DSC-HX30V WiFi connectivity

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
zen sutherland
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
DSC-HX30V WiFi connectivity
May 10, 2012

When i try to "View on Smartphone" a photo, I get "Connection to target device impossible," which when clicking on the "?" associated with it, it states "Only one device can be connected at once. To connect to target device, disconnect the WiFi connection of the current connected device or change password and reregister."

And, of course when i re-register, it goes back to "Connection to target device impossible."

Has anyone used the camera yet to "share" a photo which then can be uploaded to social site?

fishman12
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Re: DSC-HX30V WiFi connectivity
In reply to zen sutherland, May 10, 2012

Go into settings on your smart phone and make sure you aren't connected to your home or another wifi. It should allow you to pick the Sony

-- hide signature --

If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him is he still wrong?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
2dividedbyzero
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to zen sutherland, May 18, 2012

I've encountered exactly the same problem that you did with the wi-fi connectivity. Did you mange to get it working?

JordanAT
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
It can be done
In reply to zen sutherland, May 18, 2012

I'm not sure about phones, but it was exceedingly easy with an iPad. The trick is that Sony took the myopic stance of having the camera be it's own router.

Do this:

Go to playback, then Menu, view on Smartphone

A screen will come up with the Camera's WiFi access point name and password

Open the wifi settings on your phone and change your wifi router to the sony (DIRECT-xxxx:DSC-HX30V) and enter the password on the camera's screen

No - you can't be connected to both your local LAN (or internet) and the camera at the same time.

After you connect to the camera's wifi router, then go back to the PlayMemoriesMobile app on your phone and you should be able to grab photos

The Camera will still say "Connection to Target Device Impossible" but it will work just fine.

Notes:

You can only connect one device to the HX30V's network at a time, so you can't put your smartphone and your tablet on it together. You can, however, logon with you tablet, log off with your tablet, then logon with your smartphone in the same wifi sharing session. BTW - if you "change the password" the camera just creates a new, hard to type in password. I wanted to change mine to 12345 (same as my luggage), but there's no option to select your own.

2dividedbyzero
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: It can be done
In reply to JordanAT, May 30, 2012

I'm still struggling with this. The app I have is called PlayMemoriesOnline and not PlayMemoriesMobile. I have to be connected to the Internet to even get into the app. Is that different to what you do?

Hooterville
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?
In reply to zen sutherland, May 31, 2012

I believe that you can only use the Wi-Fi through Sony's picture software. I forgot the name of it.

Hooterville's gear list:Hooterville's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
travel_bug
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to JordanAT, May 31, 2012

Can anyone verify the following?

That when you transfer pics/videos over the wifi from the camera to an ipad/smartphone the full resolution pictures/videos are not uploaded, but a smaller version? (That is say when you transfer to a computer a photo is 7MB, but when transferring vis wifi it is only 3MB)

Or is there an option to choose full vs small res?

thsnielsen
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to 2dividedbyzero, Jun 7, 2012

Hi - I am on a Linux, and the sony soft is only for win and mac, so I am trying to see if I can find a way to get to the files over wifi. Ideally I thought (being naive) that Sony would have added a CIFS client, to automaticly upload via wifi to a network attached storage NAS - but not so.

But here my little discoveries to give others a bit of appetite to dig further (as i do myself

When I enter in the view on smartphone, the wifi is started on the hx30v, and i can connect from my laptop.
I get IP address 10.0.1.1
the camera has itself 10.0.0.1
some ports are open
PORT STATE SERVICE
60151/tcp open unknown
64321/tcp open unknown

I also did a little tracing (very briefly) when connected to a win7 (I have one deep down in the closet for proprietary soft use like this
and it looks a bit like puts and gets what is going on.
Post your discoveries, and lets get some use of the hx30V wifi.

thsnielsen
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to thsnielsen, Jul 2, 2012

And why was it Sony did not put a CIFS client in the camera, so it could up(- off-)load to about any NAS/network attached storage in the world ??

Sandrasan
Like?
In reply to JordanAT, Nov 6, 2012

I get  as far as seeing my photos in my iPad but I can't copy them? Any ideas? Sony can't even help

me, they are talking to the engineers and calling me back?!

notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 823
Like?
In reply to Sandrasan, Nov 6, 2012

You see the pictures in the iPads PlayMemories app, click the checkbox for each picture you want, press Copy and nothing appears in your camera roll?

I only have an iPhone and that is what I do.  I would wonder if you have some setting preventing another app from using the camera roll.

johnny 99
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
In reply to zen sutherland, Dec 20, 2012

I'm trying to help a friend get this camera to work. He has the PlayMemories Mobile app for Android and a Galaxy Nexus phone and Nexus 7 tablet. We can't get either one to copy photos from the phone. We enter the WiFi password and it seems to connect, but no files are copies. Anyone get the app to work with either of these Android devices? Thanks.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 19,081Gear list
Like?
In reply to zen sutherland, Dec 20, 2012

The wifi should be quite easy to set up,
following the instructions in the user guide.
http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCHX20V_HX30_HX30V_guide/en/contents/06/04/02/02.html
Wifi on the HX30V is only intended for viewing
on the PC and uploading to smartphones and image-hosting websites,
for which a smaller (ca. 2Mb) file is created.
The full-size file is supposed to be transferred via USB.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
johnny 99
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
In reply to Marti58, Dec 20, 2012

Thank you for your response. I believe your link is only for connecting the camera to an existing WiFi network. We did find a different web page about using the Sony Android app to create a direct-mode connection between the camera and an Android smartphone. We could get this app to work on an old Android 2.3 device, but we cannot get it to work on modern Android devices (Android 4.1 or 4.2). Is there a newer Sony Android app for more current devices? Has anyone gotten it to work with a recent Android Nexus device? Thanks.

James Shelton
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to johnny 99, Dec 29, 2012

My wife and I have Galaxy Note 2's from AT&T and we have not been able to get the app to work at all...no matter what options are chosen or what order one might try to accomplish everything in. It simply doesn't work. It's quite sad, as the WiFi function seems to work rather simply with my 3rd Gen iPad and work iPhone 4S. Once again...crappy, poorly supported Sony firmware/software strikes again

-- hide signature --

J.S.

boypeter99
Like?
In reply to James Shelton, Mar 19, 2013

I just bought an HX30V and after reading this discussion I did some checking. Reading the image direct from the SD card into the computer resulted in a 4896 x 3672 image. Using wi-fi to transfer it direct to the computer gave the same size image. Using the camera connection dongle on my iPad resulted in the same image being transferred, but using the wi-fi and smartphone software to the same iPad resulted in a 1440 x 1080 image! Not happy!

As for the software design and misleading error messages (as well as incomprehensible ones) it's always the same when you give the hardware team the job of writing software. They don't have a clue about UI and US design. Sigh.

notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 823
Like?
In reply to boypeter99, Mar 19, 2013

I just bought an HX30V and after reading this discussion I did some checking. Reading the image direct from the SD card into the computer resulted in a 4896 x 3672 image. Using wi-fi to transfer it direct to the computer gave the same size image. Using the camera connection dongle on my iPad resulted in the same image being transferred, but using the wi-fi and smartphone software to the same iPad resulted in a 1440 x 1080 image! Not happy!

As for the software design and misleading error messages (as well as incomprehensible ones) it's always the same when you give the hardware team the job of writing software. They don't have a clue about UI and US design. Sigh.

At least on my iPhone, go into Settings app (for the iPad)
Select the PlayMemories Mobile
Then on Image Quality, select Original instead of the default 2M or VGA.

veloswan
Like?
In reply to Sandrasan, May 25, 2013

I'm having the same problem.  The funny thing is, it works perfectly on my wife's IPad4, with exactly the same settings.  On my new IPad4, it sees the camera, the preview picture shows on the screen, but it will NOT copy the picture to the camera roll.  Very frustrating.

Mark13rc
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sandrasan, Sep 3, 2013

Sandrasan wrote:

I get as far as seeing my photos in my iPad but I can't copy them? Any ideas? Sony can't even help

me, they are talking to the engineers and calling me back?!

did you get a solution from sony as I have the same problem that you can do everything but once you've taken of chosen the image you get can not copy error message every time. I have tried all size setting.

Mark13rc's gear list:Mark13rc's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads