4/3 lens image quality outclasses m43

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,070Gear list
Like?
Another flaw is something off in exposure
In reply to Joesiv, May 10, 2012

All the M.Zuiko lenses are exposed a certain way, and all the Pana lenses are exposed a certain way. The Pana exposures being more favorable to IQ. The Zuiko 50mm f2 is exposed the best actually.

So this either says that the Pana series were shot closely together in time at a different time compared to the M. Zuiko series. Or it says that for a given camera, the Pana series exposes/meters slightly different compared to the M. Zuiko series.

Or it says that Pana lenses are substantially different from M. Zuiko lenses, regardless of optical design (being a standard zoom, telephoto, or super zoom).

IMO it is the last claim that is the most far-fetched to think that all M. Zuiko lenses will overexpose compared to the Pana lenses and also is a clear indication of flawed assumptions from imperfect testing. I find it hard to believe that for different lenses of completely different optical formulas, some being portrait primes, to super zoom, to standard zoom, to telephoto...they all exhibit a certain quality that would make them look overexposed in comparison...the simpler and most likely reason is in this test scenario they are overexposed due to improper test conditions.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,244
Like?
On the EM5, the two were about equally matched
In reply to oilman010101, May 10, 2012

I ran some static shots with 50M vs 45 1.8, don't have them uploaded anywhere, but they seemed roughly equivalent even with pixel peeping, shooting at a flowering bush about 20 feet away. Big difference is - the 45 1.8 doesn't have the 50M's grumpy AF. Quick little fellow - zap, and it's done.

Actually, I've been using my old non swd 50-200 a lot on the EM5. Handles well with the grip on, AF really isn't that bad, and the 50-200 turns in it's always sharp results, regardless of what ambient light is. 4/3 PL25 works great, ZD 7-14 works great, even my old 14-54 showed me where the 12-50 was going soft, at around 40mm.

And I learned a trick today with the 50-200. Doing a normal AF cycle takes about two seconds, maybe a bit less, if you just trigger an AF cycle with the shutter button. If, however, you MF to backfocus slightly behind your intended target, it snaps into focus in about 1 second.

The EM5 ZD AF cycle is quite different from the Pens, they've been working on it. It does a quick double focus, front then back, then a slow grind to get final lock. If you start slightly backfocused, it seems to catch on that first quick front focus cycle, with a minimal fine tune grind. I'll have to play with this some more, but this might be just the trick for BIF.

Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,343Gear list
Like?
Re: It's the noise rubbish.
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 10, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Maybe we'll get an E7, and then the lenses can live again. I'd love such a camera...

Except the size/weight... else you'd have a D800 right now

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
krishtr
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
+1!

Best post I have read today! I have to agree with everything you said.

-- hide signature --

Krishnan
Olympus EM-5, 45/1.8, 20/1.7, 11-22, 50mm
For sale: EP2, VF2, 14-42, E510, 14-42, 40-150
Considering PL 25/1.4, m9-18

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: It's the noise rubbish.
In reply to Joesiv, May 10, 2012

Not so. E3, 7-14, 12-60. 50-200, 50 macro and TC1.4 was a very portable system.

Nikon FF and 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and 105 macro, er, was not.

Yes, the Nikkors were faster, and yes you could get smaller, slower lenses. But the smaller, slower lenses are not only smaller and slower they are, erm, just not very good.

So stick an OM-D sensor in that E3 up the top, and that's a system I'd thoroughly enjoy for when only the best will do.

Joesiv wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Maybe we'll get an E7, and then the lenses can live again. I'd love such a camera...

Except the size/weight... else you'd have a D800 right now

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

msusic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,576
Like?
Re: 4/3 lens image quality outclasses m43
In reply to oilman010101, May 10, 2012

No question 43rds ZD lenses are amazing optically and that they're very hard to beat.

However, in the process of taking a photograph there are several factors at play and rarely you will get the best results possible.

More often than not you want reliable and fast AF, metering and portability as it's very hard to carry all the lenses you want.

m43 is a great system as is 43rds, they've got different strengths.

Personally, I'm absolutely thrilled with my new M5 and I don't want to bother with DSLRs any more.

Even m43 with good lenses can provide high quality large prints, so why do you need anything more...
--
Cheers,
Marin

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,469Gear list
Like?
Re: +2 . . . . nt
-- hide signature --

I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,027
Like?
Re: 4/3 lens are for traitors
In reply to oilman010101, May 11, 2012

who drank the Koolaid and bought a DSLR. Only fools would ever buy a DSLR, they deserve to have an orphaned system...stuck with lenses that they can no longer take full advantage of. It is Olympus' way of punishing traitors.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads