GPS tagging in China

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
JonB1975
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
GPS tagging in China
May 11, 2012

I've just read that the GPS tagging in Leica's new superzoom compact may not work in and around China. This is the first time I've come across this.

It makes you wonder how Canon (or Nikon) GPS tagging devices work there too.

And if they don't, what is the reason why?

China interfering with US GPS satellites?
The US denying GPS coverage to China??

JonB1975's gear list:JonB1975's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 50D
coolaction
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
Re: GPS tagging in China
In reply to JonB1975, May 11, 2012

Where did you hear this?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nekrosoft13
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
In reply to JonB1975, May 11, 2012

JonB1975 wrote:

I've just read that the GPS tagging in Leica's new superzoom compact may not work in and around China. This is the first time I've come across this.

what i heard is that China doesn't feel that citizens need acess to tech like GPS.

since they are communist, what they say is the law.

nekrosoft13's gear list:nekrosoft13's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
filmluvr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,093
Like?
In reply to JonB1975, May 12, 2012

I have read in several places that A) GPS is illegal to use in China without a permit from the police, and B) the Chinese government has deployed transmitters (inlcuding mobile vans) to jam GPS in certain areas.

ovrebekk
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,247
Like?
In reply to nekrosoft13, May 12, 2012

nekrosoft13 wrote:

JonB1975 wrote:

what i heard is that China doesn't feel that citizens need acess to tech like GPS.

Is it even technically possible to block GPS?
If they try, hopefully they don't forget about other alternatives like GLONASS.

Contrary to other countries where there are no laws?

MirkoK
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
In reply to nekrosoft13, May 12, 2012

epic! china isnt cumministic for 30 years....

and if china doesnt feel the need to let citizen have access to GPS why does every single mobile phone include GPS these days...which are made in china

where do you live in a USA redneck state?

fact is, you can use GPS in china with any GPS device.
BUT there is a "layoff" for google maps it seems.

if you go to google maps and chose beijing for example and you switch betweens satellite and maps it doesnt match, but you get the correct GPS data with any GPS device! fact

greetings from beijing

-- hide signature --
myphotographic
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
In reply to ovrebekk, May 12, 2012

ovrebekk wrote:

Is it even technically possible to block GPS?

Yes.

Big Scale
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/11/korea_gps_standoff_blocking/

Small Scale
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17119768

-- hide signature --

Paul

filmluvr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,093
Like?
In reply to MirkoK, May 12, 2012

MirkoK wrote:

Ridiculous. China is ruled by the Chinese Communist Party. It even has the image of a communist mass murderer on its currency. If you really believe China isn't communist, I suggest you march right over to Tiananmen Square and unfurl a pro-democracy banner.

Severian The Lame
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
In reply to filmluvr, May 12, 2012

filmluvr wrote:

MirkoK wrote:

Ridiculous. China is ruled by the Chinese Communist Party. It even has the image of a communist mass murderer on its currency. If you really believe China isn't communist, I suggest you march right over to Tiananmen Square and unfurl a pro-democracy banner.

Obviously China is still a communist state in the sense of an authoritarian, anti-democratic state run by the Communist Party. But Chinese communism as Mao envisioned it died with him. All of the 20th century communist ideologues are probably rolling in their graves.

Severian The Lame's gear list:Severian The Lame's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +10 more
mischivo
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?
GPS worked in Beijing and Shanghai for me
In reply to JonB1975, May 12, 2012

When I was in China in Spring of 2010, I was using my old iPhone preloaded with maps and GPS turned on to get around the cities. My location was always accurate. As far as I recall, I turned the cellular signal off, so I'll assume that my coordinates were not a result of AGPS but of true GPS signals being received by the telephone.

my 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

portfolio :: http://pavelkounine.com
daily blog :: http://pavelkounine.com/blog

I shoot film. I shoot digital. Both are great in their own ways. The nice thing about film is that I can always have the most advanced imaging technology around packed into my 20 year old camera. That's one aspect of digital that I loathe.

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,789Gear list
Like?
In reply to MirkoK, May 12, 2012

What is wrong with you? Why does it matter which state he lives? People enjoy way more freedom and human rights in any states in US or any countries in Europe. Like other posters said China has been a totalitarian regime ran by the communist party for over 60 years even though they have been practicing somewhat free market system for a while. They are willing to do funny things just so people in power can keep the status quo.

MirkoK wrote:

and if china doesnt feel the need to let citizen have access to GPS why does every single mobile phone include GPS these days...which are made in china

where do you live in a USA redneck state?

fact is, you can use GPS in china with any GPS device.
BUT there is a "layoff" for google maps it seems.

if you go to google maps and chose beijing for example and you switch betweens satellite and maps it doesnt match, but you get the correct GPS data with any GPS device! fact

greetings from beijing

-- hide signature --
 carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Kindadukish
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: GPS worked in Beijing and Shanghai for me
In reply to mischivo, Feb 12, 2013

Came across this thread while searching for information on the Chinese version of the Canon 6D. I live in Beijing and I was thinking of buying this camera from Amazon China because the price is very reasonable -- basically the same price as Amazon US, but with tax included. IE, if I bought it from Amazon US from California, I'd pay the 10% tax in addition, making the final US price 10% higher.

However, in looking at the manual (downloaded from the US support site) before ordering I noticed it said there is a version of the 6D which does not have WiFi and GPS. Then I looked carefully at the Amazon China webpage, and then Canon China's webpage, and it's clear that the mainland Chinese version of the 6D does not have GPS (it does have WiFi). I'm lucky I can read Chinese as I was within a few minutes of ordering.

I don't really care much about GPS myself, but I do care about eventual re-sale value outside of China. And I don't want to have to explain why this one doesn't have this feature.

What's interesting is that if you search Amazon China for GPS devices, there are plenty of them available (and lots of cab drivers and regular folks use GPS in China), including camera GPS devices. So as is common with China, there's some arbitrary rule (probably) about GPS built-in to cameras which is still being enforced, even while some other part of the government (probably) has allowed GPS devices for cars.

Now I have to wait for a trip to Hong Kong to buy a new 6D.

Peter Kwok
Senior MemberPosts: 2,141Gear list
Like?
Using GPS is technically illegal in China
In reply to JonB1975, Feb 12, 2013

Using GPS to survey locations is technically illegal in China.  Foreigners caught doing so may be charged with espionage.  China is a one party dictatorship.  They have lots of laws, but they selectively enforce them depending on the policy of the day.

On the other hand, everyone in China carries a smartphone with a GPS chip.  Taxi drivers depend on it for navigation.  However, foreign web sites may not supply maps without putting in an offset.  That is why Google maps & satellite views do not line up.  Only Chinese sites may supply correct maps, which the government can turn off whenever they wish.

On my last trip to China, I left my GPS tracker on all day.  Actually, it is a Nexus 7 tablet.  Don't ask, don't tell.

-- hide signature --

Peter Kwok
Click here for my PBase gallery
WYSIWYG - If you don't like what you get, try to see differently.

Peter Kwok's gear list:Peter Kwok's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 4,978
Like?
In reply to carlk, Feb 12, 2013

carlk wrote:

What is wrong with you?

OK good forum users. There is no need for talk like this.

May I remind you that political discussions are not permitted in these gear forums - Open Talk is the place.

I'm willing to let it continue in the interests of leniency, but if people start shooting their mouths off and hurling veiled insults, then it will have to be put to a stop.

golfgti2012
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?
In reply to schmegg, Feb 12, 2013

Chinese version of 6D does NOT come with GPS.

golfgti2012's gear list:golfgti2012's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,161Gear list
Like?
In reply to nekrosoft13, Feb 13, 2013

nekrosoft13 wrote:

JonB1975 wrote:

New one on me.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Canon EOS 6D +8 more
gruncharov
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Feb 13, 2013

This rumor you've heard is .. lol. I currently work and live in China, and I've never had any problems using GPS on the I-Phone, as well as on a 6D from a friend. It work's. You can't block the GPS signal, unless you cover the whole sky with ... let's say rice, since we talk about China

gruncharov's gear list:gruncharov's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX
Dan 1964
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Canon EOS 6D that has the GPS option in China
In reply to Peter Kwok, Mar 8, 2013

Does anyone has been to China lately as a tourist with a Canon EOS 6D that has the GPS option and does the authority or custom officer check it out or mentioned anything about that GPS law if there is ?

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,082
Like?
uhm, isn't that true pretty much anywhere?
In reply to nekrosoft13, Mar 9, 2013

Whatever Britain wants, Britain gets. Whatever the U.S. wants, the U.S gets. Whatever Canada wants, Canada gets. It's not like you get a chance to vote on 99% of the laws in any country.

The U.S. doesn't want you to unlock your cell phone? You can't. The U.S. doesn't want to you fly aerial drones equipped with cameras? You can't. And if the U.S. decides terrorists use GPS, you won't be able to use that either.

In China, it is not illegal to use a GPS. It is illegal for foreigners to use GPS to create a map. Which makes more sense than some of the photo bans in the U.S. and Britain.

Zorglub4000
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 6D that has the GPS option in China
In reply to Dan 1964, Mar 9, 2013

Dan 1964 wrote:

Does anyone has been to China lately as a tourist with a Canon EOS 6D that has the GPS option and does the authority or custom officer check it out or mentioned anything about that GPS law if there is ?

I went there one month ago with my 6D, having an extensive use of GPS on it and on my iPhone.
Never heard anything about this kind of prohibition.
As there are security checks everywhere, my camera bag has been x-rayed hundreds of times, but nobody mentioned anything about GPS.

Zorglub4000's gear list:Zorglub4000's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads