Battery Grip Advice, Please

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
HerbertA
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Battery Grip Advice, Please
May 10, 2012

I am going to buy a Canon 60D with Canon 15-85mm lens.

I frequently photograph flowers in vertical position, and read that a battery grip helps to use a camera in this position. I found the Canon BG-E9 Battery Grip for the Canon EOS 60D on the internet, and would like to hear from those of you who have experience using it. Here are some questions, too:

1. Much of my shooting is done with a tripod. Does the battery grip remain on the camera when it is affixed to the tripod?

2. Should I buy a wrist strap or use the shoulder strap that comes with the Canon 60D? Which is best for use with battery grip?

Many thanks for your advice.

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,997
Like?
Re: Battery Grip Advice, Please
In reply to HerbertA, May 10, 2012

I use a battry grip on a T1, and before that on an XT..

The grip stays on the camera all the time.

Since it is on the camera all the time, I continue to use the regular neck strap.

And in my case, I also leave the quick release plate from my tripod attached to the camera almost all the time.

I met a man the other day who did not understand that the battery grip had all the focus cuntrol, shutter release etc buttons as the regular camera. As soon as he learned this, he decided to go buy a grip for the T2i he had bought for his daughter a few weeks ago.

BAK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
canuck dave
Senior MemberPosts: 2,645
Like?

There are an awful lot of folks who buy a 'battery grip' who don't really need one!

A much simpler and less expensive grip like the Hakuba (B&H or Adorama for $15.) is much lighter and less bulky.

The battery in your camera will last a very long time between recharging; the battery weighs about 25g and a spare is all you ever need. I've had the Hakuba grip on my T2i for 3 years, use it always, tripod or not, with my 15-85mm, 70-200L as well as my 400L lenses.
It is so light and comfortable, and I would suggest, is all you need!

Biggus
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?

I have a Mieke grip on my 60D, which is on there 24/7. It cost about £35 from Amazon UK together with 2x aftermarket batteries. I also have the neck strap and a wrist strap attached, and all the above work great

Biggus's gear list:Biggus's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH100 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +3 more
OctaneZ
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
In reply to Biggus, May 10, 2012

I too have a Meike MK-60D on my Canon 60D and I love it. It cost me about $35 from Amazon.

I find it works well, makes vertical exposures easier which I think is what you are looking for. Also you can run the battery grip with only one battery in the grip to save weight if that is a concern, or if you only have one battery to start with.

I have not used an actual BG-E9 grip so I can't compare, but as those run $160 I am very happy with the build quality of the Meike model especially at a quarter of the price.

OctaneZ's gear list:OctaneZ's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +8 more
ESfishdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
In reply to OctaneZ, May 10, 2012

I've got Vello grips on a 7D and a 5DMkII and wouldn't want to shoot without them. I like the way they feel. I don't need the extra battery but it is nice to have. I don't mind the increased size or weight.

I'm sure the Canon grip is at least slightly better... but... for the money.. the Vello product suits me.

Richard

-- hide signature --
slade riley
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
In reply to OctaneZ, May 11, 2012

Another +1 for the Mieke Grip. Paid $32 for it and it feels soooo nice. Just got my 60d and grip yesterday and am loving the camera and grip so far. You are in for quite a treat if you get both. I came from a 400d with a grip and now they feel so dinky. Only down side for me was that one of the spare aftermarket batteries I bought was DOA so I am dealing with the reseller on that at the moment, but I still have 3 so I am fine for the moment. Nice grip though. Highly suggest.

Slade

KentG
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
In reply to slade riley, May 11, 2012

The used 60D I bought had a Mieke on it. I put vertical grips on every camera I use because I need them. Having the grip was a big consideration in buying that one. Normally I only buy OEM ones but since this one has worked so well I have not bothered to replace it with a Canon one to this point.
Kent Gittings

bdkr65
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
In reply to HerbertA, May 11, 2012

HerbertA wrote:

I am going to buy a Canon 60D with Canon 15-85mm lens.

I frequently photograph flowers in vertical position, and read that a battery grip helps to use a camera in this position. I found the Canon BG-E9 Battery Grip for the Canon EOS 60D on the internet, and would like to hear from those of you who have experience using it. Here are some questions, too:

1. Much of my shooting is done with a tripod. Does the battery grip remain on the camera when it is affixed to the tripod? -- It can, however if you are using a longer (and heavier) lens the battery grip-camera body joint can allow 'flex' if not tight and make solid positioning somewhat troublesome. Especially if you are planning on elevater tripod shots (moon shots, etc) you may want to remove the grip and place the QD plate into your body for tighter 'connection'

2. Should I buy a wrist strap or use the shoulder strap that comes with the Canon 60D? Which is best for use with battery grip?-- a writs strap is okay if you are confident in its integrity, or you have extremely small hands. I used one for six months, and then went back to the neck strap for security reasons, because if your hand slips out of the strap, there is nothing to keep your body/lens from hitting whatever it is you are standing above. /

Many thanks for your advice.

-- hide signature --

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a differrent result. Taking the same shot, w/the same exposure and expecting greatness- Hasn't happened for ME, yet... How about you?

bdkr65's gear list:bdkr65's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934Gear list
Like?
Re: Battery GriI've been looking at grips for a long while, but not sp Advice, Please

I've been looking at grips for a long while, but not sure I really want more bulk. Oddly I'm a big guy, and have big hands, and like little cameras. Maybe because my fingers can do the reach in pretty much any direction. So, not yet sold - and I sure have never needed more battery life, but that could change with the 60D.

Anyway, 2 that I've heard and seen good things about are the Meike (Neewer) and Vello. Some folks rave about the Vello, it supposedly matches very well. It's also among the most expensive of the 3rd party grips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ucYuxx6YE

Meike review: http://www.lightandmatter.org/2011/equipment-reviews/meike-neewer-bg-e9-battery-grip-for-the-canon-60d-cheap-but-good/

My biggest problem is (being a perfectionist) if the grip material wasn't a dead match for the 60D it would drive me crazy. Unfortunately all my local shops don't carry these for me to eyeball. I can see from the photos of the Meike that it doesn't quite match, but these things can change in person.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
slade riley
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Battery GriI've been looking at grips for a long while, but not sp Advice, Please
In reply to victorian squid, May 11, 2012

victorian squid wrote:

My biggest problem is (being a perfectionist) if the grip material wasn't a dead match for the 60D it would drive me crazy. Unfortunately all my local shops don't carry these for me to eyeball. I can see from the photos of the Meike that it doesn't quite match, but these things can change in person.

I must say that the Meike grip does not have the same rubber grip material as the 60d. Personally, I like the material on the Meike grip better. Just feels softer to me. All in all I like the Meike Grip, however, I am only on day #2 with it, so this may change.

Silverwind
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300
Like?
In reply to slade riley, May 11, 2012

I have a Phottix grip for my 7D and a Zeikos for the T3i. Love em both!! Recommend both!

Silvex
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Re: Get a Grip

You won't regret it. The other upside it using recharchable AA's for your camera and your flash.

SteveJL
Contributing MemberPosts: 882
Like?

I personally felt better getting the Canon grip for my 7D mostly just because it made the most sense to match the brand. Yes, it cost more than a knock-off, but I feel better for it. Just sayin'....

HerbertA
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
In reply to SteveJL, May 11, 2012

I just want to say thanks to everyone who responded to my posting. It was very informative to read about your experiences, and I value your suggestions. I ordered the camera and the lens today, and am deferring any decision on the grip until I actually hold the stuff in my hand.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads