So no 'real' mirrorless from Leica...

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
So no 'real' mirrorless from Leica...
May 10, 2012

...just several pathetically outdated and laughably overpriced hardware - Monochrome as niche, seriously? 320k LCD in 2012? APS-C as "premium large sensor"? A 50/2 for $7k+?
And this is following years of development, with EVF borrowed from Olympus...?

Seriously, I do not understand how will Leica survive with these failed attempts.

I thought they will release something competitive, modern system around $2k-$3k that might actually make people think about it, just to disrupt the mirrorless market.

...I guess the future of Fuji, Olympus etc remain more than safe because apparently Leica have completely lost the connection with the real world.

-- hide signature --

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?
I was thinking the same
In reply to szlevi, May 10, 2012

After several years developing, or at least consulting, for Panasonic, a few lenses wearing the LEICA name on them, why not developing a camera for the m43? Contract restrictions? Maybe

szlevi wrote:

...just several pathetically outdated and laughably overpriced hardware - Monochrome as niche, seriously? 320k LCD in 2012? APS-C as "premium large sensor"? A 50/2 for $7k+?

Seriously, I do not understand how will Leica survive with these failed attempts.

I thought they will release something competitive, modern system around $2k-$3k that might actually make people think about it, just to disrupt the mirrorless market.

...I guess the future of Fuji, Olympus etc remain more than safe because apparently Leica have completely lost the connection with the real world.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: The fact is ...

szlevi wrote:

• The fact is that Leica survived and are going to survive for many years, some buy Leica for collection, others for status, but there are true Leica lovers that don't buy it for that reasons, they are not cameras for all of us, but they are superb

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: I was thinking the same
In reply to Martin Ocando, May 10, 2012

Martin Ocando wrote:

After several years developing, or at least consulting, for Panasonic, a few lenses wearing the LEICA name on them, why not developing a camera for the m43? Contract restrictions? Maybe

I think that is not any of those reasons, they just have not yet wanted to do a Micro 4/3 cameras, for that they also need to develop new lenses, and from what I read Leica prefers bigger sensors, or maybe they think that is to much competition for them, let's see, also Fuji a Micro 4/3 member did not have made any Micro 4/3 camera

szlevi wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando

-- hide signature --

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
szlevi
Like?
Re: The faRt is ...
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, May 10, 2012

...you got more empty clichés ready-to-deploy than anyone I know around here.

-- hide signature --

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
szlevi
Like?
In reply to Martin Ocando, May 10, 2012

Or at least APS-C? It is definitely werid but I doubt there is any contractual excuse behind this - it's just the good -ol' 'buuble effect', when they really lost touch with the outer world, I see this at long-running companies all the time.

The results are usually ugly - even though everybody see it long time coming their tunnel vision makes them blind, they usually only recognize clear and present danger, when it's very hard to turn around and costs a lot more.

Martin Ocando wrote:

szlevi wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando

-- hide signature --

dpalugyay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?
But it says Leica in big letters on the viewfinder...

So that everyone can see you like to throw around money so you must be really rich.

szlevi
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, May 10, 2012

1. Please start using proper punctuation marks
2. Please start using proper sentences

3. They just released an APS-C camera, they had everything at their disposal for a very nice mirrorless...

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Martin Ocando wrote:

I think that is not any of those reasons, they just have not yet wanted to do a Micro 4/3 cameras, for that they also need to develop new lenses, and from what I read Leica prefers bigger sensors, or maybe they think that is to much competition for them, let's see, also Fuji a Micro 4/3 member did not have made any Micro 4/3 camera

szlevi wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Peter Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,890
Like?
szlevi: So no 'real' mirrorless from Leica...

Leica has alway's been mirrorless. I did not care for your opinions and I want you to come to understand this. You sound like a spoiled child, just how old are you anyway? I'd guess around 22yrs old.

If you actually had a Leica, which (BTW I do have 2 Leica's) then maybe your eyes would open up and see why people like them just the way they are.

One thing is clear to me you are uninformed. Leica is at first and foremost a lens manufacturing company. The original Leitz factory was founded around 1888 in Wetzlar Germany and they were among the world leaders in microscope manufacturing. The Leica cameras are made as an instrument to mount these lenses.

Leica photographers like to keep things simple and these M camera are just what they want. They use their own knowledge to get the images not computerized tools. Did you know that it was a Leica employee that invented 35mm cameras and it was Leica that invented Auto Focus? Leica deemed that the people who used their cameras had no need for AF and hence they sold it to Minalta, who in turn came out with the worlds first AF cameras using the Leica technology.
Leiuca does not need "pupies" like you. In fact you do not deserve a Leica.

A 256K LCD screen is working just fine on my Olympus E-P1 so I do not agree with you or DPR on that one.

szlevi wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

szlevi
Like?
I got that but...
In reply to dpalugyay, May 10, 2012

...just how big is that market, seriously? I understand that their profit is growing but that's mostly from lenses and professional systems if I recall their last Q correctly.

I mean you can keep ripping off people with more money than brain, that's fine but you need stable revenue from volume sales to cover your rising R&D costs - and within the rich it's an even smaller subset of loonies who can be ripped off TWICE or 3X raped from behind by selling them another outdated Monochrome crap for more than the already overpriced color one...

...just how big is this market? Last year they enjoyed a nice bump but they had the V-Lux and the M-9P wasn't 3 years old technology minus color filter... the V-Lux 3 is a decent compact superzoom but that's becoming another niche nowadays especially for almost $1k.

-- hide signature --

DRabbit
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,522Gear list
Like?
You sound like a fan-boy...
In reply to Peter Nelson, May 10, 2012

And don't take it as an insult. I'm a Leica Fan-Girl

However, while I'll give them some credit for a gutsy B&W-only move (which may prove to be something quite special... time will tell), the X2 "upgrade" is rather sad.

Though, I will say this: It is interesting that Olympus was the EVF "partner" in the X2. Makes me wonder what they may announce in the future (photokina?) with regards to mirrorless. A combined effort from Olympus and Leica might prove interesting (especially to me since I'm a big fan of both - LOL!)

Rumors for a while have said their M10 and "Mirrorless" announcement wouldn't come until Photokina. There were no surprises here today, except that the X2 failed to deliver on some of the upgrades Leica users wanted.

szlevi: Do keep in mind, the M8 was mirrorless back in 2007. I know that isn't what you meant exactly, but rangefinders, by their nature, are already mirrorless.

And even as a fan-girl... their prices keep going up and up and up and up. Unless they do offer some affordable m4/3-like camera, the M8 is likely the last Leica I'll own. Sad

Amy
--

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Google+: http://gplus.to/DangRabbit
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DangRabbit
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DangRabbitPhotography
PAD Project: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography/pad
Gallery: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography

DRabbit's gear list:DRabbit's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M8 Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,281
Like?
If it wasn't for the cost...

...I would love to have that M Monochrom (even though they misspelled it).

-- hide signature --
odl
odl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,684
Like?
But a real bold step

It isnt simple bringing a nice product to market. I hope they are rewarded with good sales.

Ab

-- hide signature --

alatchinphotography.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For
knowledge is limited to all we now know and
understand, while imagination embraces the entire
world, and all there ever will be to know and
understand.” - Albert Einstein

TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,185
Like?
Re: So no 'real' mirrorless from Leica...

Three things:

1)Leica is doing quite well right now and had a big investment from a private equity firm recently in order to expand.

2)Leica generally does their biggest product announcements at Photokina which is a few months away.

3)Right now Leica is pretty severely capacity constrained. Try and find stock on pretty much any lens and they are sold out. Adding another camera line at the moment may not be the best answer.

Here is an excellent writeup and samples from the Monochrom from a contributor on these forums

http://www.slack.co.uk/slack/Monochrom.html

-- hide signature --
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,178
Like?
Re: szlevi: So no 'real' mirrorless from Leica...
In reply to Peter Nelson, May 10, 2012

Peter Nelson wrote:

Leica has alway's been mirrorless. I did not care for your opinions and I want you to come to understand this. You sound like a spoiled child, just how old are you anyway? I'd guess around 22yrs old.

If you actually had a Leica, which (BTW I do have 2 Leica's) then maybe your eyes would open up and see why people like them just the way they are.

One thing is clear to me you are uninformed. Leica is at first and foremost a lens manufacturing company. The original Leitz factory was founded around 1888 in Wetzlar Germany and they were among the world leaders in microscope manufacturing. The Leica cameras are made as an instrument to mount these lenses.

Leica photographers like to keep things simple and these M camera are just what they want. They use their own knowledge to get the images not computerized tools. Did you know that it was a Leica employee that invented 35mm cameras and it was Leica that invented Auto Focus? Leica deemed that the people who used their cameras had no need for AF and hence they sold it to Minalta, who in turn came out with the worlds first AF cameras using the Leica technology.

A 256K LCD screen is working just fine on my Olympus E-P1 so I do not agree with you or DPR on that one.

szlevi wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

Well I guess as long as your screen that was relevant 5 years ago still works, why change anything? You have to be like 70 years old and watch a tube tv, because it still works.

The problem with your argument is that if Leica actually put something like a 'modern' screen on their new 2012 camera instead of finding the last remaining supply of them from '07 in some warehouse, it wouldn't hurt your photo's one bit. And I know change is a bad word, but it might actually make your shooting experience better, not just good enough.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,038Gear list
Like?
Ah, Leica was mirrorless
In reply to szlevi, May 11, 2012

long before mirrorless was cool.

The mono body is most interesting - should yield some phenomenal detail and contrast. Only Leica owners would truly appreciate what M glass + a mono only body can produce.

And their glass... ever used Leica M on a M43 body? Or even the PL25 in a portrait setting? If you have, then you know why Leica still exists, and will continue to exist for some time.

I'm not saying that Leica is worth the money. It's like a very expensive wine. Rich in subtle detail, and a taste that it might be financially wise not to acquire.

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,700Gear list
Like?
Re: If it wasn't for the cost...yep.....
In reply to dotborg, May 11, 2012

dotborg wrote:

...I would love to have that M Monochrom (even though they misspelled it).

I would too! At any rate, it gives me hope that just maybe a b&w digital camera might be in the not-too-distant future at a cost that does NOT take your breath away!

Maybe a Pana-Leica?

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
szlevi
Like?
In reply to Peter Nelson, May 11, 2012

Oh noes... someone invoking the "Lecia magic dust" explanation while simultaneously waving his e-peeeeenis with his two Leicas hanging underneath... is seriously calling me a child?

Priceless, that is.
--

Peter Nelson wrote:

TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,185
Like?
In reply to szlevi, May 11, 2012

For someone who hasn't been around this forum very long you certainly have learned to be mean and nasty (on virtually every post) very quickly.
--
terry
http://www.terrybanet.com

szlevi
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, May 11, 2012

I don't think I'm any worse than the average top posters sans few sane people here... however I'm usually reasonable: when you jumped on me last time during one of your thinly disguised anti-Olympus (s)trolling attempt I didn't take you seriously either - it's a forum and it only allows very limited editing.

FWIW I'm hardly new to the scene - I started on 8600 baud and private BBSes long before http://www became actually useful (heck, I even used Mosaic back then)... I tend to call a spade a spade, that's all.

TEBnewyork wrote:

For someone who hasn't been around this forum very long you certainly have learned to be mean and nasty (on virtually every post) very quickly.
--
terry
http://www.terrybanet.com

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads