dumb/newbie things you thought when you were first getting into photography?

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?
dumb/newbie things you thought when you were first getting into photography?
May 10, 2012

What are some dumb thoughts you had as a person JUST getting into photography?

I remember when I was shopping for my first point and shoot, I was torn between a Canon and Panasonic P&S....I remember being so exact over every detail that, on product images online, I even counted the "color" of the lens as a pro or con. That is, the color of the actual glass (which, I of course now realize isn't a permanent characteristic but just a product-image gloss companies add to their images)

e.g. the green/blue tints here:

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1211&bih=683&tbm=isch&tbnid=0aBMjSI_VYrrmM:&imgrefurl=http://www.photographyblog.com/news/canon_digital_ixus_80_is_powershot_sd1100_is_elph&docid=GnmWJY-1I60hRM&imgurl=http://www.photographyblog.com/images/products/canon_digital_ixus_80_is_1.jpg&w=400&h=300&ei=LT6rT_uyKYeq8ATUwIwa&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=751&vpy=273&dur=447&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=164&ty=67&sig=106085184754102033291&page=1&tbnh=148&tbnw=197&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:90

jbf
jbf
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,085
Like?
Re: dumb/newbie things you thought when you were first getting into photography?
In reply to jj74e, May 10, 2012

When I switched to digital, my first camera was a Sony Mavica. It had a slot to insert a 3.5" floppy for memory. I thought that was really cool.

jj74e wrote:

I remember when I was shopping for my first point and shoot, I was torn between a Canon and Panasonic P&S....I remember being so exact over every detail that, on product images online, I even counted the "color" of the lens as a pro or con. That is, the color of the actual glass (which, I of course now realize isn't a permanent characteristic but just a product-image gloss companies add to their images)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
Re: dumb/newbie things you thought when you were first getting into photography?

Film days, art director in an ad agency, had a twin-lens-reflex East German Rollei knockoff. I believed I could accurately spot-meter anything! Right. After a few embarrassing failures, got some good free advice from an older pro -- 'Bracket, you idiot! Film's cheap!' So right, particularly compared to the cost of re-shooting a job.

His advice paid off on an ad for a large hotel chain -- about an expensive Easter brunch -- where the tablecloth was white, the silverware medium-gray, and the caviar, well, jet black. Bracket, idiot! And it worked out just fine.

Today, if I were doing this for a living, I would still bracket -- even with auto exposure and built-in highly accurate spot meters.

happysnapper62
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
In reply to jon404, May 10, 2012

I came into photography "stone cold" with no interest at all, it really was that "sudden". However, in the past, I would go into electronics stores & see the prices of cameras, lenses etc, & say "Who the would pay that much for a glorified polaroid??? What a waste of money" The answer is ME. lee uk

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
I thought I'd find it easy and quick to learn (nt)
-- hide signature --

StephenG

Virginia Bill
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
Re: I thought I'd find it easy and quick to learn (nt)
In reply to Deleted1929, May 10, 2012

I promised my wife that the first slr I bought (a Beseler Auto 100, which most of you have never heard of) would be the only camera I'd buy.

Virginia Bill's gear list:Virginia Bill's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Leica M8 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
jvkelley
Contributing MemberPosts: 795Gear list
Like?

I took pictures of EVERYTHING and thought they were super artistic. I didn't realize how silly it was until I saw a TV ad making fun of people who do that.

-- hide signature --

J.V.

jvkelley's gear list:jvkelley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S50 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +2 more
drusus
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?

Good idea for a thread!

For me, it was probably not asking myself "what do you want to photograph and why?". This led to "reflex" (pardon the pun) action: certain situations triggered in me an urge to take a picture, and I did, as my family was always encouraging of "recording the moment". Except that, having an SLR and multipe lenses, I tried to make those pictures look more the ones that professionals take.

It took me 25 years, but when i finally tried to put into words my own answer to that question, it was like a veil was lifted from my vision. (I am an amateur and the answer was "I want to photograph special moments in my life, in such a way that seeing the photos will evoke the experience of those moments"; I know, it can sound like fancy words for taking snapshots, but it works for me).

Suddenly I knew not only what gear I needed (much simpler than the set-up I used to carry around) but what sorely needed my attention, like composition, lighting, etc.

Photography has been a real joy for me since this realization.

Drusus

drusus's gear list:drusus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
LOL (nt)
In reply to Virginia Bill, May 10, 2012
-- hide signature --

StephenG

sherwoodpete
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,761
Like?

jj74e wrote:

That is, the color of the actual glass (which, I of course now realize isn't a permanent characteristic but just a product-image gloss companies add to their images)

e.g. the green/blue tints here:

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1211&bih=683&tbm=isch&tbnid=0aBMjSI_VYrrmM:&imgrefurl=http://www.photographyblog.com/news/canon_digital_ixus_80_is_powershot_sd1100_is_elph&docid=GnmWJY-1I60hRM&imgurl=http://www.photographyblog.com/images/products/canon_digital_ixus_80_is_1.jpg&w=400&h=300&ei=LT6rT_uyKYeq8ATUwIwa&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=751&vpy=273&dur=447&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=164&ty=67&sig=106085184754102033291&page=1&tbnh=148&tbnw=197&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:90

The colour of the glass is significant. But I wouldn't let it influence my purchasing decisions.

Normally, the reflection from glass is colourless - the reflections look white. But each and every surface of the individual lens elements can reflect light, and that adds up to a lot of reflected light bouncing around. It both reduces the efficiency - if the light is reflected back, it doesn't arrive at the sensor, and creates flare and loss of contrast.

To reduce this problem, the lens surfaces are coated in a highly advanced way. Ideally this would stop all the reflections completely. The coloured light you see is that which was not fully suppressed by the coating.

Regards,
Peter

Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

That shooting at f/2.8 on my digital P&S was the same as shooting at f/2.8 on my film SLR. Though I quickly learned otherwise.

That pushing---or worse, pulling---JPEGs was anywhere near a good idea. That one took me a bit longer.

That people around me acted friendly and welcoming when I did street photography because they were open to it and recognized the value of trying to make art, rather than just me being an attractive and fit 18-years-old. Amazing how much things change when you stop working out and gain some extra weight.

That this would be a cheap hobby. Yes, really. And no, I don't know what could've possibly given me that idea.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Draek

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,163
Like?
In reply to jbf, May 10, 2012

jbf wrote:

When I switched to digital, my first camera was a Sony Mavica. It had a slot to insert a 3.5" floppy for memory. I thought that was really cool.

It was, sadly Sony went downhill from then on!
Jules

jj74e wrote:

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads