Vingetting on Wide Angle Lens - Question

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
cmpman1974
Contributing MemberPosts: 686
Like?
Vingetting on Wide Angle Lens - Question
May 10, 2012

I'm looking for some feedback as to which factors cause vingetting when using a wide angle lens on a camera. If you have a camera such as a LX-5 with an adapter tube accepting 52mm threads, is it safe to assume ANY WA lens utilizing threads of 55mm or more will have some vingetting? Is it brand specific? Does the expansion factor play a part (i.e.., 0.7x, 0.8x, etc.)?

Someone here said they use a KodakMinolta WA lens successfully with no vingetting. It has 49mm threads I believe. They use a step up ring (49mm to 52mm). Is it different to step up than to step down when using these lens types? I thought at first perhaps the distance between the native lens and the wife angle lens would be the issue (i.e., use of step up or step down ring), but this can't be true if this person gets no vingetting when using a step up ring.

I tried using the WCON-07 with the LX-5, but it just doesn't work. You need to zoom out to over 30mm to get no vingetting. I want a clean picture at 24mm, the beginning focal length. The Panasonic LWA52 is just too costly for me to consider.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

cmpman1974
Contributing MemberPosts: 686
Like?
Re: Vingetting on Wide Angle Lens - Question
In reply to cmpman1974, May 11, 2012

Up for help

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
privateman
Regular MemberPosts: 418Gear list
Like?

Hi,

it was me replying to you in your other wide angle thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&message=41416296 .

As you can see in my pictures the 0.8x Konica Minolta ACW100 works fine even at 24mm.

As it is 49mm I do need a STEPDOWN adapter (52 down to 49). There is no significant difference whether you step up or step down regarding the distance between the two lenses. I would however expect more vignetting when stepping down rather than stepping up, but my experiences with the ACW100 show that does not need to be.

Cyril Catt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,732
Like?

A step up ring would presumably allow the fitting of a lens with a larger diameter rear end, but its distance from the camera's own lens may still cause vignetting

The DMW-LWA52 and DMW-LW46 were designed specifically for the LX5 and LX3, to get optimal image quality at the wide angle setting in Conversion mode. Other lenses may work, but may not produce the same IQ. There appears to be no F 2.0 18mm lens for a DSLR - and if there was one, it is unlikely to be anywhere near as low cost as the the LX3 and LX5 models with their relevant accessories.

Amazon currently appears to have the DMW-LWA52 for $174.95, considerably lower than the launch price. (The DMW-LW46, for the LX3 is $134.95, about a third of the original Australian price)

Cyril

privateman
Regular MemberPosts: 418Gear list
Like?
In reply to privateman, May 11, 2012

privateman wrote:

There is no significant difference whether you step up or step down regarding the distance between the two lenses.

I'll have to correct my statement, since the adapters themselves may vary widely.

I just took out 3 step-up rings 49-52mm. The slimmest is B+W with 5.0 mm thickness, the others are 6.2 mm and 8.3 mm. And that may have an effect on vignetting in wide angle!

abarth595
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to privateman, May 11, 2012

Hello,

This is my first post to dpreview. I've spent time searching the forum, but can't find an answer to my specific query then found this post. I have recently taken delivery of a LX5, LA6 adaptor and a DMW-LW52 wide angle conversion lens (0.8x). The issue that I'm finding is at 24mm and 28mm there is vignetting when the wide angle lens is fitted (is that the correct term for seeing a lens in the corner of the image?), once past 35mm, the vignetting is no longer present.

I can still see the lens in the corner of the image when the conversion setting is selected from the menu. There is no zoom when in conversion mode and the lens is fixed at the widest point. Should I be seeing the lens in the image and just accept that this will have to be cropped or switch off the conversion setting and shoot at 35mm and above?

Other than the above, the camera and kit is a joy to use and I'm looking forward to taking some landscape shots once the Scottish summer decides to start.

tia

bondiblue
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
Something wrong with your setup
In reply to abarth595, May 13, 2012

If you are seeing vignetting something is wrong - I have the complete LX5 kit and no vignetting with the LA6 and DMW-LWA52.

BTW this adapter is 0.75X, not 0.8X.

bondiblue's gear list:bondiblue's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 +2 more
bondiblue
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
PS...
In reply to bondiblue, May 13, 2012
 bondiblue's gear list:bondiblue's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 +2 more