Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
R0M
R0M
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
NX200 Newbie
May 10, 2012

Greetings,

I purchased not too long ago by Samsung NX200 and i use it mainly for photography in clubs which is part of my job to snap people in there. The quality is great my only problem that sometimes in low light if the person is wearing a dark shirt it does not recognize it so the shutter stays green and i get a hang signal on the OLED, so they get frustrated and the picture is gone. Same thing if a group picture the camera shutter does not work. Note that i am using Auto-ISO or Portrait/Beauty mode (for girls). The previous digital camera Samsung ST550 has the same features but the shutter always worked. So is my camera faulty or am i missing an extra setting somewhere, please help since this is frustrating
Regards,

jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,632
Like?
Re: NX200 Newbie
In reply to R0M, May 10, 2012

R0M wrote:

Greetings,

I purchased not too long ago by Samsung NX200 and i use it mainly for photography in clubs which is part of my job to snap people in there. The quality is great my only problem that sometimes in low light if the person is wearing a dark shirt it does not recognize it so the shutter stays green

when you say the "shutter" stays green, you mean the rectangular enclosure on the screen right? that's the focus point btw, not the shutter. But yeah, for any non-DSLR camera, it's difficult to focus on solid colors because these cameras need some kind of contrast to focus effectively

and i get a hang signal on the OLED, so they get frustrated and the picture is gone.

not sure what you mean by hang signal- you mean when the box turns red?

Same thing if a group picture the camera shutter does not work.

again, do you mean the focus does not work (thereby not letting you take the photo). I'm not sure about the NX200, but in my NX10, there is a setting called Focus Priority or something. If you turn it off, you can take the photo, even if the camera can't focus (although this would result in a bad photo since it's out of focus)

Note that i am using Auto-ISO or Portrait/Beauty mode (for girls). The previous digital camera Samsung ST550 has the same features but the shutter always worked. So is my camera faulty or am i missing an extra setting somewhere, please help since this is frustrating
Regards,

Did the Samsung ST550 always work, as in you took pictures of people wearing dark clothing/solid/no contrast clothing?

I'm guessing your problem is just that the camera isn't finding contrast to focus on, therefore not letting you take the picture

You can try the focus and recompose technique- point the focus box on the screen towards something that does have contrast- e.g. their face if it's bright enough, the difference in color of their skin and clothing, then once the camera confirms focus, recompose the shot (while holding the button half pressed) and then take it when it's framed how you want

But likely, you will have to resort to manual focus- if you are using the 18-55mm lens, simply flip the switch on the lens from AF to MF. Then, use the focus ring to manually bring your subject into focus. If you are using a prime lens, you will have to change the AF to MF by pressing the AF-MF button on the direction pad/circle on the NX200 (although it might be somewhere else- that's where it is on my NX10 anyway)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
R0M
R0M
Like?
In reply to jj74e, May 10, 2012

jj74e wrote:

R0M wrote:

when you say the "shutter" stays green, you mean the rectangular enclosure on the screen right? that's the focus point btw, not the shutter. But yeah, for any non-DSLR camera, it's difficult to focus on solid colors because these cameras need some kind of contrast to focus effectively

No the shutter button, the camera will not let me take a picture if it's set to auto-focus...

and i get a hang signal on the OLED, so they get frustrated and the picture is gone.

not sure what you mean by hang signal- you mean when the box turns red?

Yes and you see a hand signal there...

Same thing if a group picture the camera shutter does not work.

again, do you mean the focus does not work (thereby not letting you take the photo). I'm not sure about the NX200, but in my NX10, there is a setting called Focus Priority or something. If you turn it off, you can take the photo, even if the camera can't focus (although this would result in a bad photo since it's out of focus)

Note that i am using Auto-ISO or Portrait/Beauty mode (for girls). The previous digital camera Samsung ST550 has the same features but the shutter always worked. So is my camera faulty or am i missing an extra setting somewhere, please help since this is frustrating
Regards,

Did the Samsung ST550 always work, as in you took pictures of people wearing dark clothing/solid/no contrast clothing?

I'm guessing your problem is just that the camera isn't finding contrast to focus on, therefore not letting you take the picture

You can try the focus and recompose technique- point the focus box on the screen towards something that does have contrast- e.g. their face if it's bright enough, the difference in color of their skin and clothing, then once the camera confirms focus, recompose the shot (while holding the button half pressed) and then take it when it's framed how you want

But likely, you will have to resort to manual focus- if you are using the 18-55mm lens, simply flip the switch on the lens from AF to MF. Then, use the focus ring to manually bring your subject into focus. If you are using a prime lens, you will have to change the AF to MF by pressing the AF-MF button on the direction pad/circle on the NX200 (although it might be somewhere else- that's where it is on my NX10 anyway)

So basically this is normal, i need to move the subject to an area where there is contrast, even though i have a flash, weird that you need a light to enable a light but i guess i will have to get used to it

Btw i am using a SEF15-A the one that came with the camera causes shadows at the bottom, and the club owners are not happy with that

Regards,

Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,409
Like?

What is your AF area set to? If you have it set to "Selection AF", try increasing the AF area to its maximum size. If that is still not sufficient, try setting it to "Multi AF". Also, do you have the AF lamp turned on?

My NX10 has similar difficulty focusing in low light. I would prefer to use "Selection AF" but when I do, it often will not focus because the beam of the AF assist lamp does not fall within the AF area. It will usually focus when I switch to "Multi AF".

nx200USER1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020
Like?
In reply to jj74e, May 10, 2012

jj74e wrote:

Thats exactly what came to mind.
Here it is directly from the nx200's lcd screen menu,

AF Priority : set the autofocus priority while using the auto focus mode when a photo is not focused.
ON : disable the shutter if it is out of focus.
OFF : enable the shutter even though it out of focus

wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?

R0M wrote:

Note that i am using Auto-ISO or Portrait/Beauty mode (for girls).

First of all I'd recommend that you stop using the SCENE mode and use A or M instead. The "portrait" scene only offers face-detection AF and you have absolutely no control over AF area.

Also check that you don't cover the green AF beam with your finger (happened to me quite often in the beginning )

Then I'd consider using a faster lens, even when using flash.

The 30mm/f2 is a really decent lens to use with the NX200 especially in low light - but on the other hand it's not perfect for portraits.

Depends on what you want to achieve. I assume you don't take close-up portraits in a club, so the short focal lenght is probably not an issue.

Do you have some example pics?

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
AndricD
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?

the Hand on the screen indicates that the camera must be held very steadily/OIS turned on if available as the long exposure meand hand shake/movement will affect the photo

AndricD's gear list:AndricD's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +3 more
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?

R0M wrote:

. . .

The previous digital camera Samsung ST550 has the same features but the shutter always worked. So is my camera faulty or am i missing an extra setting somewhere, please help since this is frustrating

No, it's very unlikely that your NX200 is faulty. You just need to configure it properly (or at least better than you currently have it set) and it should then work the same way the ST550 worked. From what others have said, your ST550 probably took pictures even if it wasn't perfectly focused.

. . .

Btw i am using a SEF15-A the one that came with the camera causes shadows at the bottom, and the club owners are not happy with that

It sounds like your lens is too long, so the lens partially blocks the flash's light. What lens are you using? This can be fixed by using a taller flash, such as the SEF42A, but it would make the camera top heavy and you may not like how it feels. The SEF20A isn't a tall flash, so to use the SEF15A or SEF20A without producing shadows on the bottom of your photos, you'd have to use a flash bracket to raise the flash several inches above the NX200, and run a flash extension cord from the NX200's hot shoe to the flash bracket's hot shoe. Even if you get the taller SEF42A, it would probably be wise to also put it on a flash bracket, because the bracket makes it a lot easier and less tiring to hold. Getting a flash extension cord that matches the pin layout of Samsung's hot shoes and flash feet would be the only tricky part but they probably exist and just have to be located. Some companies probably custom design these cords.

R0M
R0M
Like?
In reply to Coldamus, May 10, 2012

Coldamus wrote:

What is your AF area set to? If you have it set to "Selection AF", try increasing the AF area to its maximum size. If that is still not sufficient, try setting it to "Multi AF". Also, do you have the AF lamp turned on?

My NX10 has similar difficulty focusing in low light. I would prefer to use "Selection AF" but when I do, it often will not focus because the beam of the AF assist lamp does not fall within the AF area. It will usually focus when I switch to "Multi AF".

Interesting tip, i'll give that a shot...

Yes AF lamp is on which produces the green light i beleive

Regards,

R0M
R0M
Like?
In reply to AndricD, May 10, 2012

AndricD wrote:

the Hand on the screen indicates that the camera must be held very steadily/OIS turned on if available as the long exposure meand hand shake/movement will affect the photo

It is held steadily, i just realized that everything started happening after i formatted the flash since it ran out of space, did it take out some of the previous settings maybe, i am all confused...

R0M
R0M
Like?
In reply to Billx08, May 10, 2012

Billx08 wrote:

R0M wrote:

. . .

The previous digital camera Samsung ST550 has the same features but the shutter always worked. So is my camera faulty or am i missing an extra setting somewhere, please help since this is frustrating

No, it's very unlikely that your NX200 is faulty. You just need to configure it properly (or at least better than you currently have it set) and it should then work the same way the ST550 worked. From what others have said, your ST550 probably took pictures even if it wasn't perfectly focused.

. . .

It sounds like your lens is too long, so the lens partially blocks the flash's light. What lens are you using? This can be fixed by using a taller flash, such as the SEF42A, but it would make the camera top heavy and you may not like how it feels. The SEF20A isn't a tall flash, so to use the SEF15A or SEF20A without producing shadows on the bottom of your photos, you'd have to use a flash bracket to raise the flash several inches above the NX200, and run a flash extension cord from the NX200's hot shoe to the flash bracket's hot shoe. Even if you get the taller SEF42A, it would probably be wise to also put it on a flash bracket, because the bracket makes it a lot easier and less tiring to hold. Getting a flash extension cord that matches the pin layout of Samsung's hot shoes and flash feet would be the only tricky part but they probably exist and just have to be located. Some companies probably custom design these cords.

I am using the default lens that comes with it i beleive 18-55mm lens, and i just bought the SEF15A to stop the shadows. The problem they consume a lot of batteries, since i need a lot of flash in clubs, i also bought 5 extra batteries for the camera to keep me company...

R0M
R0M
Like?
In reply to nx200USER1, May 10, 2012

nx200USER1 wrote:

jj74e wrote:

Thats exactly what came to mind.
Here it is directly from the nx200's lcd screen menu,

AF Priority : set the autofocus priority while using the auto focus mode when a photo is not focused.
ON : disable the shutter if it is out of focus.
OFF : enable the shutter even though it out of focus

So what should i set it to to make the problem go away?

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?

Take control of the camera's settings. Stop using AUTO and expecting it to predict exactly what you want.

In this case, you're using a cam like this as a point and shoot and you're finding those limitations.

Learn how to use the camera (and learn more about photography in general) is the basic advice. If not, you're over camera'd.

R0M
R0M
Like?
In reply to wictred, May 10, 2012

wictred wrote:

R0M wrote:

Note that i am using Auto-ISO or Portrait/Beauty mode (for girls).

First of all I'd recommend that you stop using the SCENE mode and use A or M instead. The "portrait" scene only offers face-detection AF and you have absolutely no control over AF area.

Also check that you don't cover the green AF beam with your finger (happened to me quite often in the beginning )

Then I'd consider using a faster lens, even when using flash.

The 30mm/f2 is a really decent lens to use with the NX200 especially in low light - but on the other hand it's not perfect for portraits.

Depends on what you want to achieve. I assume you don't take close-up portraits in a club, so the short focal lenght is probably not an issue.

Do you have some example pics?

No the reason i fell in love with the ST550 and this camera because of the scene mode as you know beauty mode since it makes people look prettier, which is why they hired me, they find my pictures especially of women breathtaking

I'll post some pictures later when i resolve my problem, thanks for your patience....

R0M
R0M
Like?

Interesting tip about the 30 mm, i would consider that, yes the finger problem happened to me too but i don't think it's that... i even tested the problem on my own hand, the light green goes on and it works, sometimes it doesn't it's like the camera has a mind on its own... I just don't want people losing their patience by waiting for me to take a picture and they can lose a good moment at the club

Regards,

R0M
R0M
Like?
In reply to snake_b, May 10, 2012

snake_b wrote:

Take control of the camera's settings. Stop using AUTO and expecting it to predict exactly what you want.

In this case, you're using a cam like this as a point and shoot and you're finding those limitations.

Learn how to use the camera (and learn more about photography in general) is the basic advice. If not, you're over camera'd.

A wise tip, i will consider that too... I just don't wanna lose beauty mode, my mother was very happy to see how young she looked in beauty/scene mode, imagine all the people in the clubs. If this is accomplished not in AUTO then i am ready to learn

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?

Honestly, I think a compact could have achieved what you're trying to do with relying on scene modes and I predict you will not learn your way around a camera and photo theory to get the most out of it.

R0M wrote:

snake_b wrote:

A wise tip, i will consider that too... I just don't wanna lose beauty mode, my mother was very happy to see how young she looked in beauty/scene mode, imagine all the people in the clubs. If this is accomplished not in AUTO then i am ready to learn

R0M
R0M
Like?
In reply to snake_b, May 10, 2012

snake_b wrote:

Honestly, I think a compact could have achieved what you're trying to do with relying on scene modes and I predict you will not learn your way around a camera and photo theory to get the most out of it.

I was using a ST550 before but there were a lot of things improved with the NX200, plus as a photographer at a club noone will want you to take a picture of them in a compact camera, especially the girls they will think you are stalking them or something, after all i am just doing my job

wictred
Like?

R0M wrote:

Interesting tip about the 30 mm, i would consider that, yes the finger problem happened to me too but i don't think it's that... i even tested the problem on my own hand, the light green goes on and it works, sometimes it doesn't it's like the camera has a mind on its own... I just don't want people losing their patience by waiting for me to take a picture and they can lose a good moment at the club

Regards,

If you don't want to use PASM modes then there's no point in investing anything more into that camera and as snake pointed out you'd be better off with a decent compact camera.

The scene modes don't do anything that you can't do better in manual shooting mode (+ a bit of post processing if that's important)

There are also picture wizard settings in manual modes where you can change how JPEGs are processed - for the beginning. Sooner or later it will also make sense to shoot RAW and then do proper processing afterwards.

The important thing is that you control aperture, exposure and focusing yourself. Without that you won't be happy with that kind of camera.

But once you have some experience (let's say after the first 1000 manual photos) you'll see that you can get way more out of the camera, more than you could possibly achieve with a compact camera. But of course, it depends on if you really want to do that. If it is part of your "job" then I'd really recommend it.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
wictred
Like?

R0M wrote:

I was using a ST550 before but there were a lot of things improved with the NX200, plus as a photographer at a club noone will want you to take a picture of them in a compact camera, especially the girls they will think you are stalking them or something, after all i am just doing my job

that's why lots of photographers use big DSLRs with even bigger flashes attached for club & event photography. not because that equipment is really needed, but it makes you look so very very "professional" (and a bit akward)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads