Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
hoakin1981
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull
May 11, 2012

Hello to all. I've been looking to buy a fast telephoto lens for sometime now and i recently came accross a good deal for a used Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8D ED push-pull (mind that this is the older version) which looks like an excellent choice price-wise.

However i want this lens for both landscape and portrait work meaning that i need it to be sharp and reasonably fast/accurate in focusing. After some reviews read I know it must be sharp but i have some concerns about its focusing speed. Shooting an adult taking a pose is different from shooting a kid playing and to be honest i mainly care about the latter.

Here in the review of KR,

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-f28-af.htm

he claims that the focus speed is way too slow for what i have in mind. So i would like to hear any opinions and comments on the matter. Especially from anyone to actually owns one of these older push-pull models of the 80-200 f2.8.

The asked price is very near to a new Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 models.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull
In reply to hoakin1981, May 11, 2012

I bought my push-pull in 1995 when my youngest was 3 and oldest was 5. The lens kept up just fine with them.

I still have it. Can't justify replacing it for $2000 or whatever just to get VR, faster focus and a bit more IQ. All of the 80-200's are pretty good.

Besides, if you got a good deal on a used one, you'll be able to turn around and sell it for what you paid if you decide you want an AFS version.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ranamo
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?
Re: Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull
In reply to hoakin1981, May 11, 2012

hoakin1981 wrote:

The asked price is very near to a new Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 models.

Seems too much, but I don't know what the price are in your country.

In Holland a nice push-pull goes for €300 - €3250 . The newer one ring version for €400 - €600. and the latest AFS version for €800 - €900.

Focussing speed will be more dan fast enough. I have owned one ( actualy 2 ) and used it a lot for motor sports. Never missed a shot because of slow focussing.

Goodlight
Ranamo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hoakin1981
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
Re: Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull
In reply to ranamo, May 11, 2012

ranamo wrote:

hoakin1981 wrote:

The asked price is very near to a new Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 models.

Seems too much, but I don't know what the price are in your country.

In Holland a nice push-pull goes for €300 - €3250 . The newer one ring version for €400 - €600. and the latest AFS version for €800 - €900.

Focussing speed will be more dan fast enough. I have owned one ( actualy 2 ) and used it a lot for motor sports. Never missed a shot because of slow focussing.

Goodlight
Ranamo

Thank you for the replies so far. In Greece where i live the used Nikkor is for Eur 600.00 and the Tamron/Sigma can be found new at about Eur 700-800.

I know that online i could find cheaper alternatives for the used one but there is always a danger involved when there is no possibility of close inspection and testing before you buy which i think matters a lot in such cases. From photos you cannot properly check a lens IMO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PRW_Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 667
Like?
Re: Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull
In reply to hoakin1981, May 11, 2012

I just bought one of these push-pulls earlier this year. I love it. I've used it to shoot sports (swimming and soccer) without a problem. Focus speed is partially controlled by which body you will be using it with. The semi-pro bodies (D300/D700) have larger focusing motors and better AF systems, which will give better performance than the D90/D7000 bodies.

Paul Wossidlo
http://www.PaulRichardWossidlo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NikonHaoleboy
Regular MemberPosts: 294Gear list
Like?
Re: Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull
In reply to hoakin1981, May 11, 2012

You might want to look at KEH.com. They are listing several 80-200, f/2.8 push-pull zooms for between $465-$599 U.S. KEH has an excellent reputation and a 6 month warranty and their condition grading is the very conservative. Items they grade as "bargain" are frequently considered to be ex+ by others. I have bought Nikon equipment from them for 15 years and have had only one issue, which they quickly remedied.

 NikonHaoleboy's gear list:NikonHaoleboy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
comoxbrit
Contributing MemberPosts: 635
Like?
Re: Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull
In reply to NikonHaoleboy, May 11, 2012

It may be slower than most AFS lens but still fast enough for The Canadian Snowbirds.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wy2lam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,994Gear list
Like?
Re: Bargain for older 80-200 F/2.8D ED Push-pull
In reply to hoakin1981, May 11, 2012

I've used all 3 AF versions of the 80-200/2.8.

The push-pull with the D is faster than the push-pull without the D. If you seldom shoot anything closer than 2-3 metres away the D is only a fraction slower than the 2-ring version (which also has the focus limiter)

Stay away from the non-D push-pull, even with the limiter on it's slow unless you're focusing something further than 10-20m, after which all tele lens have similar focusing speeds.

Take Ken Rockwell with a grain of salt. He often "review" stuffs without using them first.

hoakin1981 wrote:

Hello to all. I've been looking to buy a fast telephoto lens for sometime now and i recently came accross a good deal for a used Nikkor 80-200 F/2.8D ED push-pull (mind that this is the older version) which looks like an excellent choice price-wise.

However i want this lens for both landscape and portrait work meaning that i need it to be sharp and reasonably fast/accurate in focusing. After some reviews read I know it must be sharp but i have some concerns about its focusing speed. Shooting an adult taking a pose is different from shooting a kid playing and to be honest i mainly care about the latter.

Here in the review of KR,

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-200mm-f28-af.htm

he claims that the focus speed is way too slow for what i have in mind. So i would like to hear any opinions and comments on the matter. Especially from anyone to actually owns one of these older push-pull models of the 80-200 f2.8.

The asked price is very near to a new Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 models.

 wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads