Is the Sigma 30mm F2.8 the best lens for NEX? Your thoughts

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
KM Legacy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955
Like?
Re: Is the Sigma 30mm F2.8 the best lens for NEX? Your thoughts
In reply to MBRuss, May 11, 2012

"Take the lens off the camera, and tilt it back and forth, whilst looking into the rear of the lens - see if you notice the lens elements moving."

It's my understanding that the rattling is due to the diaphragm mechanism; certainly not to lens elements moving.

Most, if not all, the SLR lenses I've ever owned rattled when shaken, due to the mechanical auto diaphragm linkage. Didn't affect the pictures one bit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,179
Like?
In reply to KM Legacy, May 11, 2012

KM Legacy wrote:

"Take the lens off the camera, and tilt it back and forth, whilst looking into the rear of the lens - see if you notice the lens elements moving."

It's my understanding that the rattling is due to the diaphragm mechanism; certainly not to lens elements moving.

Most, if not all, the SLR lenses I've ever owned rattled when shaken, due to the mechanical auto diaphragm linkage. Didn't affect the pictures one bit.

There are definitely elements moving in there. From what it looks like, there are 1 or 2 elements that move back in forth in the center of the lens to attain focus. When there is no power supplied to the lens, that focusing group moves freely. That is where the rattle comes from. It seems like there must be rubber bushings at each end of the focus travel, judging by the sound and feel of the rattle, so it does seem dampened. I'm fine with it, as long as it lasts, although, at only $199, I'd be happy with getting a couple of years out of it.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 10,950Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the Sigma 30mm F2.8 the best lens for NEX?
In reply to headofdestiny, May 11, 2012

No the Sigma 19 is, for my NEX. This month, anyhow.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon 1 S1 NEX5R Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +10 more
gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?
In reply to villebon, May 11, 2012

villebon wrote:

gfrensen wrote:

When you want a lens with a minimum on distortion or CA then there are other lenses.

So, which E-mount lens has less distortion and CA? And how did you come to this conclusion?

OK the Cz 24 mm has les CA then the Sigma (the CZ arround 6 and the Sigma around 9)
Average distortion of the CZ is lower then that of the Sigma.

Or

The 50mm 1.8 oss has stabilization, has less CA (max around 3-4) compared with the Sima average of 6 and a max of around 9)

The distortion is lower then the Sigma and both lenses have a larger apperture, that can help.

(look at http://www.slrgear.com for the full report)

-- hide signature --

Villebon

KM Legacy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,955
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, May 11, 2012

Doesn't sound good. I checked the Sigma website and the lens does indeed have internal focusing. You can't argue too much with the optical results so far, but longevity could be a concern. However, the lens costs only $200, so one could just buy a replacement when it wears out

I'm guessing that in order to speed up AF, they made the moving assembly as light and "loose" (low-friction) as possible.

I gather that Sigma says something about the rattle in the manual. What do they say, exactly?

villebon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?
In reply to gfrensen, May 11, 2012

gfrensen wrote:

villebon wrote:

gfrensen wrote:

When you want a lens with a minimum on distortion or CA then there are other lenses.

So, which E-mount lens has less distortion and CA? And how did you come to this conclusion?

The distortion is lower then the Sigma and both lenses have a larger apperture, that can help.

I really thought you'd be pointing to lens having the same focal lenght as the 30mm Sigma. As such, neither lens are a replacement for the Sigma.

-- hide signature --

Villebon

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to KM Legacy, May 12, 2012

I dont know how you can go wrong - yea it rattles and isnt the best build quality possible, but its a $200 lens with a 4 year warranty

KM Legacy wrote:

Doesn't sound good. I checked the Sigma website and the lens does indeed have internal focusing. You can't argue too much with the optical results so far, but longevity could be a concern. However, the lens costs only $200, so one could just buy a replacement when it wears out

I'm guessing that in order to speed up AF, they made the moving assembly as light and "loose" (low-friction) as possible.

I gather that Sigma says something about the rattle in the manual. What do they say, exactly?

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
malebocks
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
In reply to MBRuss, May 12, 2012

SLRGear did a review of this and noted the following "It's worth noting that the focusing lens elements that move are loose inside the lens when not attached to the camera so they make a rattling noise: Once attached to the camera the linear focusing motor is engaged and there is no more noise.". The review is at http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1483/cat/30 .

mgatov
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?
In reply to kaloksi, May 12, 2012

I've been rather happy with the Sony Macro 30mm. I had unfortunate experiences with Sigma products in the past.

mgatov's gear list:mgatov's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +3 more
gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?
In reply to villebon, May 12, 2012

villebon wrote:

gfrensen wrote:

villebon wrote:

gfrensen wrote:

I really thought you'd be pointing to lens having the same focal lenght as the 30mm Sigma. As such, neither lens are a replacement for the Sigma.

The OP was about the best lens, not about the best 30mm lens (the 30mm sigma lens is the best 30mmnative AF E-mount lens in many ways). In my original answer I mentioned other lenses with other FL (the 24 and 50mm) that are in many ways better then the Sigma. That those lenses are not a replacement for the 30mm Sigma, I know. But in IQ well they are better and cost more....

-- hide signature --

Villebon

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,732Gear list
Like?
Without having used one or even held one I can safely say....

it'll be more than good enough for the average enthusiast and probably many better photographers. There are no "dog" lenses anymore, they're all "good enough". Some are better than others of course but I like the 16mm F2.8 so clearly I'm easily pleased :).
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?
In reply to MBRuss, May 12, 2012

MBRuss wrote:

creeker wrote:

MBRuss wrote:

wll wrote:

kaloksi wrote:

The Sigma 30mm F2.8 lens is getting very high remarks from many reviews. What are your thoughts?

More info at http://www.cscrumors.com/2012/05/11/the-best-e-mount-lens-for-the-sony-alpha-nex-7-compact-system-camera-is-probably-the-sigma-30mm-f2-8-lens/

Do u have that lens. I can tell u it is a very fine performer for stills. Since I don't shoot video I could not tell u in that regard.

wwll

Well, the fact that it doesn't have built-in image stabilization and is quite noisy/rattly, I'd say it'd be pretty poor for video...

Mine doesn't "rattle", and being only 30mm it's fairly easy to keep the shutter speed at a 1/60 or faster, negating the need for image stabilization. Plus it is a very sharp lens. It's build quality is at par with other lens of that price. If someone comes out with a high quality build lens with the IQ of the Sigma then I will say there is a better lens. Compared to other lens designed for the e mount, the Sigma shines.
Ed

Geeez, what the heck do you want for $199? Dancing girls too?

I was quite clearly talking about video, not stills - as such, the OSS is far more important in this regard than when shooting stills.

If yours doesn't rattle, then you're the only one. From what I've read on here, it's a "feature" of every Sigma 30mm, except yours of course.

Take the lens off the camera, and tilt it back and forth, whilst looking into the rear of the lens - see if you notice the lens elements moving.

Anyway, I don't see where I said that it was a poor lens, that it wasn't good value, or that it wasn't sharp?? All I said is that it'd make a poor video lens because it has no stabilization and it makes noise (which yours apparently doesn't do).

As it is, I actually think it's good value and I like the lens for all its plus points. I was aware of the rattle and lack of OSS before buying it, so I'm not disappointed with my new purchase.

Sorry MBRuss. I didn't realize your point was meant more towards video. I guess I let my Sigma 30 "fan boy" take over. I'v been getting good results with the Sigma 30 and I'm happy with it, but much of what you say is true. It surely could be made better, and I would be willing to pay more for the better quality. But to answer the OP, is it the best lens for the NEX-7, I would say no. It it a decent lens in it's range, but for me the best lens for the Nex-7 would be a high quality mid range zoom, designed just for the Nex-7. I like the range of the 30mm, but for most people the 30mm range is too limiting. For me it is my walk around lens. Anyway I didn't intend to offend, hope I didn't
Ed

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,423Gear list
Like?
In reply to gfrensen, May 12, 2012

gfrensen wrote:

villebon wrote:

gfrensen wrote:

villebon wrote:

gfrensen wrote:

The OP was about the best lens, not about the best 30mm lens (the 30mm sigma lens is the best 30mmnative AF E-mount lens in many ways). In my original answer I mentioned other lenses with other FL (the 24 and 50mm) that are in many ways better then the Sigma. That those lenses are not a replacement for the 30mm Sigma, I know. But in IQ well they are better and cost more....

IMO, the 24mm view is better (for me) than 30mm, so I'd say that the CZ24 is a better replacement for the Sigma there as well, if you really want to make that point.

I'm glad people are happy with the Sigma, and at $200, it's a deal. I'd be inclined to get this over other lenses as it has a much better bang-for-the-buck ratio. The fact that the CZ is slightly better and that I prefer the FOV is greatly outweighed by the price difference (and maybe size too). The slight compromises are worth it for most of us.

-- hide signature --

Villebon

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +9 more
MBRuss
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
In reply to creeker, May 12, 2012

creeker wrote:

MBRuss wrote:

creeker wrote:

MBRuss wrote:

wll wrote:

kaloksi wrote:

The Sigma 30mm F2.8 lens is getting very high remarks from many reviews. What are your thoughts?

More info at http://www.cscrumors.com/2012/05/11/the-best-e-mount-lens-for-the-sony-alpha-nex-7-compact-system-camera-is-probably-the-sigma-30mm-f2-8-lens/

Do u have that lens. I can tell u it is a very fine performer for stills. Since I don't shoot video I could not tell u in that regard.

wwll

Well, the fact that it doesn't have built-in image stabilization and is quite noisy/rattly, I'd say it'd be pretty poor for video...

Mine doesn't "rattle", and being only 30mm it's fairly easy to keep the shutter speed at a 1/60 or faster, negating the need for image stabilization. Plus it is a very sharp lens. It's build quality is at par with other lens of that price. If someone comes out with a high quality build lens with the IQ of the Sigma then I will say there is a better lens. Compared to other lens designed for the e mount, the Sigma shines.
Ed

Geeez, what the heck do you want for $199? Dancing girls too?

I was quite clearly talking about video, not stills - as such, the OSS is far more important in this regard than when shooting stills.

If yours doesn't rattle, then you're the only one. From what I've read on here, it's a "feature" of every Sigma 30mm, except yours of course.

Take the lens off the camera, and tilt it back and forth, whilst looking into the rear of the lens - see if you notice the lens elements moving.

Anyway, I don't see where I said that it was a poor lens, that it wasn't good value, or that it wasn't sharp?? All I said is that it'd make a poor video lens because it has no stabilization and it makes noise (which yours apparently doesn't do).

As it is, I actually think it's good value and I like the lens for all its plus points. I was aware of the rattle and lack of OSS before buying it, so I'm not disappointed with my new purchase.

Sorry MBRuss. I didn't realize your point was meant more towards video. I guess I let my Sigma 30 "fan boy" take over. I'v been getting good results with the Sigma 30 and I'm happy with it, but much of what you say is true. It surely could be made better, and I would be willing to pay more for the better quality. But to answer the OP, is it the best lens for the NEX-7, I would say no. It it a decent lens in it's range, but for me the best lens for the Nex-7 would be a high quality mid range zoom, designed just for the Nex-7. I like the range of the 30mm, but for most people the 30mm range is too limiting. For me it is my walk around lens. Anyway I didn't intend to offend, hope I didn't
Ed

Nah, no offense taken - we're basically agreeing anyway. I think the Sigma is a great lens and an absolute steal. I just would be inclined to use the kit lens, 18-200, or e-mount 50 for shooting video. They are slightly quieter when they focus (the e-mounts are basically silent) and the OSS is great for those of us with wobbly hands.

That said, I'm intrigued to try my Sigma for video. My suggestion that it'd be poorer for video than the e-mounts was based on what I knew about the lens, as opposed to me trying it. I dare say it'd give perfectly serviceable results.

Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,604Gear list
Like?

kaloksi wrote:

I won't be buying it. I shoot the equivalent of a 35mm lens on a 35mm film camera. This follows through to medium format film and my love of the X100 and Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 on the Nex-7. That said, I own many 50mm lenses for my film cameras. In fact, I own more 50s than any other focal length. Some cost more than the NEX-7 and Zeiss put together. I discovered that I just don't use that focal length much. So, won't be buying the Sigma, which is certainly a good value only if you use that focal length.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, May 12, 2012

headofdestiny wrote:

There are definitely elements moving in there. From what it looks like, there are 1 or 2 elements that move back in forth in the center of the lens to attain focus. When there is no power supplied to the lens, that focusing group moves freely. That is where the rattle comes from. It seems like there must be rubber bushings at each end of the focus travel, judging by the sound and feel of the rattle, so it does seem dampened. I'm fine with it, as long as it lasts, although, at only $199, I'd be happy with getting a couple of years out of it.

Yes, the focusing group freely moves inside. I don't have the lens, but my mate bought one and as we unpacked it we were watching in disbelief as the focusing group went back and force there emitting click-clack sound. I didn't notice any damping (although there must be some), the sound is loud and clear, not a muffled thump.

Jim Funston
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
In reply to fermy, May 13, 2012

I received and did my own testing of this lens and after the test I removed the 28mm and 35mm Contax G lenses from my kit and put them back in my Contax G2 kit. I am sure nothing will ever get me to remove the Contax G 45mm or 90mm from my NEX kit as to me they are flawless performers. Both the 28 and the 35 had some corner issues that the 30mm Sigma so far has done better with so that is why I switched.

drcrane
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to Jim Funston, May 13, 2012

Same here, G45 and G90 will NEVER leave my bag, as for the wider lenses i use the 19mm Sigma E and very happy with it too, but not as good as a Contax G.

Still thinking about getting a wide mf lens ala Canon FD 17mm f4 or the 12mm Voigtländer.

ChrisKramer1
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
In reply to kaloksi, May 13, 2012

It's frustratingly slow to start up, a bit slow to focus and I suspect a slight blue colour cast to the images. On the other hand, it is sharp corner to corner, relatively fast and light. It's the only lens I use and will probably be the only one I buy for the system - (although I am interested in seeing what the high grade standard zoom will be like).

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,179
Like?
In reply to drcrane, May 13, 2012

drcrane wrote:

Same here, G45 and G90 will NEVER leave my bag, as for the wider lenses i use the 19mm Sigma E and very happy with it too, but not as good as a Contax G.

Still thinking about getting a wide mf lens ala Canon FD 17mm f4 or the 12mm Voigtländer.

Believe it or not, the Sony 50/1.8 has replaced my Contax G 45 in my bag. It isn't as critically sharp across the frame, but I get that sharpness with the Sigma 30, and the longer focal length, OSS and slightly faster aperture of the Sony are good for people photography. The Sony also has much smoother bokeh.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads