I wanted a proper instruction book for the E - M5.....

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,030Gear list
Like?
Thanks, I didn't know the extended version existed.
In reply to griddi, May 11, 2012

The little thing that came with the EM5 doesn't cover a lot, and there's a lot to cover.

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Holloman
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
Re: Olympus should have included a printed manual...
In reply to griddi, May 12, 2012

Olympus could have included a printed manual for a cost that should have been no more than $1.00 USD for each body; and perhaps as little as 50 cents each. Cost goes down as quantity goes up.

Reminds me of Hershey removing the paper wrapper. They cut cost. And, I never enjoyed eating a Hershey bar as much after that.

Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Holloman, May 12, 2012

Jim Holloman wrote:

Olympus could have included a printed manual for a cost that should have been no more than $1.00 USD for each body; and perhaps as little as 50 cents each. Cost goes down as quantity goes up.

Reminds me of Hershey removing the paper wrapper. They cut cost. And, I never enjoyed eating a Hershey bar as much after that.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41487304

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Makinations
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
Kindle fire
In reply to griddi, May 12, 2012

I just sent the pdf to my kindle fire. Works great.

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,998Gear list
Like?
Re: I wanted a proper instruction book for the E - M5.....
In reply to griddi, May 13, 2012

griddi wrote:

I found it quit a bother to always for every little instruction to switch on the computer to have a look on the downloaded CD for the Olympus E - M5, so yesterday I took the CD to a printer firm, had to wait for about 15 min. and paid $9.00 Australien dollars, and have now a very nice proper instruction book.....

I put the PDF version of the GH2 manual on my iPad. A couple of big advantages there is that it's searchable and I can bookmark important items.

It took well over a year for someone to write a real User Guide for the GH2. That lives on my iPad, too. I would hesitate to call the mess Panasonic ships with the GH2 a "manual". Be prepared to wait.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
tomgoo
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
...you can order the original printed Olympus E-M5 manual here:
In reply to jeffharris, May 13, 2012

...you can order the original printed Olympus E-M5 manual here:

http://shop.olympus.de/e_commerce/Handb ücher-man-1.htm

Tim in upstate NY
Like?
Update: Free Printed Manual Arrived
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, May 18, 2012

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

lplummer wrote:

After receiving my E-M5 (Seattle, US), I simply called up Olympus US and asked about a printed manual. In a few days, they mailed out a perfect bound (think paperback book) manual, about 5"x7.5". The cover has a nice, clear plastic page, the back cover is about twice as thick as the pages. Double sided, same as the PDF. It was free.

. . . Wow!

. . . I just called them and my free manual will be in the mail by tomorrow morning. They apparently aren't listing them for sale on their site but will send one for free if you call them and ask for it. Amazing.

. . . Thanks for posting this information.

. . . Olympus USA mailed my free manual last Saturday and it arrived yesterday. It's interesting that I had to buy it for the E-Pl3 but now they're free to OM-D users. No matter, now I'm happy!

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Holloman, May 18, 2012

Seems comparable to Oly's policy of not including hoods with their lenses, regardless of how much they cost.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
absoluutbeginner
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Re: Update: Free Printed Manual Arrived
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, May 18, 2012

Well ...thats a difference with Europe (Netherlands) .

You call them up and praise the camera , but they lead you to the site and ... 14 Euros for a copy. http://shop.olympus.nl/e_commerce/Handleidingen-man-1.htm
Thats a wee bit more than a dollar....probably it is the postal service !

absoluutbeginner's gear list:absoluutbeginner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
OM User
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
In reply to absoluutbeginner, May 18, 2012
 OM User's gear list:OM User's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +4 more
Tim in upstate NY
Like?
In reply to OM User, May 18, 2012

OM User wrote:

£13 for English version
http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerce/Manuals-man-1.htm

. . . A printed manual for a $1000 camera ought to be included for free. And it makes no sense that they charge for it one region but not in another. Wake up Olympus and stop this nonsense!

Portola
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?
Why do companies do that?
In reply to griddi, May 18, 2012

I don't understand why a company would make a poor manual for a good product, but Olympus is certainly not alone. The E-M5 is a complex instrument and deserves to be explained better. Most obviously, it needs a manual that is designed for the way it is delivered.

The manual is obviously designed for low-cost printing. It fits well into a small format and it is black and white only. Content is linked by printed page numbers. AND YET THEY DON'T PRINT IT!

I wouldn't mind a PDF manual if it was designed for PDF--take advantage of color, include hyperlinks instead of page number references, add a complete table of contents, etc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads