Worth "upgrading" from G3 to the OM-D?

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: Worth "upgrading" from G3 to the OM-D?
In reply to Boris, May 13, 2012

Boris wrote:

No...spend your money on lenses!
Boris

Yeah, lenses are always a good investment

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Reasons to upgrade
In reply to Melbourne Park, May 13, 2012

Melbourne Park wrote:

I have the OM-D ... but I waited a long time before going to m43.

So ... wait longer. There'll be a GH3, then a G4, and then a Pro OM-D.

Spend some money on Lightroom, or Aperture, or something cheaper than will aid your colour issues. Enjoy the G3, its a great camera, and wait until more cameras come out.

Yes, wise advice, LR4 is a good thing to have, or buy lenses

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: I'll keep my G3 for a while
In reply to Martin Ocando, May 13, 2012

Martin Ocando wrote:

The OM-D right now is too young. There are a few issues that new adopters are still dealing with, and surely Olympus will come to fix them with either firmware upgrades, or replacements (paint flaking, unability to start unless pointing down, some reports of banding with the panny 20, to name a few).

Besides, sensor by sensor, results are pretty similar. Some even argue the OM-D uses the same G3 sensor, but no one have any proof yet.

I got my G3 a couple of months ago while I waited for the OM-D to come out and initial issues are sorted out. Now I'm having second thoughts. I might wait even more.

Besides, some say in lens IS is better than IBIS. I have no proof, since I only have the G3, but I don't see it as a major advantage. And since I only have Panny lenses, it is a plus in favor to the G3 to have the auto correction feature. If I get a OM-D, I will loose all that. That is a consideration nobody seems to think about.

If we were talking about upgrading from a G1 or G2, than it surely makes more sense, but the G3 is too close to the OM-D in capabilities and IQ to justify the upgrade for 3x the price.

And soon the GH3 and G5 will appear, to compare ...

-- hide signature --

Makinations
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
Re: Worth "upgrading" from G3 to the OM-D?
In reply to robonrome, May 13, 2012

I still have my G3 but we'll have to see if I use it. I bought the OM-D mostly because it is way cooler. But there are other reasons. It is faster, has better controls, has more customizable controls, can control Oly flashes off camera way better and has better IQ.

The G3 has a twisty LCD which I really like. (It can also be turned in towards the body so that it is protected if you want it to be.) I much prefer the video from the G3.

robonrome wrote:

Wondering anyone who has moved to the OM-D or planning to from the G3 - worth it and why? Thanks.

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
yellodog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,054Gear list
Like?
Re: Reasons to upgrade
In reply to Michael Kaufman, May 13, 2012

It's pretty elementary maths and you probably have a calculator on your pc...

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
Re: to rrr_hhh
In reply to j.m.young, May 13, 2012

j.m.young wrote:

Ok rrr_hhh I have a question. I just bought a 32GB HC I 10 times SanDisk Extreme card. I think this is what the review suggested (HC I) for my E-M5. Do you think I will see a large increase in speed from a SanDisk Ultra 64GB XC I 10 times? I don't know the difference between HC I and XC I or SanDisk Extreme or SanDisk Ultra. I couldn't find a 64GB HC I card.

I don't know, sorry. Plus these cards have impossible names. What I can tell from my experience : I'm using Sandisk cards. Untill now, my fastest cards were Sandisk Ultra, class 6 SDHC and 16 Gigas the card speed indicated is 20MBS. With that card, the G3 is slow to empty the buffer, but not the E-P3 (the E-M5 should be even better). I've now acquired a new Sandisk Extreme, class 10 SDHC and 32gigas. The card speed indicated is 90mbs (that should be the card used by Dpreview in his tests).

I've tried the new card on the G3, but it doesn't help to clear the buffer faster. The limitation is still there. Apparently, it is not due to the card, but to the G3 processors.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,599Gear list
Like?
Would love to see your accomplished work, in a gallery, greeg
In reply to greeg, May 14, 2012

the teacher with no experience

greeg wrote:

Don't forget his expertise of cars! A true renaissance man. No gear perzon, the real question is, when will you ever start reading the user's manual to properly set up your cameras? I took a quick peek at your gallery and noticed that the ones taken with your highly regarded OM-D are just as bad as before.

j.m.young wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

The real question here is how the GH3 will compare to the OM-D.

photo perzon....I'm impressed with your knowledge of the GH3!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dam you know it all.
Whats the volume of the GH3? Is it 50%

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,561Gear list
Like?
Re: I'll keep my G3 for a while
In reply to Michael Kaufman, May 14, 2012

According to Photozone.de, and around here in Dpreview, Oly cameras only correct for distortion on Panny lenses. CA and vignetting are corrected on Panasonic cameras only.

Michael Kaufman wrote:

Martin Ocando wrote:

Last time I heard, Oly cameras did not auto corrected for Panny lenses. CA or anything. Did that changed ?

I don't know what you heard, or when you heard it, but the Olympus E-P1 did correction on Panasonic lenses, and that's about as far back as you can go.

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
j.m.young
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
Re: Would love to see your accomplished work, in a gallery, greeg
In reply to photo perzon, May 15, 2012

photo perzon wrote:

greeg wrote:

Don't forget his expertise of cars! A true renaissance man. No gear perzon, the real question is, when will you ever start reading the user's manual to properly set up your cameras? I took a quick peek at your gallery and noticed that the ones taken with your highly regarded OM-D are just as bad as before.

j.m.young wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Dam you know it all.

Greeg...I'm not following the thread correctly. What persons gallery did you "take a quick peek at your gallery and noticed that the ones taken with your highly regarded OM-D are just as bad as before." I know I haven't any photos in my dpreview gallery and no photos posted taken with my E-M5. But it looked like your talking about me.

I think it's just me so much quoting in this thread I think I just lost track I think photo perzon has also. No problem but thanks if you can clear this up for me.

j.m.young's gear list:j.m.young's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +34 more
j.m.young
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
Re: Would love to see your accomplished work, in a gallery, greeg
In reply to j.m.young, May 15, 2012

j.m.young wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

greeg wrote:

j.m.young wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Dam you know it all.

Greeg...I'm not following the thread correctly. What persons gallery did you "take a quick peek at your gallery and noticed that the ones taken with your highly regarded OM-D are just as bad as before." I know I haven't any photos in my dpreview gallery and no photos posted taken with my E-M5. But it looked like your talking about me.

I think it's just me so much quoting in this thread I think I just lost track I think photo perzon has also. No problem but thanks if you can clear this up for me.

Ok I went back through the thread and it looks like you are talking about photo perzons gallery...I agree with your assessment the E-M5 has not improved the photographer.

j.m.young's gear list:j.m.young's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads