Could Samsung open the NX system to developers in order to increase market?

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
kaloksi
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
Could Samsung open the NX system to developers in order to increase market?
May 11, 2012

The Samsung NX system is not the most popular around in the compact system cameras market.

However Samsung is always pursuing to be number one or a close second in markets it invests.

Read an article that talks about this and points out strategies Samsung may use to increase their market share in the compact system cameras market being one of those the creation of a operative system to be used in their NX system that allows development of applications by programmers.

Article can be found here: http://www.cscrumors.com/2012/05/11/samsung-wants-to-be-number-one-in-compact-system-cameras-how-with-release-of-a-system-that-allows-apps-to-be-developed/

Let me know your thoughts on this.

kaloksi's gear list:kaloksi's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus E-M1
wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
Re: Could Samsung open the NX system to developers in order to increase market?
In reply to kaloksi, May 11, 2012

I don't see how this possibly could improve the shortcomings of the existing NX system and thus make it more attractive.

unless of course the RAW processing and jpeg engine can be replaced by better ones.

and unless they also supply information about the lenses and let other vendors produce lenses as well. E.g. I don't need the missing 16-80 zoom if I can get a 17-70 sigma instead.

If it's just some funny apps for sharing and other useless stuff than they should better completely shut down their CSC business, put a superzoom with a larger sensor into their next mobile phone and they'll probably be much more successful that way.

I'm growing tired of Samsung's halfhearted announcements that promise this and promise that but as of today Samsung have still a lot of unfinished business. The current NX generation might be really nice and I enjoy my NX200 but for once I'd like to see Samsung do their homework before talking about super-fantastic things that might come some day (or not).

Where's the 16-80 zoom? Where is the 55mm f1.8? Where is the firmware upgrade that fixes UI lockup on NX200 cameras?

Apps and gadgets won't make anyone switch from their current DSLR or CSC systems to NX. I wonder if anyone at Samsung might have thought about that.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,036Gear list
Like?
In reply to wictred, May 11, 2012

I totally agree with every single word you wrote. Anyway, if Samsung used Android (or a derivative) in the incoming future nx cameras, the panorama could completely change.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +10 more
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to kaloksi, May 11, 2012

Argh. That hateful term 'CSC'. Barf. Not a compact, not all mirrorless models are Interchangeable Lens ('system') and using 'camera' to describe a camera is redundant.

Anyway, I wish Samsung would start allowing Sigma and other lens manufacturers 'in' but look how Sony has gone back on their word to do the same? At this point, I doubt the NX line has sold enough units to make it worth a production run, frankly.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
sensibill
Like?

wictred wrote:

I don't see how this possibly could improve the shortcomings of the existing NX system and thus make it more attractive.

unless of course the RAW processing and jpeg engine can be replaced by better ones.

I don't think this is keeping them from selling units. The overall IQ the cameras put out is really quite good overall, even if it takes a good Class 10 card or processing a RAW file to get there.

If it's just some funny apps for sharing and other useless stuff than they should better completely shut down their CSC business, put a superzoom with a larger sensor into their next mobile phone and they'll probably be much more successful that way.

All companies explore various 'useless stuff'. Sony is certainly no exception, but you don't see people calling for them to shut down their Mirrorless segment.

I'm growing tired of Samsung's halfhearted announcements that promise this and promise that but as of today Samsung have still a lot of unfinished business. The current NX generation might be really nice and I enjoy my NX200 but for once I'd like to see Samsung do their homework before talking about super-fantastic things that might come some day (or not).

So enjoy your NX200. I don't know what 'unfinished business' you mean, but you sound like you just want to vent... All companies delay products or screw up in various ways. Sony has totally dragged butt on getting their lens spec out to third parties and their native library totally sucks compared to NX and certainly m4/3.

Where's the 16-80 zoom? Where is the 55mm f1.8? Where is the firmware upgrade that fixes UI lockup on NX200 cameras?

I agree a 50mm or 55mm 1.8 is overdue, but it's probably coming. There's a 16mm pancake of good quality and a 18-55mm kit with OIS and 18-200mm. I'd rather see an 8mm, 12mm or big zoom before a 16-80.

Apps and gadgets won't make anyone switch from their current DSLR or CSC systems to NX. I wonder if anyone at Samsung might have thought about that.

I'd wager they've thought more about it than you or I. Just because they aren't prioritizing the things we want doesn't mean they're asleep at the wheel. And no, I'm not a Samsung cheeleader by any means - my Galaxy Note phone is a total piece of garbage and I despise it.

Sony SLT-A57
MGJA
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?
In reply to sensibill, May 11, 2012

sensibill wrote:

Anyway, I wish Samsung would start allowing Sigma and other lens manufacturers 'in' but look how Sony has gone back on their word to do the same?

How so? The 30mm and 19mm Sigmas for the NEX are both great lenses at a highly competitive price that have certainly rekindled my interest in a system I had previously written off as useless due to gimped glass line up.

thielges
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?

I don't see opening up their firmware as an opportunity to meddle with the image datapath so much as a way to implement application level features. For example an intervalometer ap would be useful and straghtforward to implement. If there's any aps that manipulate images then the ap would be operating on the Samsung produced .jpg, not RAW. Think hipstamatic type manipulations.

Plus there's opportunities to fix annoying usability problems. One that I'd like to see is a simple "strip RAW" function. That would enable you to toss out the RAW part of a RAW+jpg image in-camera. Plus add a "convert RAW to jpg" for the same purpose when recording in RAW only mode. Super simple enhancements that would allow you to edit and cull in-camera.

sensibill
Like?
In reply to MGJA, May 11, 2012

MGJA wrote:

sensibill wrote:

Anyway, I wish Samsung would start allowing Sigma and other lens manufacturers 'in' but look how Sony has gone back on their word to do the same?

How so? The 30mm and 19mm Sigmas for the NEX are both great lenses at a highly competitive price that have certainly rekindled my interest in a system I had previously written off as useless due to gimped glass line up.

Ah, I didn't realize those had finally gotten greenlighted and released. That's good, and I agree, it breathes an entirely new life into the NEX line. Now if only the NEX-7 wasn't $1200 or the 5N had halfway decent controls...

Sony SLT-A57
sensibill
Like?
A quick word on Android
In reply to thielges, May 11, 2012

It really, really sucks. No, really, I hate it. With a passion.

I'm no big Apple fan, had been looking for an excuse (any) to get something more interesting than my user-experience-controlled iPhone 4. I got a Galaxy Note.

I have been regretting that most pointedly. Nothing works right, and if you fix it, that fix breaks something else. Repeatedly. Some builds and hardware gets supported, but the ones that aren't you might as well chuck in the trash can because without weekly fixes and updates the thing will be unusable. Basic stuff like media playback, audiobook folder sorting and prioritization all work intermittently at best, and restarts and force-closures are a daily event.

I've had to call ATT to get Visual Voicemail reactivated on this heap of crap four times because Samsung decided to pull that basic functionality from the most allegedly sophisticated and data-hungry phone yet conceived (huge AMOLED 5.3" screen, and LTE is very fast in the select few areas that support it). Anyway, I plan to head back to ATT today to not-so-patiently insist that the basic stuff I was enjoying on my Apple phone be made to work on the Galaxy. Some of that may be more Gingerbread issues since they weren't ready with ICS at launch (and still aren't), but I just have to say that after all these years, Droid ain't yet really ready for prime time.

At all. The honeymoon with Samsung and Android re: the Galaxy Note was very, very short.

Sony SLT-A57
thethirdcoast
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?

Terrific post.

There are a few fundamentals that Samsung also needs to work on, like overall responsiveness, AF speed, and the horrific RAW file sizes.

thethirdcoast's gear list:thethirdcoast's gear list
Samsung TL500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D5100 Sony SLT-A77 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads