature --

"The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young."
O.Wilde

Michael Firstlight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,898Gear list
Like?

I'd just take out my Nikon F2as and enjoy shooting a few roles just for the fun of it. Humm, I might anyway!

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,474Gear list
Like?

Would you be interested in buying one of my D2H or D2Hs cameras?

Your choices are:

• Wait for your D800

• Buy an interim camera

• Take up a new hobby

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
Buy a D3200
In reply to user_name, May 11, 2012

as second body or b-video camera.
IQ around 100-800 iso is mind blowing !

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Buy a D3200
In reply to Deleted-pending, May 11, 2012

Or a D5100. Everybody needs a backup.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
sweetsonic
Regular MemberPosts: 349
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, May 11, 2012

All good ideas, some I didn't even think of (like the F100).

The thought of doing film is kind of cool, but more time consuming than I'd like (can't just plug and play with my files, finding someone to develop, finding film, etc.). The D3200 is intriguing, but not available where I looked yet. Taking a break is good, but I've already done that for the past 3 months and its getting old. I really liked the D700... I upgraded to D800 because i just bought the D700 back in the Fall and thought that I might as well get the latest/greatest if I can resell the D700 for a decent amount ($2200). Re-buying the D700 is tempting, especially with some of the eBay deals out there, but i'd really be losing money and it is nearly a 5 year old camera now.

I think i've narrowed down to the D5100 or getting a compact/mirrorless to play with and perhaps keep. With the D5100, i get IQ comparable to the D7000 in a much cheaper package and since its relatively new, it would probably resell online (or to a family member or friend) for a decent price. I'd definitely miss some features...off-camera flash/commander mode, exposure bracketing, solid body, etc. But hey, i could still take pictures. I looked around for mirrorless/compact a little bit. Some interesting looking options (i.e. NEX-5N, Leica V-LUX, Nikon V1), but they seem a little overpriced for what they are.

So maybe the D5100, eh? Refurb on BHPhoto for

InTheMist wrote:

Or a D5100. Everybody needs a backup.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

4x5 Guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
In reply to Michael Firstlight, May 11, 2012

Michael Firstlight wrote:

I'd just take out my Nikon F2as and enjoy shooting a few roles just for the fun of it. Humm, I might anyway!

And if the OP doesn't have a F2as? What then?

You'd really go through the hassle of getting film, developing it, and scanning any good images just for the "fun" of using film? Very impressive!!

Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?

The D5100 is an excellent camera, I have one myself. The big plus is the angle LCD. Also, almost all the fun features included in the D800 are present : HDR (jpeg only), time lapse, mirror delay (auto mirror lock-up) etc... The IQ is excellent too and I did not experience any metering problem (no over exposition like on D7K) nor AF issues.

The only minus point is the lack of full manual video control. You can only control the aperture, no iso or shutter speed control. The D3200 has it. (welcome in 2012 Nikon !)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads