sony hx200v first impression

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
nhkhan22
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
sony hx200v first impression
May 11, 2012

Playing around with the camera. So far mixed feeling. The zoom is great but picture quality/resolution wi require some getting used to :-(. Planning to use the camera for overseas travel where travel bag size matter. Attached picture is out of lightroom4 with some sharpening and level adjustment. The picture is taken in Arizona from bedroom window out to a pond about 30 yards away. Overall very happy to buy this camera but now time to master skills on this camera and make best use of it. Any feedback on picture is welcome.

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 31,868Gear list
Like?
Re: sony hx200v first impression
In reply to nhkhan22, May 11, 2012

Enjoy your camera, take lots of pics
--
Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 6D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ric63
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?

What setting did you use?
--
Enjoy Your Photography,
Ric.

ric63's gear list:ric63's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-U20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Samsung Galaxy Camera 4G Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +13 more
aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 4,969Gear list
Like?
Over processed and cropped?
In reply to ric63, May 11, 2012

Apart from ISO 320, it seems to me, that it has been heavily over processed and cropped, hasn't it?.

Did you used digital zoom, which image size, may be a 5Mp shot?, did you happened to shot through the window glass? there're to many questions around.

Would you post the SOOC original shot to compare them and give you a better feedback?
--
aaanouel

Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.

Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Bill Borne
Forum ProPosts: 17,533Gear list
Like?
For one thing

Too much contrast
--
Bill

Link for Recent Trip Out West
http://www.pbase.com/bill_b/2011_trip

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 +3 more
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,361Gear list
Like?
can you post the same

shot un edited ?
--
All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marti58/

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +24 more
nhkhan22
Like?
Re: can you post the same
In reply to Marti58, May 12, 2012

ok...here is un-edited version from the camera. This picture is taken from bedroom through glass window. No editing or cropping. Shot serveral pictures with different modes. Still learnign the camera so don't know what's the best way to retrieve mode information. suggestion ?

bikeguy
Forum ProPosts: 10,966Gear list
Like?
In reply to nhkhan22, May 12, 2012

The original is not so bad considering the harsh light you were working with. And you can't always overcome harsh light in post processing. In an ideal world you would have filled that heron in with flash to counteract the tough light.

In your processing you went heavy on the contrast and saturation in your. My guess is that you wanted "more pop" your Green Heron there. He's a beautiful bird so that's understandable.

But by adding so much contrast and going heavy on the saturation you lost a lot of detail on the bird and made for a very unrealistic looking surrounding.

I made an attempt to give the bird some more "pop" and bring the focus in to it. This was quick and not entirely successful. My idea was to tone down the brightness surrounding the bird and try to bring him out a bit without losing to much detail.

Here's what I did in Lightroom 3:

1) In the basic panel: Exposure: +.66, Recovery: +26, Blacks: 10

2) With the Graduated Filter: 1) I pulled in from the lower right up towards the bird, following the line of the rocks/sand and brought that exposure down, 2) Did the same thing from the upper right corner coming down towards the bird, again, lowering the exposure.

3) With the adjustment brush I selected the bird and added a touch of clarity and some sharpness. You have to be very careful with the clarity brush as you lose detail with it.

Hopefully the adjustments look subtle. Here's the pic:

Cheers,

Charles
--

Latest: http://www.pbase.com/charleschessler/latestimages

Latest Birds: http://www.pbase.com/charleschessler/latestbirds

bikeguy's gear list:bikeguy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D +9 more
aaanouel
Like?
Don't blame the camera but....

Terrible shot indeed!

This picture is taken from bedroom through glass window.

A 144mm shot through a regular window glass... Uhm... what were you expecting for?
I suspected it, didn't I?
You already had the answer!
Don't blame the camera.

Txs4Sharing
--
aaanouel

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
ASR45
Like?
Re: can you post the same

Keep shooting practice makes perfect

nhkhan22 wrote:

ok...here is un-edited version from the camera. This picture is taken from bedroom through glass window. No editing or cropping. Shot serveral pictures with different modes. Still learnign the camera so don't know what's the best way to retrieve mode information. suggestion ?

-- hide signature --

Alan.

aaanouel
Like?
Please, do not do it again.
In reply to aaanouel, May 12, 2012

HX100V and HX200V have a Carl Zeiss Hi Quality Lens for a reason:

For getting that tremendous zoom power, first class, lens which is translated in an excellent Image Quality (IQ). Extreme precision (nanometers) equipment and pure materials are needed to make them.

Even if you put a cheap filter on your Zeiss lens, your shot IQ will be hurt a lot...

... but if shooting through not an thin optical glass but an ordinary 4 or 6 mm thickness glass without any surface treatment, you are screwing the whole optical engineering effort Sony put in your precious camera.

Please, do not do it again.
--
aaanouel

aaanouel
Like?
but not that way, Alan
In reply to ASR45, May 12, 2012

Keep shooting practice makes perfect

(very smart...) as long as he don't keep doing it through window glasses... don't you think Alan?
Did you really watch the photo and read how he did it?
--
aaanouel

aaanouel
Like?
Excellent job... no miracles possible.
In reply to bikeguy, May 12, 2012

You did a good job trying to recover the image Charles, but the capture was made shooting through an ordinary window glass at 144mm... the desired photo info was distorted and ruined, it didn't get into the camera. It's quite difficult to re-live an unborn dead, I'd say.
--
aaanouel

nhkhan22
Like?
In reply to bikeguy, May 12, 2012

Charles

Thanks much for your feedbac and advice on fixing the picture! BTW How did you get the last two steps you mentioned in in the lightroom? Are they done on photoshop?

I am psoting couple of more pictures that i took from outside of my hosue so no window glass. These are coming straight from camera without post processing. Do you have an advice on setting/compusure etc, so i dont need to spend time on post processing?
Regards
Niaz

aaanouel
Like?

What a difference Niaz!
Much better shots.

In the first one the focusing point seems to be a bit closer than the subject (look at the little grass at the right of the bird tail), which is OK in the second one (look at the fine tail feather detail, great!).

In both shots the subject is shadowed and backlighted so the birds details can't be defined as well as under direct light. In situations like these HX100V/HX200 have a smearing tendency on shadowed areas as you may perceive in the ground stones so I try to avoid to shoot when the main subject is in the shadows.

As long as you use the camera more and more, you'll manage it better and better, it's a great camera, the best deal you could get!.

It'a a pleasure to help (I'm kind of rough doing it, but for good learning I personally prefer sharp critics than cheers) , keep on posting them and
Txs4Sharing
--
aaanouel

ASR45
Like?
Re: Excellent job... no miracles possible.

aaanouel wrote:

You did a good job trying to recover the image Charles, but the capture was made shooting through an ordinary window glass at 144mm... the desired photo info was distorted and ruined, it didn't get into the camera. It's quite difficult to re-live an unborn dead, I'd say.

Ouch

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45
Like?

aaanouel wrote:

What a difference Niaz!
Much better shots.

In the first one the focusing point seems to be a bit closer than the subject (look at the little grass at the right of the bird tail), which is OK in the second one (look at the fine tail feather detail, great!).

In both shots the subject is shadowed and backlighted so the birds details can't be defined as well as under direct light. In situations like these HX100V/HX200 have a smearing tendency on shadowed areas as you may perceive in the ground stones so I try to avoid to shoot when the main subject is in the shadows.

As long as you use the camera more and more, you'll manage it better and better,

yes as i said perviously Practice makes perfect

it's a great camera, the best deal you could get!.

It'a a pleasure to help (I'm kind of rough doing it, but for good learning I personally prefer sharp critics than cheers) , keep on posting them and
Txs4Sharing
--
aaanouel

-- hide signature --

Alan.

nhkhan22
Like?

No problem. To be honest i was debating between FZ150 and Sony Hx200V. I had Pansonic Fz20 long time ago and liked it much but switched to DSLR for sports ever since. Now for summer traveling to overseas, bought HX200V for smaller size. I like everything about panasonic FZ150 except for yellow tint that drive me carzy. It was there in their FZ20 and I also noticed it on bunch of samples photos from FZ150 posted on internet. I liked the the fact that Sony HX200V has bunch of features, espcailly Panaromic which i planning to usein trip to Europe. BTW i do sport photography and now trying to learn more about landscape and Birds. So again thanks for your honest feedback!
Regards

Dale Reeck
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to nhkhan22, May 13, 2012

I always loved the hx100/200 "everything but the kitchen sink" approach, and for $500, you get a lot of camera, but the lack of RAW (still) bugs me enough to stay away from it. I know its not an DSLR, but nowadays, even point and shoots are getting RAW support. No excuse for not having it in a flagship of this class.

Lofi
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
In reply to nhkhan22, May 13, 2012

nhkhan22 wrote:

Playing around with the camera. So far mixed feeling. The zoom is great but picture quality/resolution wi require some getting used to

I really doubt that you'll ever get used to this:

Seriously, what is this? Is this the Sony "quality" one can expect in the future? It's like the picture has been taken at low MP resolution, then resized to higher MP and then some filter got applied. It's even worse than last years cameras.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads