HS20EXR book/manual

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
FlorinSafner
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
HS20EXR book/manual
May 10, 2012

Hi. Just got this baby 2 days ago. Comes only with the basic user manual, not great stuff and very short descriptions. I'd like to learn more about this outstanding features of this camera.
Does it exists some detailed, more advanced user manual for the HS20?

Prior 2 years I had a Kodak EShare 1285 since my son lost it in a party. Not a great deal.
Thank you
--
FS

Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
Re: HS20EXR book/manual
In reply to FlorinSafner, May 10, 2012

Welcome to the FTF.
To answer your question, No the online manual and the CD are all you get.
Have a look around my blog,
http://akiwiretrospective.blogspot.co.nz/

it may be of some help. There are lots of other HS20 owners here, so if you get stuck just ask and someone should be able to help.
--
Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.blogspot.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,897Gear list
Like?

FlorinSafner wrote:

Hi. Just got this baby 2 days ago. Comes only with the basic user manual, not great stuff and very short descriptions. I'd like to learn more about this outstanding features of this camera.
Does it exists some detailed, more advanced user manual for the HS20?

Prior 2 years I had a Kodak EShare 1285 since my son lost it in a party. Not a great deal.

I've been working with the EXR cameras since near their beginning. I've tested or owned probably 90% of the models since 2009.

My approach is to mostly use them in one simple set of settings (and I find few reasons to change this no matter which model you are using) ... and then to play with extra settings as situations demand and once you are comfortable.

So if you are interested in that approach:

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2009/10/fuji-f70exr-how-to-shoot-it-mkii.html

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
FlorinSafner
Like?
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, May 10, 2012

Thank you
--
FS

FlorinSafner
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, May 10, 2012

Thank you very much. Great.

Please tell me how should I avoid that camera is doing an auto horizontal level? Sometimes I see 2 green lines, up and down, and it is always setting the horizontal way. I turn my camera to 45° and cannot shot this angle because it is always settin all normal, horizontally. I'd like to desactivate this and could take skyline shots of different angles, not only default horizontal.
Sorry to be so newbie, I want to learn and take the best of this device.
Thank you,
Florin
--
FS

Kim Letkeman
Like?

FlorinSafner wrote:

Thank you very much. Great.

Please tell me how should I avoid that camera is doing an auto horizontal level? Sometimes I see 2 green lines, up and down, and it is always setting the horizontal way. I turn my camera to 45° and cannot shot this angle because it is always settin all normal, horizontally. I'd like to desactivate this and could take skyline shots of different angles, not only default horizontal.
Sorry to be so newbie, I want to learn and take the best of this device.

Florin, we're all on a learning curve. Never apologize for your position on that curve, we've all been there.

As for the horizon feature, it is only a guide. As far as I know, it does not prevent you from shooting the image anyway. It might be useful to leave it enabled as it can show you when you achieve perfect level. Although a fairly strong angle (e.g. 30 degrees) can often improve the dynamic feel of the image, a very shallow angle to the horizontal always looks like an error. Unless, of course, you want to match an element like a fence that itself has a shallow angle. In which case you can again ignore the guide.

I don't have an X10, but I suspect that this is part of the "display" button that you can press to change what you see in shooting mode. Try pressing it (probably one of the buttons at the bottom of the right side of the back) repeatedly to see which display mode you like best.

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
FlorinSafner
Like?

Thank you very much my friend.

I like a lot the dynamic images, here I have some HDR simulations made with Topaz Adjust: http://www.retouchyourpics.com/images-enhancements.php
Thank you to be so kind about my learning period
I'll be a good student, promise, hahaa

I have few time now because I have a lot of retouch jobs waiting in file but I'll save a couple of hours the next Sunday and play a little more with my HS20.
Have a great day,
Florin
--
FS

Kim Letkeman
Like?

FlorinSafner wrote:

I like a lot the dynamic images, here I have some HDR simulations made with Topaz Adjust: http://www.retouchyourpics.com/images-enhancements.php

I see that you bring an artistic touch to your restorations. The skin improvements are very nicely done. You tend to go closer to plastic than many people like, but there are other high end retouchers that do that too ... it plays well in magazines and I certainly like the look.

The Topaz / HDR work is very interesting. I've dabbled some myself. I like your use of strong saturation, as I've become quite enamoured with strong colour myself for some images. It helps to be colour deficient

FlorinSafner
Like?

About the retouches, in fact I'm painting a new image over the oldveridamaged one. It's like painting on canvas but using Photoshop. Mostly for those which are so damaged and a normal retouch is not solving great thing.

Topaz is the max for me when I look to have fun and play with the images. Take your time and play with the configuration, sharpenes, details and saturation in Topaz Adjust and Topaz Detail. I love it
--
FS

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads