HOW disappointed are you?

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
janlu
Senior MemberPosts: 6,388
Like?
Michael.....
In reply to Michael S., May 10, 2012

I have the X1 and i like it very much ... but you are right..... the X2 could be much better !!

Gianluca

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael S.
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,434Gear list
Like?
Re: HOW disappointed are you?
In reply to dhanks, May 10, 2012

Greetings!

dhanks wrote:

I honestly hope they go out of business, so other manufacturers can fill the void with better and cheaper products.

THAT's what I do NOT HOPE...I am a LEICA fan - so that's what I do fear too - with THAT products shown today the company for sure - and I won't be recognized as a financial prophet by writing this - LEICA won't make a lot of money with them - for sure NOT the success the had since the end of 2009 as with the M9 and X1...even then already both have not been state of the art technology wise and now - in 2012 they are bringing back both M9 and X1 slightly modified...what are the believing to achieve with that?

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
NIKON NPS Member
(check equipment via profile)

http://www.pbase.com/bountyhunter

Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240
Michael S.
Like?
Re: Michael.....
In reply to janlu, May 10, 2012

janlu wrote:

I have the X1 and i like it very much ... but you are right..... the X2 could be much better !!

Hehe...I DID OWN the X1 too - I am such a LEICA nerd that I bought both of them - X1 and M9 - but sold the X1 due to get the X100 - because of:

a) AF speed
b) lower noise
c) f 2.0 lens
d) viewfinder

and I did NOT regret it to the present day...so I really did hope - especially as there have been rumors about an X2 with 18MP sensor and a f1.4 50mm equivalent lens that LEICA would bring in an acceptable AF with an in-camera viewfinder and of course at least an 460.000 to 600.000 dot back LCD...

I did already know that we won't see a M10 today...as posted in earlier posts already in the last days...

;-(

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
NIKON NPS Member

zigorus
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?

not disappointed at all. they produced what i thought they might.

i'm happy with the M9 and Nokton 50/1.5, don't need another 50mm lens or a b&w only body.

the X2 looks nice, all the X1 was missing was the ability to be used with an EVF. i might buy one.

z

caimi
Contributing MemberPosts: 517
Like?

Can someone explain why you would spend $8000 on a Leica M Monochrom when you can spend $79 on Silver Efex Pro 2 and get brilliant results? I enjoyed my time with Leica M8 and with Leica MP and M6 (overpriced though they were)but I think the company has gone entirely off the rails with these new announcements. The X2 seems to be essentially the same camera as the X1 with an Olympus style EVF attached - for $2000 more than an E-P3! I don't understand Leica's market I guess.

Gary CG
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?

I am very disappointed. Leica is well known for milking their loyal customers. Why anyone would prefer a monochrone camera rather than doing B&W conversion of a colour image is beyond me. The finest B&W images aren't usually about pinpoint sharpness or fine grain, they are about emotion and composition and I'd much rather be able to apply colour filters to my B&W conversions.

Also what is it with Leica removing parts of an existing camera and then offering it as a new variation at $1000 more?

I think they've made a very big mistake here and if I had traveled there from N.America to hear that I'd be writing less than complimentary things about it in my blog.

They won't sell anywhere near enough of these mono M9s to make up for the loss of M9 sales over the last months due to people (like myself) waiting for a possible M10 announcement.

Big facepalm.

DRabbit
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,571Gear list
Like?
In reply to caimi, May 10, 2012

caimi wrote:

Can someone explain why you would spend $8000 on a Leica M Monochrom when you can spend $79 on Silver Efex Pro 2 and get brilliant results? I enjoyed my time with Leica M8 and with Leica MP and M6 (overpriced though they were)but I think the company has gone entirely off the rails with these new announcements. The X2 seems to be essentially the same camera as the X1 with an Olympus style EVF attached - for $2000 more than an E-P3! I don't understand Leica's market I guess.

I'm such a Leica fan-girl, but I agree with you. I'll still be shooting my M8 when everyone else is up to the M19. The prices just keep going up and up and up... and they are way out of my reach. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to own an M9 when the used prices drop drastically.

I owned the X1 for a short period of time... and it did take fantastic pictures, but it just wasn't worth the cost of entry. To have $2K invested in a fixed-lens camera was crazy for me financially, so I sold it. The X100 does just as well (if not a whole lot better actually).

As for the Monochrome-Only sensor... time will tell if it's worth it or not. I can't afford to play, so I'll be sticking with converting files from my "inferior" color-sensor cameras or shooting film. If I had that kind of money to just blow, I'd be inclined to buy it... but that's like if I won the gazillion-dollar lottery. LOL

Amy
--

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Google+: http://gplus.to/DangRabbit
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DangRabbit
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DangRabbitPhotography
PAD Project: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography/pad
Gallery: http://www.DangRabbit.com/photography

DRabbit's gear list:DRabbit's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M8 Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Michael S.
Like?
Re: HOW disappointed are you? X2
In reply to Photographically Speaking, May 10, 2012

Greetings!

Photographically Speaking wrote:

Dear Leica,

Maybe I missed the price, but, no thanks at any price over $1100.

Yeah - sorry but you really missed it - and it's horrible to reveal - here officially:

" The X2 has a list price of $1,995.00."

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
NIKON NPS Member

Michael S.
Like?

Greetings!

caimi wrote:

Could not have expressed it better - you 100% got it what I wanted to express myself - I really can't understand the politcs done by LEICA...

And I would call myself a LEICA nerd.

;-(
--
Michael S.
NIKON NPS Member

Michael S.
Like?
In reply to zigorus, May 10, 2012

zigorus wrote:

not disappointed at all. they produced what i thought they might.

the X2 looks nice, all the X1 was missing was the ability to be used with an EVF. i might buy one.

z

Honestly?

The same body, same layout, just little (if at all!) modified AF-module, same old LCD, same f2.8 lens - all that already not state of the art way back in 2009 - and now in 2012 your are satisfied for a list price of $1,995.00?

Puh...I am calling myself a LEICA nerd...but...

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
NIKON NPS Member

Michael S.
Like?
Re: My post @stevehuffphoto.com

Ok...as a longtime reader/follower of Steve's blog I have written the following at his blog:

"I have to overshoot a bit to make myself clear – I would go that far that todays presentation has destroyed all of the efforts LEICA made since Septemer 2009 as they announced the M9, X1 and S2.

I fully understand that the R&D team of LEICA is not the largest in the industry but to advertise for months “May 10th” as “THE essence” (of photography) with the same old camera houses, same old technology as way back in 2009 – as they already then have not been state of art – just puts shame on LEICA.

I am really in fear that this financial period (until March 2013) and the next one will be horrible, a debacle for them IF not a technical “wonder” happens at PHOTOKINA 2012 with the M10, mirrorless solution and whatever else…".

;-(

Wish you a Good Night right now. I do hope LEICA will shine again @PHOTOKINA 2012.
--
Michael S.
NIKON NPS Member

caimi
Contributing MemberPosts: 517
Like?
In reply to DRabbit, May 10, 2012

Amy,

I owned the Leica X1 for about 5 months and then came to my senses and sold it. It was a great $900 camera. It is an average $2000 camera now just as it was when it was new. I suspect the same is true of the X2.

Caimi

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: sorry Michael.....
In reply to chiane, May 10, 2012

chiane wrote:

x2

230,000 dot rear LCD! LOL. 2003 called and is thrilled. You'd think for the price they'd at least humor us with 460,000 dots for the price. FAIL.

LOL!! Hilarious!
--

http://fujifilmimages.aminus3.com/

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Gary CG
Like?

I'm almost thinking that Leica have turned themselves into a joke now. They are going to get so much bad press from this it's not going to be funny. I hope someone starts making full-frame rangefinders for all the M-lenses out there.

I'm waiting for the special, limited edition nonochrome version of the M9, an exclusive new M9 variant with the sensor, shutter, viewfinder, electronics, rear LCD screen and Leica red-dot all removed to recapture for real photographers the essence of photography in a minimalist style. All for just $8,995!

"I'll be first in line!"

Ray1684
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?

The Leica X2 announcement was a total let down. I think if they had updated the screen I would've been a bit more contempt but at 230k, it's absolutely disgraceful. I was looking forward to dropping $2k on their new X series but now I might need to look elsewhere, perhaps an M43 system (not X100, sold that after 3 months). Will still wait on reports on the X2's AF system but I doubt it will be technologically advanced either.

Gary CG
Like?
In reply to DRabbit, May 10, 2012

DRabbit wrote:

I'm such a Leica fan-girl, but I agree with you. I'll still be shooting my M8 when everyone else is up to the M19. The prices just keep going up and up and up... and they are way out of my reach. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to own an M9 when the used prices drop drastically.

I'd say that if Leica had spent more than six bucks on the R&D for these two "new" cameras there might never be an M10 let alone an M19.

Companies that abuse their customers and make such incredible PR farces are usually headed for the trash can of corporate history.

phaseout
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?

I can't for the life of me think of a single reason why anyone would buy an X2. With the economic turmoil hitting so many in different regions of the world, if you are going to put out a premium product, it better have premium features to go with the price. Big fail Leica.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Gary CG, May 10, 2012

Gary CG wrote:

I'm almost thinking that Leica have turned themselves into a joke now. They are going to get so much bad press from this it's not going to be funny. I hope someone starts making full-frame rangefinders for all the M-lenses out there.

I'm waiting for the special, limited edition nonochrome version of the M9, an exclusive new M9 variant with the sensor, shutter, viewfinder, electronics, rear LCD screen and Leica red-dot all removed to recapture for real photographers the essence of photography in a minimalist style. All for just $8,995!

"I'll be first in line!"

Just wait for the limited edition M-Monochrome camera that includes color filters!

Leica truly is flushing their credibility as a manufacturer down the toilet.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Tee1up
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?

I will probably never be in a position to afford a Leica M# but I do love reading about the technology, engineering and so forth. I can't help but think most Leica users are going to be underwhelmed by this offering.

As for the X2 and lux40, it's nice to see the rear LCDs creeping up to and preparing to overtake the Canon Powershot SX240.

photoshutter
Contributing MemberPosts: 747
Like?

long-awaited camera! Real 18mp. for large prints and use filters.
--
Still Life Photography
http://www.photoshutter.ca

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads