New Canon Micro 4/3 on the horizon?

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
Steve Zeiger
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
New Canon Micro 4/3 on the horizon?
May 10, 2012

Sorry if this has already been posted here...I'm sure many will tell me if it has, LOL.

http://www.43rumors.com/big-rumors-from-competition-canon-mirrorless-windeed-with-four-thirds-sized-sensor/

Steve

Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,855Gear list
Like?
Re: New Canon Micro 4/3 on the horizon?
In reply to Steve Zeiger, May 10, 2012

that would be great news for all of us, that means even more lenses to choose from !!
--
http://www.photoexpedition.net
http://www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +40 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Travis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,170Gear list
Like?

Steve Zeiger wrote:

Sorry if this has already been posted here...I'm sure many will tell me if it has, LOL.

http://www.43rumors.com/big-rumors-from-competition-canon-mirrorless-windeed-with-four-thirds-sized-sensor/

Steve

They may release a mirrorless camera with a sensor the size of MFT, but there's no way in "the eternal hot place" they are going to release a camera with a MFT mount.

That said, even if they DO release a mirrorless camera with a smaller sensor, what lenses will they use? Who wants to use FF or APS-C sized lenses on a smaller body - what's the point? If they introduce a new mount with smaller lenses, then they are basically behind everybody else like Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Samsung, etc.

What is their strategy? Hmmm....

Travis
--
http://travisimo.smugmug.com/

Travis's gear list:Travis's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
tinpusher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?
In reply to Travis, May 10, 2012

It may be the sensor used in the G1X and that's quite nice!

Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
Good news for Micro Four Thirds

The Canon sensor size is similar.

The APS sensors sizes were all similar too (but not the same) which allowed companies like Tamron and Sigma to make lenses that worked on the different mounts.

My bet is we will see smaller/ligher 4:3 lenses made for both systems, but not for the larger APS mirrorless cameras which need larger/heavier lenses.

whoodle
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?

First off, I'd love it if Canon actually joined the MFT 'consortium', but I dunno if it'd be in their interest to do so...or Canon/Oly's to LET them do so.

But the other thing is that Canon, somewhat strangely, can't make their cameras/lenses too good, or they'll end up cannibalizing their DSLR products, which they have so much profit, tooling & experience wrapped up in.

They'll have to be like Nikon & release a 'dumbed-down' system that will have to 'max-out' at a certain point when they hope/expect that owner will move 'up' to a DSLR.

OR...maybe they'll have the ballz to go the other way....they see how Nikons V has failed, how Sony doesn't seem to be 'all in' w/the NEX cameras (as seen from the glacier-like pace of lens releases). So they might choose to come out of the box with, say, a dozen lenses...many of them fast...and several bodies, including one or more enthusiast/pro level ones.

Of all the companies, they have the resources to pull that off (they're a much larger company than Nikon....MUCH larger!!!). I for one would like to see that. I'll stick w/my OMD for a long while, but who knows...I was raised in a Canon F-1 family, so I could see myself being swayed to come 'home'.

But I ain't gonna cancel my OMD for some July announcment of something that won't probby be available until fall & won't 'mature' for a few years.

brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?

Agreed. I read somewhere that it will be have its own mount, but be able to take EF lenses as well (I assume through an adapter).

Travis wrote:

Steve Zeiger wrote:

Steve

They may release a mirrorless camera with a sensor the size of MFT, but there's no way in "the eternal hot place" they are going to release a camera with a MFT mount.

That said, even if they DO release a mirrorless camera with a smaller sensor, what lenses will they use? Who wants to use FF or APS-C sized lenses on a smaller body - what's the point? If they introduce a new mount with smaller lenses, then they are basically behind everybody else like Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Samsung, etc.

Travis
--

azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092Gear list
Like?
In reply to tinpusher, May 10, 2012

Rumors are, and likely true if they do produce a small sensor ICL camera, that it will be the same sensor as the Canon GX-1. Why wouldn't they anyway?

Yeah, no chance of it being micro 4/3rds, but a 4:3 ratio sensor like the GX-1 which is just a hair larger than 4/3 and m4/3 sensors actually are.

A little sad in a way, it would be cool if Canon jumped on the micro 4/3rds consortium band wagon. Unless I am missing something both Olympus and Panasonic are doing pretty well sharing the same lens mount and sensor size specifications. Call me a heritic, but in some ways it would be nice if ALL camera manufacturers could just agree on a single lens mount and sensor format for each "interval". same lens mount, register distance, electrical contacts and lens communication + sensor size/format for m4/3 and 4/3, agree on the same stuff for APS-c and the same for full frame.

Then it is up to you which camera you want to get and you can access ALL manufacturers lenses in that size range for their desired camera. I think it might even make more money for most manufacturers instead of having someone buy in to a system and have to sell everything off if they decide they covet one lens from another system, or one camera, or what have you. You its a lot of money spent to buy in...but I think you have lots of people who won't make the switch because they are locked in and then staggnate in the system without buying new gear.

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Triggr Happy
Regular MemberPosts: 321
Like?
Clueless post title

based on stupid rumor. and why is that 4/3 rumor at all?
what does Canon's coincidental sensor size have to do with m4/3?

Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
+1 Important point...
In reply to whoodle, May 10, 2012

whoodle wrote:

But the other thing is that Canon, somewhat strangely, can't make their cameras/lenses too good, or they'll end up cannibalizing their DSLR products, which they have so much profit, tooling & experience wrapped up in.

They'll have to be like Nikon & release a 'dumbed-down' system that will have to 'max-out' at a certain point when they hope/expect that owner will move 'up' to a DSLR.

You hit the nail on the head here. These guys are scared to mess with their cash-cows.

whoodle
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Chill..
In reply to Triggr Happy, May 10, 2012

It doesn't matter what the header says, 'real' news that Canon's coming out w/a mirrorless system is HUGE news for this forum (thought it's a rumor site, this isn't a rumor anymore, they've announced dates for the real announcement).

Besides, their sensor is the same size, more or less, as MFT, and how do you KNOW that they are not in fact joining the MFT consortium?

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?

If true, the cameras look like the old Canon rangefinder

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Diane B
Forum ProPosts: 20,475
Like?

I agree. Longtime Canonite here and I can't ever see them going outside their own mounts, manufacturing, etc. Loved your euphemism BTW LOL.

It took ages for them to come out with their first dedicated lenses for APS-c and it might be the same if/when they do mirrorless. OR they could have a few when they introduce a body. Regardless, they will be behind. I've already tried my EF lenses on my m4/3 and they are big, heavy and not a good choice for a smaller body IMO. I can't ever see me going with Canon for my mirrorless system at this point.

Diane

Travis wrote:

Steve Zeiger wrote:

Steve

Travis
--

Triggr Happy
Regular MemberPosts: 321
Like?
Re: Chill..
In reply to whoodle, May 10, 2012

Sure they are. When pigs fly! LOL

whoodle wrote:

, and how do you KNOW that they are not in fact joining the MFT consortium?

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: This can be just to tease and

Can be just to tease and to put some potential Micro 4/3 buyers in wait for this

And be a lie

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Ron Outdoors
Contributing MemberPosts: 565
Like?

Travis wrote:

Steve Zeiger wrote:

I'm sure it will be their own mount, with a new line of lenses. Some of the aps lenses are smaller. The 55-250 is about the same as the Panasonic 45-200. And the 60 Macro is compact.

They were behind Minolta and Nikon when they came out with their EOS auto focus film camera system, and have done well with it since then. Canon has the technology and the resources to develop a competitive mirror-less system, if they decide to go that way.

Steve

Travis
--

-- hide signature --
Travis
Like?
In reply to brudy, May 10, 2012

brudy wrote:

Agreed. I read somewhere that it will be have its own mount, but be able to take EF lenses as well (I assume through an adapter).

Yeah, they would be foolish NOT to have an EF adaptor of some sort. And for some, this will be a great thing because they can continue to use all of their existing lenses. However, they will soon realize that the lenses are just too big and heavy and basically overkill for the nice, new, compact mirrorless camera they just bought...

Travis
--

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
Travis
Like?
In reply to Diane B, May 10, 2012

Diane B wrote:

I agree. Longtime Canonite here and I can't ever see them going outside their own mounts, manufacturing, etc. Loved your euphemism BTW LOL.

Haha, thanks!

It took ages for them to come out with their first dedicated lenses for APS-c and it might be the same if/when they do mirrorless. OR they could have a few when they introduce a body. Regardless, they will be behind. I've already tried my EF lenses on my m4/3 and they are big, heavy and not a good choice for a smaller body IMO. I can't ever see me going with Canon for my mirrorless system at this point.

kr.com/photos/38647240@N00/

Yep, it's one thing to put FF lenses on an APS-C camera, which I have done on Canon for years. For example, the Canon 35mm F1.4L lens that I just sold was my favorite lens on my Canon APS-C cameras for years. But it's really a FF lens and it's a bit overkill for APS-C. But it's quite another thing to stick a FF lens on a MFT-sized camera! And even the EF-S specific lenses are not going to be ideal for such a camera.

So Canon will certainly have to introduce a new line of lenses... so I'm not so such backwards compatibility is going to be such an advantage to them as they'd like.

Travis
--

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,843Gear list
Like?

Steve Zeiger wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure its mFT
more likely it is just because of mFT

they've watched Nikon 1 prices drop and figured the best, the most certain place for them to be is the same size as mFT

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Rriley, May 10, 2012

Rriley wrote:

Steve Zeiger wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure its mFT
more likely it is just because of mFT

they've watched Nikon 1 prices drop and figured the best, the most certain place for them to be is the same size as mFT

-- hide signature --

Riley

Maybe, but I only believe on this when I see the launch from Canon

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads