My D4 broke in the rain

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
NClens
Regular MemberPosts: 216
Like?
My D4 broke in the rain
May 10, 2012

I was carting my son around in the rain and put my camera underneath the stroller (unfortunately I left it on). After a 15 minute walk, it was clear that rain collected into a small puddle at the bottom of the stroller, and the camera looked wet when I took it out. None of the LCDs were operational, the camera wouldn't take pictures, and the back lighting for the buttons was on!

Water seeped into the battery door, because it dripped out from that compartment when I removed the battery. My attached 24-70 had zero water and there was zero water that I could see in the main part of the body when I took off the lens.

Granted, the camera isn't supposed to be water proof and most of it held up well, but Nikon should have sealed the battery door better. Morale of the story is don't let a D4 sit in any kind of puddle, even a small one.

I'm now waiting for a repair estimate from Nikon, which I assume won't be cheap

gonzalu
Forum ProPosts: 10,313Gear list
Like?
Ouch!! Sorry to hear... they don't make good strollers
In reply to NClens, May 10, 2012

any more

Seriously though, I would expect the battery compartment to be not that well sealed as in previous bodies, but in the least, that compartment then should be sealed from the rest of the camera!

Good luck with estimate... hopefully they consider it a complete loss and your insurance could cover a new one. I would never trust that camera again !
--
Manny
http://www.pbase.com/gonzalu/
http://www.thrustimages.com/
FCAS Member - http://fcasmembers.com/

gonzalu's gear list:gonzalu's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mat Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Re: My D4 broke in the rain

DID YOU TRY LEAVING OUT IN THE SUN TO DRY FIRST? That's always fixed my wet electronics.... Im sorry to hear that man.

Georgino
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mat Miller, May 10, 2012

That is bummer. So sorry to hear that and thanks for letting us know.
I used my D3 many times in the rain and never had any problems.
But true is that water did not get into battery compartment
Good luck and hope that the fix will not cost you arms and legs

-- hide signature --
 Georgino's gear list:Georgino's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
jack oconnor
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?

That method worked twice for my soaked cell phones and once for a bluetooth ear piece which went thru the cloths washer. They all came back to life and worked well .
It costs you nothing but a little time ,and may well solve your problem.
--
Jack

unfrozencaveman
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to jack oconnor, May 10, 2012

I just went through something similar with an electronic device and reading up on possible solutions I can across suggestions to additionally use either packs of silica gel or rice to help absorb any moisture - it might do to put either of these in the battery compartment - provided it can't find it's way inside the camera. Good luck.

NClens
Like?

Thanks, I would have tried that but the weather forecast called for overcast skies and I thought it would be better just to send back to Nikon versus wait a couple of days for the sun to peek out.

Aside from the battery compartment, everywhere else in the camera looked completely dry. Importantly, the main portion of the camera with the mechanicals and focusing mechanism looked dry. So, hopefully, the camera isn't a total loss.

NClens
Like?
Re: Ouch!! Sorry to hear... they don't make good strollers
In reply to gonzalu, May 10, 2012

Everywhere else in the camera looked dry, so the battery compartment may be sealed from the rest of the body. I guess I'll see what Nikon says when they contact me regarding the repairs.

NClens
Like?
In reply to unfrozencaveman, May 10, 2012

Yup, I stuffed silica gel into the battery compartment. Unfortunately, that didn't work.

ollehto
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?

I hope it won't cost you too much. Those bodies are weatherproof just not suitable for swimming or leaving them in a puddle of water.

nick kessler
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?
did you say stroller?

Just curious if you shoot any paid work or not?

also curious how deep this puddle was?

-- hide signature --

Nick

nick kessler's gear list:nick kessler's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
chipmaster
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?

You sure the issue is shorted/dead battery and the camera isn't fine?

If water is only in the battery area and bad things happened I would think that shorted battery is the most likely thing.

Second would be damaged terminals

Third and most worrisome if mositure got into the other areas of the body with lots of electronics.

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
AlexMegremis
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
My advice...

Take it in for repairs ASAP.

Your two enemies are (1) shorted electronics from the presence of water, and (2) corrosion forming on those same affected parts. This can happen very quickly.

Unfortunately if this is water damage, the camera will always be suspect in the eyes of your insurer, so I suggest you push for a write off. No policy covers corrosion, but they will cover storm damage, which is what I'd push this as.

Best of luck to you.

NClens
Like?
Re: did you say stroller?
In reply to nick kessler, May 10, 2012

Strollers usually have baskets underneath them. I put my camera in the basket and rain water collected in it. Puddle means a thin pool of water well below 1 inch, although I imagine it sloshed around as I was moving.

No, the stroller wasn't part of any job. I had the camera nearby and decided to take it with me to take some pictures of my son's swimming lesson.

Event_shooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?

Thanks for that, I was just about to shove my D4 underwater in the rain. Hmmm I thought for sure the camera would be OK if I soaked it underwater in the rain.

Thanks for the warning.

Jim Dougherty
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?

Same here. I dropped my G2 into a creek and the LCD went haywire. So I opened up all doors and left it in the sun. It was fine in 36 hours.
No sun? Try the oven with the light on.

Chaz f64
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
In reply to gonzalu, May 10, 2012

Wow - I hope insurance will certainly NOT cover a loss due to negligence. It will make premiums rise for the rest of their more careful customers.

Expensive lesson - treat expensive equipment with a normal level of care.

Chaz f64
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
Re: My advice...
In reply to AlexMegremis, May 10, 2012

Storm damage!?

Gross negligence is more likely. Sorry - we will not cover loss.

I'm surprised at how easily posters want to have someone else pay for their own carelessness (some might say stupidity.)

Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
In reply to Event_shooter, May 10, 2012

Event_shooter wrote:

Thanks for that, I was just about to shove my D4 underwater in the rain. Hmmm I thought for sure the camera would be OK if I soaked it underwater in the rain.

Thanks for the warning.

While I am sympathetic to any photographer damaging his camera, a minimum degree of care needs to exercised. $6000 thrown naked under a stroller in the rain? I don't know how I could begin to explain that to myself let alone my wife, but $6000 to me may be like $60 to someone else.

NClens wrote:

My D700 has survived drops onto concrete. ... The D4 has better weather sealing and just holding mine, I can tell it's much more sturdy.

This is why I never buy used...

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
brokensocialscenester
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
In reply to Patrick McMahon, May 10, 2012

Ouch! Good luck with that one. Let us know how it turns out.
--
dekalb wedding photography
chicago wedding photographer
http://www.mikeandfrida.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads