Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
hoakin1981
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull
May 11, 2012

Hello to all. I've been looking to buy a fast telephoto lens for sometime now and i recently came accross a good deal for a used Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8D ED push-pull (mind that this is the older version) which looks like an excellent choice price-wise.

However i want this lens for both landscape and portrait work meaning that i need it to be sharp and reasonably fast/accurate in focusing. After some reviews read I know it must be sharp but i have some concerns about its focusing speed. Shooting an adult taking a pose is different from shooting a kid playing and to be honest i mainly care about the latter.

Here in the review of KR,

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-f28-af.htm

he claims that the focus speed is way too slow for what i have in mind. So i would like to hear any opinions and comments on the matter. Especially from anyone to actually owns one of these older push-pull models of the 80-200 f2.8.

The asked price is very near to a new Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 models.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull
In reply to hoakin1981, May 11, 2012

I bought my push-pull in 1995 when my youngest was 3 and oldest was 5. The lens kept up just fine with them.

I still have it. Can't justify replacing it for $2000 or whatever just to get VR, faster focus and a bit more IQ. All of the 80-200's are pretty good.

Besides, if you got a good deal on a used one, you'll be able to turn around and sell it for what you paid if you decide you want an AFS version.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ranamo
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?

hoakin1981 wrote:

Seems too much, but I don't know what the price are in your country.

In Holland a nice push-pull goes for €300 - €3250 . The newer one ring version for €400 - €600. and the latest AFS version for €800 - €900.

Focussing speed will be more dan fast enough. I have owned one ( actualy 2 ) and used it a lot for motor sports. Never missed a shot because of slow focussing.

Goodlight
Ranamo

hoakin1981
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
In reply to ranamo, May 11, 2012

ranamo wrote:

hoakin1981 wrote:

Seems too much, but I don't know what the price are in your country.

In Holland a nice push-pull goes for €300 - €3250 . The newer one ring version for €400 - €600. and the latest AFS version for €800 - €900.

Focussing speed will be more dan fast enough. I have owned one ( actualy 2 ) and used it a lot for motor sports. Never missed a shot because of slow focussing.

Goodlight
Ranamo

Thank you for the replies so far. In Greece where i live the used Nikkor is for Eur 600.00 and the Tamron/Sigma can be found new at about Eur 700-800.

I know that online i could find cheaper alternatives for the used one but there is always a danger involved when there is no possibility of close inspection and testing before you buy which i think matters a lot in such cases. From photos you cannot properly check a lens IMO.

PRW_Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 667
Like?

I just bought one of these push-pulls earlier this year. I love it. I've used it to shoot sports (swimming and soccer) without a problem. Focus speed is partially controlled by which body you will be using it with. The semi-pro bodies (D300/D700) have larger focusing motors and better AF systems, which will give better performance than the D90/D7000 bodies.

Paul Wossidlo
http://www.PaulRichardWossidlo.com

NikonHaoleboy
Regular MemberPosts: 294Gear list
Like?

You might want to look at KEH.com. They are listing several 80-200, f/2.8 push-pull zooms for between $465-$599 U.S. KEH has an excellent reputation and a 6 month warranty and their condition grading is the very conservative. Items they grade as "bargain" are frequently considered to be ex+ by others. I have bought Nikon equipment from them for 15 years and have had only one issue, which they quickly remedied.

NikonHaoleboy's gear list:NikonHaoleboy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +10 more
comoxbrit
Contributing MemberPosts: 635
Like?
In reply to NikonHaoleboy, May 11, 2012

It may be slower than most AFS lens but still fast enough for The Canadian Snowbirds.

wy2lam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,994Gear list
Like?

I've used all 3 AF versions of the 80-200/2.8.

The push-pull with the D is faster than the push-pull without the D. If you seldom shoot anything closer than 2-3 metres away the D is only a fraction slower than the 2-ring version (which also has the focus limiter)

Stay away from the non-D push-pull, even with the limiter on it's slow unless you're focusing something further than 10-20m, after which all tele lens have similar focusing speeds.

Take Ken Rockwell with a grain of salt. He often "review" stuffs without using them first.

hoakin1981 wrote:

Hello to all. I've been looking to buy a fast telephoto lens for sometime now and i recently came accross a good deal for a used Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8D ED push-pull (mind that this is the older version) which looks like an excellent choice price-wise.

However i want this lens for both landscape and portrait work meaning that i need it to be sharp and reasonably fast/accurate in focusing. After some reviews read I know it must be sharp but i have some concerns about its focusing speed. Shooting an adult taking a pose is different from shooting a kid playing and to be honest i mainly care about the latter.

Here in the review of KR,

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-f28-af.htm

he claims that the focus speed is way too slow for what i have in mind. So i would like to hear any opinions and comments on the matter. Especially from anyone to actually owns one of these older push-pull models of the 80-200 f2.8.

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads