Canon 7d lens error clean contacts.

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
Ironmanbud1940
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Canon 7d lens error clean contacts.
May 10, 2012

Canon 7d lens error clean contacts. How can I get the lens to work better I have the sigma 18-250 is lens. I love this lens and don't want to loose this good lens!

MI6gunny
Contributing MemberPosts: 518Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 7d lens error clean contacts.
In reply to Ironmanbud1940, May 10, 2012

I've seen some guys chime in saying go over the contacts with a vinyl eraser. Try it perhaps, maybe on the lens as well. If not perhaps its time to give that Sigma warranty a try
--
D. Fortune

MI6gunny's gear list:MI6gunny's gear list
Nikon D5000 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterPootieCat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,044Gear list
Like?
Any other lenses?
In reply to Ironmanbud1940, May 10, 2012

Ironmanbud1940 wrote:

Canon 7d lens error clean contacts. How can I get the lens to work better I have the sigma 18-250 is lens. I love this lens and don't want to loose this good lens!

Do you own and use other lenses without getting this error message? If so, then the problem would seem to be with the Sigma lens. I would try wiping the contacts on the lens with a microfiber cloth to see if that helps.

I seem to recall Sigma users were getting this error when the 7D was released. Have you tried to give Sigma a call?

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +19 more
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,958
Like?
In reply to Ironmanbud1940, May 11, 2012

Ironmanbud1940 wrote:

I have a similar problem with my Sigma 120-400 OS. The AF does not work, it just goes back and forth. There is some kind of very thin oily film that forms on the contact. It only happens with the Sigma, I have a few other Canon lenses and they are not affected by it, so it must be from the Sigma lens.

To make it work properly, I clean the contact on both the lens and the camera with an LCD cleaner solution that I spray on a lint-less cloth. Then it works without any problem.

Being in Canada, I have a 10 year warranty, so I will send it out for repair in July/August when I won't need it.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

Robert Sheldon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068
Like?
In reply to elfroggio, May 11, 2012

The problem is not just Sigma. I have a Canon 1.4X Mk II TC that is giving me the same error signal. Other TCs (Kenko and Tamron) work fine on the camera. The Canon TC had worked fine for several years.
--
Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at
http://www.bobsheldon.com

Ronald Woan
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ironmanbud1940, May 11, 2012

The two times I started to experience this I had to send the lens back to Sigma for service. I think they just replaced the circuit board each time.

Ronald Woan's gear list:Ronald Woan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD +1 more
Ironmanbud1940
Like?
In reply to Ronald Woan, May 18, 2012

Did they charge for the repare. I am told I have a lifetime warranty because the dealer is a arthorized dealer for sigma.

Ironmanbud1940
Like?
In reply to Ironmanbud1940, May 18, 2012

Thanks for the replies.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads