Which flash cable for off camera flash with OMD?

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions
eyedo
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
Which flash cable for off camera flash with OMD?
May 11, 2012

WHich flash cable for off camera flash with OMD?

I have the new Olympus 600 flash(so far, do not like)

and I accidently ordered the Opteka flash cable for off camera flash.Needles to sy,it's for E-Volt and does not fit correctly and does not work.

I have the METZ 50 flash being delivered tomorrow but I use a flash bracket and I need a cable for the OMD.

Which model/brand to buy?

Thanks!

Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,799
Like?
Re: Which flash cable for off camera flash with OMD?
In reply to eyedo, May 11, 2012

The Olympus FL-CB05 is the official cable for off camera flash on any Olympus digital.

Rather than paying Olympus prices, or buying a cheap clone, I bought the Canon OC-E3.

It's better built than the Olympus cord, and the 4 prongs line up perfect with the Olympus 3 prong shoe.
--
My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...

Jeff.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lazy3yed
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, May 11, 2012

+1 to Canon OC-E3. It's built quality is way better than the original Oly ones. I'm using it with the FL-36R.

Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 22,884Gear list
Like?

eyedo wrote:

WHich flash cable for off camera flash with OMD?

and I accidently ordered the Opteka flash cable for off camera flash.Needles to sy,it's for E-Volt and does not fit correctly and does not work.

The Olympus DSLRs, Pens, and OM-D should all use the same cable. If the cable was meant for the E-VOLT, it should work for the E-M5.

I have the METZ 50 flash being delivered tomorrow but I use a flash bracket and I need a cable for the OMD.

As another poster mentioned, the Canon off camera cables can be used. Canon has 6 connections, and Olympus has 5, and the Olympus 5 pins overlap with Canon.

Note, if you are shooting indoors, you don't necessarily need a flash cable, as the OM-D has remote flash TTL mode, and the Metz 50 can work with it. You will need to mount the clip-on flash (or FL-600R) to act as a commander. Check out page 97 of the EM-5 manual.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,404Gear list
Like?

eyedo wrote:

What about it don't you like? It's not a $400-$600 pro unit and seems slotted perfectly between the FL50R and FL36R.

I'm liking mine so far. After using an FL50R on my Pens, the size is a nice relief and it seems very well made set right next to an FL50R for it's small size. Couldn't make it much smaller and still take four AA batteries, and being able to fit 4 cells is a big deal. The battery door takes up almost the entire one side. Any smaller and we'd be looking at another way under-powered two AA cell affair (YUK), and the 2700 mAh nickel metal hydride Powerex rechargeable cells I am using gives almost instantaneous recycles.

There's a niggle or two from a Pen users perspective. The AF assist light on the flash does not work. Must just be for the E-M5 for now and new bodies later. Fortunately, the E-P3's built-in AF assist works well. The flash head is big enough to work with my Demb bounce attachment and the older Canon off-shoe Cord II I've had for 7 years now connects the two with 100% compatibility.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +11 more
eyedo
Like?
In reply to Michael Meissner, May 11, 2012

I'm a professional photog and always use a bracket and flash.My clients would fall over if they saw a vertical photo of people with harsh shadows from their events.

I use a bracket and bounce.
My photos look very nice,that's how I've kept my photo career for 30 years
Just a certain look and quality that my clients want and expect.

I am spoiled by the Nikon SB-900 flash units though.I really hope that OLY can get up to speed as far as fast recycle and higher power.Not to mention,metal hot shoe and expensive though sturdy flash cord.

I may return the Oly 600 flash. I have the Metz on the way tomorrow and can pick up a Canon cable locally.

I use to use Canon for years before switching back to Nikon a couple of years ago.

I wish OLY were available in my local stores. Ritz Camera shoes not have the OMD or any good lenses.

So far I have the
45mm 1.8
14mm 2.5
25mm 1.4 Leica
45-200 Panny
14-45 kit

I think I am done for now though may get a 9-18 or 7-14mm. I need to see more excellent examples.Someone posted some beautiful 7-14 images here,would like to see more.I wasn't that impressed from what I saw on Flickr.I get leery of a lens when I see to much HDR or 'art effects' (yeah,that's art,uh-huh!)

Thanks for the cable info.

I did use a Canon cable on an Oly C8080 in 2004 on a trip shots were great.I believe I shot manual.

eyedo
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, May 11, 2012

Slow recycle on the 600 to me even with fresh NiMh batteries.
I also wish there was an external battery pack.

I think the plastic hot shoe is too old school.Really should have a metal one.

The flash is not very powerful compared to others I've use with my Nikon.

I know it's apples and oranges...BUT,I really would like to adapt this camera to my work and I think the Oly line of flash units could be brought up to speed in a few regards.

My Nikon's are good though they overheat really quick and I always bring 2 SB-900s on a shoot and extra batteries to swap out.

Would be nice if the Quantum battery packs could be used with these flash units.

The bounce card-that inch of white is pretty useless.

On the plus side,it's a nice looking unit and I do like the video light.That's about it.

However,

eyedo
Like?
In reply to Michael Meissner, May 11, 2012

I do a lot of tv work and they do not want any remotes used.

For that I'd have to use straight flash(I need a bracket and cord) or in some cases can use available light.

Gregm61
Like?

Sounds like you just need a heavy-duty pro unit for this camera, and that, the FL600R is not. Buy this with the Nikon and Olympus modules and save even your SB900's..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745999-REG/Metz_mecablitz_76_MZ_5_Handle.html

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +11 more
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 22,884Gear list
Like?

eyedo wrote:

I do a lot of tv work and they do not want any remotes used.

For that I'd have to use straight flash(I need a bracket and cord) or in some cases can use available light.

I agree that a flash cable is better, but it also sounded like you needed something immediately, and might not be able wait for normal mail delivery, and I was just pointing out options.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
eyedo
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, May 11, 2012

I had one of those side unit flash units in the late 70s...Too heavy.

I live the way I've shot for years.Flash on a bracket,bracket flips so I get clean verticals with no side shadows.Sometimes I do that and bounce too.

It's 'my look' and it works,my photos do not need really anything in the way of post processing,my clients are happy,I'm still in business.

Not familiar with that particular Metz but it looks too heavy and Not sure it can do bounce or quick verticals.

I miss the old days of well stocked camera stores where you can view these things and ask questions as you are playing with it.

Gregm61
Like?

eyedo wrote:

I miss the old days of well stocked camera stores where you can view these things and ask questions as you are playing with it.

We're very fortunate here to have two great brick and mortar stores that carry pretty much anything I would be interested in buying with Arlington Camera and Competitive Camera.

I use the same type flash setup with the Demb Bracket and bounce attachment that places the FL50R flash directly over the lens either vertically or horizontally and the Canon off-shoe cord to connect them. That's the very best flash unit Olympus makes. Metz makes a similar unit that many here use.

Having used the Pens, the backet method has not been too convenient without the eyelevel finder since I prefer the corded way of mating the camera+flash. The E-M5, especially with the grip attached, brings a lot of functionality back to that way of using flash for this system. I'm not much of a fan of the RC wireless system Olympus uses, or using the back LCD with a bracket mounted camera and flash.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads