Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,550Gear list
Like?
Nikonrumors see the D600 as more likely and gives more specs
May 10, 2012

http://nikonrumors.com/.../2012/05/09/more-nikon-d600-specs.aspx/#more-39252

Seems quite clear that the camera is coming, even earlier than previously thought:

• announcement in September

• price could be as low as $1,500. If so I can't see Nikon offering a D300 successor, or it would have to be a super doped "D400" full frame body integrated gps wireless etc. BTW I would not want a full body camera, I hate those bricks (YMMV) and I don't think many of the potential D300 upgraders are that interested as well

• AF sensor seems to come from the D7000 (35 AF points) no tip about metering

• possibly integrated gps

• possibly 24 mp sensor (what is this going to do to D3x value!)

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,105
Like?
Re: Nikonrumors see the D600 as more likely and gives more specs
In reply to TOF guy, May 10, 2012

If true, this doesn't really compete with the D400 at all. It would be lower build, lower AF, lower fps than even the D300. So, it's not like a D300 user will want to "upgrade" to that D600.

It seems like it could easily co-exist with a $2000 D400 DX that was the top-of-the-line DX speed demon (perhaps 16MP, 8fps, D4 AF, D4 metering, etc...). The DX and FX lines would overlap in price, but be rationale in terms of functionality per $.
--
John
Gallery: http://jfriend.smugmug.com
Popular: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/popular
Portfolio: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/portfolio

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,064
Like?
In reply to jfriend00, May 10, 2012

I would hate to see the d600 come out with the same af sensor as the d7000, second rate all the way ugh!!!! The d400 is so overdue. Need a semi pro dx with the build of the d300 and with a good AF not like the d7000, big mistake.

Larry

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,433
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, May 10, 2012

I don't see many D300 users jumping for joy for a D600 with specs like that. I'm still pretty sure there will be a pro level DX camera that will be announced.
--
Herby

n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,879Gear list
Like?

TOF guy wrote:

http://nikonrumors.com/.../2012/05/09/more-nikon-d600-specs.aspx/#more-39252

Seems quite clear that the camera is coming, even earlier than previously thought:
• announcement in September

• price could be as low as $1,500. If so I can't see Nikon offering a D300 successor, or it would have to be a super doped "D400" full frame body integrated gps wireless etc. BTW I would not want a full body camera, I hate those bricks (YMMV) and I don't think many of the potential D300 upgraders are that interested as well
• AF sensor seems to come from the D7000 (35 AF points) no tip about metering
• possibly integrated gps
• possibly 24 mp sensor (what is this going to do to D3x value!)

The specs sound like an FX D7000 - except the D7000 does have an internal motor

Hmmmm, I wonder if D700 users will consider that to be the rightful D700 successor?

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Antony John
Contributing MemberPosts: 989Gear list
Like?
In reply to n057, May 10, 2012

Be interesting if Nikon were to bring out a 'pigeon pair' of cameras.
Same body and internals with a choice of FX or DX sensors.
Sharing the same "shell" would certainly help reduce costs.
As a 'rethink' then guess this route would only be possible with an EVF.
Nice idea while it lasted, same layout of controls etc.

Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +16 more
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,105
Like?
In reply to Antony John, May 10, 2012

Antony John wrote:

Sharing the same "shell" would certainly help reduce costs.
Nice idea while it lasted, same layout of controls etc.

I think you're right that this would require EVF because of the difference in viewfinder geometry. I'd wouldn't be so surprised to see EVF on a low-end FX, but I would be surprised to see EVF on a high-end DX, especially when we haven't seen it yet even on the low-end DX and the 3200 was just announced.

Richieg
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?

What shell would they use - D7000.

I hope not. I sold my D90, dismissed the D7000 and am considering a D700 as I would like a dedicated AF-on button, metering modes controlled by switch not menu etc.

Also hope they improve on the AF for this rather than the D7000 in light of the issues people are having.

AF-S only, there goes all the older lenses and the opportunity for existing FF users to buy a second body, lost market by Nikon

zr3rs
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
APS-C Mirrorless

jfriend00 wrote:

Antony John wrote:

I think you're right that this would require EVF because of the difference in viewfinder geometry. I'd wouldn't be so surprised to see EVF on a low-end FX, but I would be surprised to see EVF on a high-end DX, especially when we haven't seen it yet even on the low-end DX and the 3200 was just announced.

EVF more or less requires on-chip PDAF (think Nikon 1 in APS-C).

I predict that Nikon will eventually go that (i.e., Sony NEX) way for all of their APS-C.

The sensor readout needs to be fast (for AF and low EVF lag). This could be in the works with a 16 MPix Aptina sensor, which would fill a similar role (high speed "low" resolution) as the D4.

I also predict that Nikon will create a new mount for APS-C with a shorter flange distance for compactness (because that is the raison d'etre for APS-C). That could explain the lack of new APS-C lenses.

I would be surprised if this is already announced this year (Photokina), but if they can reuse 1-series technology, it could happen next year. I am not sure how "professional" such a model would be, but I would definitely expect it to be fast (as is the 1 series).

Main question is, what do they do in the meantime? I am pretty sure that the 7000 will see a replacement in the second half. Whether this is stop gap enough to not upgrade the D300s I cannot say, but if the new line is really revolutionary (and given Nikons recent achievements, it could well be) it is a real possibility that we will never see a D400 as extrapolated here.

ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
Re: APS-C Mirrorless
In reply to zr3rs, May 10, 2012

Great ! another announcement of something can not seem to make available. I am seriously considering Canon because I can not get the lenses I want.

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
Re: APS-C Mirrorless
In reply to zr3rs, May 10, 2012

zr3rs wrote:

That could explain the lack of new APS-C lenses.

The plant in Japan where the "pro" lens are assembled was also affected by last year tsunami. Probably some production had to be shifted from one place to another. So I'm not sure I would read too much into this.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?

jfriend00 wrote:

If true, this doesn't really compete with the D400 at all. It would be lower build, lower AF, lower fps than even the D300. So, it's not like a D300 user will want to "upgrade" to that D600.

It seems like it could easily co-exist with a $2000 D400 DX that was the top-of-the-line DX speed demon (perhaps 16MP, 8fps, D4 AF, D4 metering, etc...). The DX and FX lines would overlap in price, but be rationale in terms of functionality per $.
--

Agree, that's not the "spirit" of a D300 successor and what current users hope for.

Maybe Nikon has decided that too many D300 users are happy with their camera and the best way to get them to upgrade to something else is the attraction of FF. Although I think most DX users are not used to this format, its pluses and minuses, and are not necessarily looking into a FF upgrade.

In any case one has to wonder what's going on with the D400. Nikon rumors not delivering any leak means it's not in the immediate future.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
In reply to Richieg, May 10, 2012

AF-S only, there goes all the older lenses and the opportunity for existing FF users to buy a second body, lost market by Nikon

Not so sure. Someday we should run a poll and try to find out how many take advantage of the compatibility with older lens. Maybe Nikon has done this kind of market study and decided that the feature is better left to the upscale cameras. Anything mechanical like the old style AF motor adds quite a bit to the cost of the camera. If Nikon looked for features to leave out to keep the cost of this entry level FF camera as low as possible this is a good way to go.

Sells more lens too ... (upgrade from DX lens to FF).

This is a new era: FF competing in price with Dx. Never happened before.
--
Thierry

seahawk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862
Like?
that is a something of a D5000/D7000@ FX

Surely it is not an up-grade for D300 users, who use it for a reason. In all fairness Nikon lacks a fast camera in the 1500-2500$ price range, if the D300 does not get a replacement (whatever it is called)

I personally believe we will see a D6000 DX (up-grade of the 5100 but lower in specs than the D7000) and a D8000 DX, which will be an up-grade to the D7000 and more or less the D400.
--
hobby aviation photographer

2005magnum
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,473
Like?

Brilliant marketing. The camera market is a bit flat. Nikon is coming out with an "entry level" full frame camera. There are millions of folks out there playing around with their entry level DSLRs. Some would like to have the next best thing but are intimidated by cameras like the D800. I predict that not only will Nikon market a new entry level FF camera but they will also have a package (typical of entry level) including a 24-70 3.5-4.5 for less then 2 grand. They may even come out with a few other entry level FF lenses. Yes, I personally would prefer a well built camera with all the buttons in the right place, but Nikon knows that for the masses, a Nikon entry level FF camera is going to sell more then a D400 which has a much narrower market.
--
http://digitalphotonut.zenfolio.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61931648@N02/?saved=1

tundracamper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
In reply to 2005magnum, May 10, 2012

So will the D300/s be the last sub-$3k camera with a high frame rate? Seems like someone at Nikon has decided the pixel count is all that matters to those of spending $2,500 or less on a body.

n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,879Gear list
Like?

TOF guy wrote:

Not so sure. Someday we should run a poll and try to find out how many take advantage of the compatibility with older lens. Maybe Nikon has done this kind of market study and decided that the feature is better left to the upscale cameras. Anything mechanical like the old style AF motor adds quite a bit to the cost of the camera. If Nikon looked for features to leave out to keep the cost of this entry level FF camera as low as possible this is a good way to go.
Sells more lens too ... (upgrade from DX lens to FF).

Sell more lenses because users would upgrade to FX? Because the new body is AFS only?

Most if not all DX lenses are already AFS, so that would not be the major selling point ...

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,268Gear list
Like?
Uh...did you mean sub $6K?
In reply to tundracamper, May 10, 2012
-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
jackdeparte
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?

Impossible it is $1500!!!

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,268Gear list
Like?
Let's be clear here...
In reply to seahawk, May 10, 2012

The D4 is the only fast camera in Nikon's current generation. Surely this can't be their intention.
--
Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads