G.Zuiko 50mm 1.4 lens possible to adapt to M8?

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
dewhirst
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
G.Zuiko 50mm 1.4 lens possible to adapt to M8?
May 10, 2012

Hi,

Is it possible to use my old Olympus OM-System G.Zuiko Auto-S 50mm 1.4 lens on an M8?

If so what is the name of the adaptor please and are there any alternatives re quality and price?

Your advice appreciated

Thanks

dewhirst's gear list:dewhirst's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,051Gear list
Like?
Re: G.Zuiko 50mm 1.4 lens possible to adapt to M8?
In reply to dewhirst, May 10, 2012

Not a chance. Being an SLR lens it has a different working distance and is not rangefinder coupled.
--
Irakly Shanidze
http://www.shanidze.com/en

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joe Pineapples
Senior MemberPosts: 2,155Gear list
Like?
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, May 10, 2012

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

Not a chance. Being an SLR lens it has a different working distance and is not rangefinder coupled.

In theory it is possible to use an SLR lens on an M camera (in the old days there was an R-to-M adapter for example). The other way round is what is not possible, due to the lens fouling the mirror. However, I doubt it is a practical idea for a digital M for several reasons:

• The offset micro-lenses on the M8 sensor are optimized for a different working distance, so there would likely be some sort of vignetting or other bad optical effect.

• Without live view, the only way to focus would be scale / infinity focus or use hyper-focal distance.

• Even the most dedicated Leica fan would admit it is the lenses not the bodies that makes the digital M cameras attractive. An M8 body with an old SLR lens seems like the worst of both worlds.

I don't recall ever seeing such an adapter for sale. If you put the Zuiko lens on a Nex or other mirrorless body, you would have a much more useable camera...

Joe

Joe Pineapples's gear list:Joe Pineapples's gear list
Ricoh GR
PaulChapman
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?
How do M39 screw mount lenses work on an M9?

I have an old FEDIII and, among the various lenses, there is a Jupiter 11 135mm M39 screw mount lens. Would it be worthwhile getting an adaptor for my M9? Apparently it can be done, but I don't know whether the results would be any good; for example can you trust the focussing?

http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptltm.htm

PaulChapman's gear list:PaulChapman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph +9 more
MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?

Yes it is possible and the OM lenses work very well on an M body.

Novoflex makes an adapter, or at least did, and it should not be hard to find.

The model number is: LEM/OM.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=LEM%2FOM&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
dewhirst
Like?
In reply to MilSooper, May 10, 2012

Thanks for all your info guys
And MilSooper-- I'll check out the link you sent

Much appreciated

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,594
Like?
Re: How do M39 screw mount lenses work on an M9?
In reply to PaulChapman, May 10, 2012

PaulChapman wrote:

I have an old FEDIII and, among the various lenses, there is a Jupiter 11 135mm M39 screw mount lens. Would it be worthwhile getting an adaptor for my M9? Apparently it can be done, but I don't know whether the results would be any good; for example can you trust the focussing? ...

The rangefinder focusing mechanism has not changed. Leica specifically designed the M-mount's focusing system coupling to be 100% compatible with the older thread mount lenses. It's been that way since 1954 or so when the M3 was released.

Whether the lens is any good, well, only you can answer that once you try it. An LTM to M-bayonet adapter is cheap enough.
--
Godfrey
http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,594
Like?
In reply to dewhirst, May 11, 2012

dewhirst wrote:

Thanks for all your info guys
And MilSooper-- I'll check out the link you sent

Much appreciated

You can adapt most SLR lenses to M-bayonet lens mount successfully. HOWEVER, you will not have any focus coupling to the rangefinder: you'll have to guess the correct focus setting.

I recommend looking for a Rayqual lens mount adapter. The Rayqual adapters have a neat trick in them—they have a cam which sets the rangefinder mechanism to indicate 3m focus distance, which gives you a well-defined reference for estimating the correct focus setting.
--
Godfrey
http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

dewhirst
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, May 11, 2012

Once again thanks to all for your time and knowledge.

Research ahead.

Heritage Cameras
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
In reply to dewhirst, May 11, 2012

In addition to the information already provided, there are (or were?) adapters available that offer semi-coupled rangefinder focusing on Leica M cameras with various SLR lenses including Olympus OM:

http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptslrRFM.htm

Whether $295 is a sensible investment to use just one lens is another question...
--
Dave, HCL

TheoC
Contributing MemberPosts: 696
Like?
In reply to Heritage Cameras, May 11, 2012

It is about time Leica introduced live view. I have the greatest respect for people who shoot with 90 and 135 mm rangefinder lenses with the coupled rangefinder and get good results. But using these lenses on live view is so much easier. Leica is not about the superb lenses or the funky rangefinder, it is about the photographers who make the system shine. Canon would not make an ff mirrorless, neither would Nikon or Sony. So Leica may have to do it. Leica would be the most conservative and the most forward looking company if it were to retain the rangefinder and add live view. Is this technically feasible, by the way?

Heritage Cameras
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
In reply to TheoC, May 11, 2012

TheoC wrote:

Leica would be the most conservative and the most forward looking company if it were to retain the rangefinder and add live view. Is this technically feasible, by the way?

I don't see why not. If the M9 and MM used suitable CMOS sensors then live view should have been possible. The Leica compact system camera expected at Photokina will likely have live view, but will it be full frame? Or, for a wild idea, perhaps the M10 will retain the rangefinder, offer live view and be compatible with the EVF for the X2?

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads