HOW disappointed are you?

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?
Re: HOW disappointed are you?
In reply to Michael S., May 11, 2012

If I wanted innovative I'd buy the plastic fantastic stuff every year.
I don't like those anymore.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael S.
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,414Gear list
Like?
In reply to MilSooper, May 12, 2012

Greetings!

MilSooper wrote:

If I wanted innovative I'd buy the plastic fantastic stuff every year.
I don't like those anymore.

Don't mix things up here...nobody expects the small R&D team of Leitz Camera to be the industry leader but to present an since 2009 almost untouched, just slightly modified product again in 2012 - as it's already been in 2009 not state of the art technology wise - is something complete different - and then at a far higher price then anything comparable on the market...

THAT's been my point...don't forget - I do love LEICA - still have the M9 but sold the X1 quite soon and changed it for a X100.

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
NIKON NPS Member
(check equipment via profile)

http://www.pbase.com/bountyhunter

Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,110Gear list
Like?
Wrong expectations
In reply to Michael S., May 12, 2012

Disappointments are caused by wrong expectations.

You have imagined Leica will innovate, come with something bold and new, improved, relatively more affordable (well, why not?), charming, etc.

However, all were wrong presumptions, obviously. Because Leica, obviously, thinks those values which are important to you are not important to them.

The strength of every relationship is defined by the party that cares the least. So if you cared a lot, expected a lot, and now feel disappointed, perhaps it's time to reconsider your relationship, or your idealised dream of it. Seriously.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic

"I want to be the tripod, the light meter, the motor drive."
— Eve Arnold

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,015Gear list
Like?
In reply to DRabbit, May 12, 2012

No, I am not kidding Amy. I tested x100 exactly one year ago, and results were far from impressive, Believe me, I know how no do these things.

I don't want to go into this again, as the issue had been talked about extensively before,

As to Leica fling with Panasonic, I am completely with you. It's legacy of decisions made in times of desperation
--
Irakly Shanidze
portfolio.shanidze.com/

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
Michael S.
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,414Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong expectations
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, May 12, 2012

Greetings!

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Disappointments are caused by wrong expectations.

You have imagined Leica will innovate, come with something bold and new, improved, relatively more affordable (well, why not?), charming, etc.

Actually - NO. Simple to express myself - YES I did expect (as many others you can read) MORE but not in that way you are going - NEW yes - but as written in my post I did NOT expect LEICA to be the industries leader in innovation but what they did show us - two bodies from 2009 when they already then have been "outdated" again in 2012 - THAT is the disappointment...not that it has/was not something overwhelming completly new in the industry.

Hope I could myself better clear with that repost.
--
Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
NIKON NPS Member
(check equipment via profile)

http://www.pbase.com/bountyhunter

Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,921Gear list
Like?

I doubt Leica will ever be able to compete for a larger market share, given the old-style German approach the company has kept. Leica lenses and cameras in the 60/70s were a little more expensive that the Nikon/Canon and Zeiss counterparts but still within reach of most people interested. Now a 50mm f/2 costs like 3,4,5x a similar Zeiss and much more than a similar Nikon/Canon. To be used with a camera that likey will never see a tripod, thus all that quality (if there is any) differential is likely wasted on handheld shooting.

It's just a dinosaur, fancy, of course, with a restricted audience (unlike a Ferrari, that actually offers a big differential over the typical Japanese or American sports car), I'm not sure it will survive long, maybe for the Hermes crowd, as some sort of fancy/antique flavor for the nice coffee table.

Sad.
--
Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
mcshan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,303
Like?
Re: Wrong expectations

There is a big difference between wrong expectations and reasonable expectations. It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect Leica to put a decent screen on the X2. Installing an LCD equal to what cheapo cameras have is hardly innovation.

Timmi
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?
Not at all

The M Monochrome was expected and nothing new (actually they mentioned it in the LFI a year ago or so).

As for the Cron, well I knew the Price beforehand. And it seems they will keep making the old one (as they are aware of the affordability.....)

The X2 is a bit of bummer, but we should the the Leica EVIL at Photokina (I would not expect the M10 this year).

B

-- hide signature --

iThink, therefore iMac

Timmi's gear list:Timmi's gear list
Olympus E-1 Leica M9-P Olympus E-M1
Peter Vaktor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,003
Like?
In reply to phaseout, May 12, 2012

I find absolutely no reason why a present X1 owner would want to upgrade to the X2. 16 vs 12 megapixels (with dubious resolution improvement using the same 24mm lens) is not a big deal. Maybe a slightly faster AF and a totally unnecessary Olympus rebadged EVF (at TWICE the price!) is certainly not going to do it either. But what I find even more disconcerting is that I can't even see any new buyers getting an X2 given the outstanding competition from other compact APS-C cameras at half the price.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads