Having held a K-01

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
Wallace Ross
Senior MemberPosts: 1,837
Like?
Having held a K-01
May 10, 2012

I don't usually say provocative things but having now tried a K-01 with the kit lens I think that if you haven't actually picked one up and held it you should remove yourself from the conversation about it's ergonomics. It is solid and cradles well with two hands, which is how I use my Nikon P7000 anyway. I don't need a mirrorless camera for the sake of having a mirrorless camera but it's design and handling aren't a problem.
--
http://wkoopmans.ca/notebook/

Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,115Gear list
Like?
Re: Having held a K-01
In reply to Wallace Ross, May 10, 2012

Wallace Ross wrote:

I don't usually say provocative things but having now tried a K-01 with the kit lens I think that if you haven't actually picked one up and held it you should remove yourself from the conversation about it's ergonomics.

Also about it's appearance, I'd say. Well, it's not pretty but IMO it looks better than in pictures.

It is solid and cradles well with two hands, which is how I use my Nikon P7000 anyway.

That's what I immediately found out; trying to use it with one hand and you'll end up with cramps.

Trying to use it with two hands it's very much manageable, quite easy in fact. And it's not only brick-shaped, but also brick-solid.

P.S. I don't think you are provocative; what you said is common sense.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,891
Like?
No use for old speccy gits

One consequence of advancing years (over 50's!) is that your eyesight goes at both ends of the scale. In my case this means I now use varifocal lenses in my spectacles. The design of the K-01 means either having to tilt my head back to see the screen through the close-up section at the bottom of my spectacles or moving the camera much closer and trying to peer over the top of them. Either way it is an ergonomic disaster for old gits like me. I am obviously not in their target market.

Neither I nor Pentax will lose any sleep over that though, I have plenty of other cameras which I can use easily.

-- hide signature --
JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?
Thanks!

When you hold it with two hands, the ergonomic issues go away. OTOH, DSLRs do get use with two hands as well. It is not as if it were designed to be used all that different.

The more I look at it, matte olive and matte navy should be alternate colors. These would be with the black trim and grip like the White model.
--
Variance is Evil!

chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,178
Like?
Re: Thanks!
In reply to JoeDaBassPlayer, May 10, 2012

I hold a K-r with a da 35macro, a da 15mm and a da 70mm with one hand. Can you do that comfortably with it?

Not a big fan of shooting with two hands.

JoeDaBassPlayer
Like?
In reply to chiane, May 10, 2012

Sure! I do not recomend it with either the K 01 nor a DSLR. It is actually easier with the K 01 but I still do not rocomend it.

Did you know the K2000 which is what the Kx and Kr bodies are based on, was designed so the controls can all be reached with one hand. It was also designed for women.

chiane wrote:

I hold a K-r with a da 35macro, a da 15mm and a da 70mm with one hand. Can you do that comfortably with it?

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

JacobSR
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

chiane wrote:

Maybe I'm old school but I always use both hands. The camera sits on my left hand with elbow to the body and the operation is mostly done with the right.

My opinion is holding and using the camera with one hand is wrong, you'r turning it to point and shoot.

Jacob

JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546Gear list
Like?

My small lenses are the FA35, m50 f1.7 and Zenitar 16 - all can be held with one hand. The grippy body clad material is quite adequate but not awe-inspiring at the start. Personally, I tend to shoot with two hands as that is how I learned a long time ago. I have those 50+ eyes, and the camera is not a problem if you wear normal glasses (2.00 readers in my case); acclimation comes by using it more.

My biggest complaint is with button placement. Often you are just best off holding the camera lens in your left hand and hitting the button with the right index while clawing the body between thumb and pinkie. However, both wheels are convenient, and heavily damped. It is very easy to turn on the camera as you put into the case! (Take the index finger off the switch - a habit not easily overcome.)
--
JNR
http://www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
mervis50
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?
In reply to Alex Sarbu, May 10, 2012

Alex Sarbu wrote:

That's what I immediately found out; trying to use it with one hand and you'll end up with cramps.

I've had occasion to use it with one hand when the situation required it (like leaning out over water holding a tree with my left hand). It's not so bad with a small prime.
--
My K-01 Contact Sheet: http://k-01vancouver.tumblr.com/
My K-01 Diary: http://kayohonediary.tumblr.com/
K-7 images from Mexico, Guatemala & Belize: http://mesoamerica.tumblr.com/

Cheers from Vancouver, Canada

mervis50
Regular MemberPosts: 209
Like?
Re: No use for old speccy gits
In reply to steephill, May 10, 2012

steephill wrote:

One consequence of advancing years (over 50's!) is that your eyesight goes at both ends of the scale. In my case this means I now use varifocal lenses in my spectacles. The design of the K-01 means either having to tilt my head back to see the screen through the close-up section at the bottom of my spectacles or moving the camera much closer and trying to peer over the top of them. Either way it is an ergonomic disaster for old gits like me. I am obviously not in their target market.

Each to his own experience, I guess, but I'd have to say you're wrong there. I too am in my 50's & wear progressive (vari-focal) lenses. This is exactly why I like the K-01. I'm not sure exactly what's going on with you - have you used the K-01?

My experience is completely different. No "ergonomic disaster" at all.

-- hide signature --

My K-01 Contact Sheet: http://k-01vancouver.tumblr.com/
My K-01 Diary: http://kayohonediary.tumblr.com/
K-7 images from Mexico, Guatemala & Belize: http://mesoamerica.tumblr.com/

Cheers from Vancouver, Canada

JoeDaBassPlayer
Like?
In reply to JNR, May 10, 2012

My main lenses on the K2000 were the Zenitar 16, FA35/2 and F50/1.7.

On the K 01, I use the Z16, A28 and XS40. The FA35 is a little sharper all the way to edge at 2.8 compared to the 40, with slightly richer color and contrast.
--
Variance is Evil!

DougOB
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?

I have held one. I don't mind the overall design. It is solid and I don't mind the brick shape for holding. But as I feared my finger could not reach the green button so I put it back. The buttons evenly spaced to look very neat, they are just not in the right place (for me).

Doug

Wallace Ross wrote:

I don't usually say provocative things but having now tried a K-01 with the kit lens I think that if you haven't actually picked one up and held it you should remove yourself from the conversation about it's ergonomics. It is solid and cradles well with two hands, which is how I use my Nikon P7000 anyway. I don't need a mirrorless camera for the sake of having a mirrorless camera but it's design and handling aren't a problem.

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +14 more
drummercam
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?
In reply to JNR, May 10, 2012

K-01 is very easy to turn on the camera as you put into the case! -- Agreed, could have been better, but auto shutoff will save your battery nonetheless.

Green button should have been at 12 o'clock off the e-dial, + - EV button should have been at 1 o'clock. That would have made for very fast operation (toggle between green reset, Tv and Av adjust) in manual mode. This design advice would have been worth $10K had it come from Newsom. Pentax can send me a check when they fix this on K-01n.

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 11,973Gear list
Like?
Wallace...
In reply to DougOB, May 10, 2012

Good points, i love mine!

Sure someone needs to hold it to appreciate the feeling of the thing, solid built and easier to handhold than the smaller MLC and as a bonus you have SR!

When you add focus peaking and very good high ISO performance you get a great camera.

As for the green button... i nearly never use it, my K-01 is set to manual focus and manual exposure all the time, no need for the green button for the exposure so i programmed it for DOF but even then i don't use it that much.

I programmed the red button for the focus peaking which i turn off sometimes to help compose and then turn it ON to focus accurately.
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/
http://www.limagier-photo.com/
http://www.firstlight.com/galleries.php
http://steevemarcoux2.wordpress.com/

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,038Gear list
Like?
In reply to JacobSR, May 10, 2012

JacobSR wrote:

My opinion is holding and using the camera with one hand is wrong, you'r turning it to point and shoot.... Maybe I'm old school but I always use both hands

Hmmm...

Using two hands will lift you out of the P&S bracket, but it still marks you out as a mere amateur.

Maybe I'm straight out of the back page of Amateur Photographer, but I never trip the shutter unless the camera is securely mounted on a tripod, on a concrete base, with a 30 lb rucksack hanging from the stabilising hook...
--
Mike
http://flickr.com/rc-soar

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,038Gear list
Like?
In reply to JoeDaBassPlayer, May 10, 2012

JoeDaBassPlayer wrote:

When you hold it with two hands, the ergonomic issues go away.

And when you hold a K-5 with one hand, there are no ergonomic issues... !

Admittedly I haven't actually held a K-01 yet (look forward to doing so), but it looks like something to be ogled at rather than hugged.
--
Mike
http://flickr.com/rc-soar

rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,226Gear list
Like?
In reply to DougOB, May 10, 2012

That is perhaps because you, just as I first did, instinctively tried to reach it with the index finger... while it actually works much better with the thumb of all fingers !

DougOB wrote:

I have held one. I don't mind the overall design. It is solid and I don't mind the brick shape for holding. But as I feared my finger could not reach the green button so I put it back. The buttons evenly spaced to look very neat, they are just not in the right place (for me).

Doug

Wallace Ross wrote:

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Gary Martin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,918Gear list
Like?
In reply to chiane, May 11, 2012

I have a K-r and all 3 of those lenses, but I just can't keep the horizon straight or compose properly with one hand, so 2-handed, take-a-deep-breath shooting for me.

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,178
Like?
In reply to JacobSR, May 11, 2012

JacobSR wrote:

chiane wrote:

Maybe I'm old school but I always use both hands. The camera sits on my left hand with elbow to the body and the operation is mostly done with the right.

My opinion is holding and using the camera with one hand is wrong, you'r turning it to point and shoot.

Jacob

All the dials are configured to operate with the right hand, including the grip, so what operation are you doing with the other hand.

If I can shoot the same picture with one hand or two, I don't think it's evil to have that operation be as simple as a point and shoot. It doesn't help to act like I am powering up the space shuttle to take a shot. I know this forum doesn't want anything to change from 1960, but if you can take a good picture, I don't think you can do it wrong.

Don Kiyoti
Regular MemberPosts: 433
Like?
In reply to chiane, May 11, 2012

What you are doing with your left hand is steadying the camera. Believe it or not, one simply cannot hold a camera as steadily with one hand as with two. Not a big deal with good light and fast shutter, but for low shutter speeds it's just bad technique.

I find DPreviews insistence on judging the comfort of a camera by holding it in one hand to be very silly. The photos they show of this are ridiculous, especially with anything larger than a compact.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donkiyoti/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads