Also interesting:
The Intrepid
Columbus Circle
Greenwich Village for nightlife
Soho for lots of private art galleries
World Trade Center.
Pier 17
Union Square.

Be sure to hit the Brooklyn Heights Promenade (2 or 3 'red line' subway to Clark Street) for absolutely the best pictures of Manhattan skyline. Especially at night.

Another great list...thanks!

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James Cafferty
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,306
Like?
Re: Thanks James!
In reply to Mofongo, May 12, 2012

Mofongo wrote:

James Cafferty wrote:

Good idea to take the DSLR. But, the compact P&S doesn't weigh very much and is relatively lightweight. Why not take both? Maybe wifey could shoot a few images.

Great list, I appreciate that...

Bob

You're welcome! Have a great time.
--
All the best,
Jim

Photographers take pictures; the camera is only a tool.

drusus
Contributing MemberPosts: 603Gear list
Like?
Re: drusus

Mofongo wrote:

drusus wrote:

I think it's worthwhile to take a dSLR if you yourself know that it's worth it to you for specific reasons, such as wanting to take pictures in low light, or extreme perspecitive photos like with the 10-20 mm lens, or shallow depth of field with your bright primes. The fact that you are not aware of such needs for yourself makes me think you'll be happier with the P&S.

Thanks I am aware of specific needs for bringing my DSLR I just did not post them in my OP. I would love to have my 10-20mm and 85/1.8 for the reasons you stated...

Is this going to be a trip mostly oriented towards photography?

Socializing, visiting and photo taking...

Is this trip going to be with other people, who will get annoyed every time a corner is turned because neary every corner in NYC can be a good photo opportunity, and then your friends/family will have to wait for you to move your heavy bag around your shoulder, unzip it, think for a moment which lens that is not the one on the camera do you want to change to, remove the lens hood from its storage position to its vital flare-preventing position, choose EV compensation value, and bracket? If so, then P&S.

My wife has the patience of a saint and encourages me to shoot as much as I like...

I don't think you'll regret the experience of blending in the with crowd, eating a pretzel while you're walking, and still take out your P&S in a flash when a good moment presents itself. All those pictures NOT taken with the DSLR you left at home will soon be forgotten, whereas the experience of taking in the city with all your senses and your attention will be unforgettable.

Thanks for your input. As much as would love the convenience of just carrying a P&S I think I would regret not having the expanded envelope of photography that a DSLR offers...DSLR it will be!

Bob

Based on the additional information you provided, I would change my advice to bringing your dSLR. That 10-20 mm will be great for the buildings, and the 85 mm will be great for shooting some of the unique people you see in the city.

Drusus

drusus's gear list:drusus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,142
Like?
take both

you should really take both cameras, one you put in the pocket and shoot mainly with the big guy, I always travel with minimum two cameras and so do very many here, good luck AND DON'T WORRY YOU'LL HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME IN THE BIG APPLE
--
Berghof G.C.

GarageBoy
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?
Re: NYC trip- DSLR or P&S?
In reply to Mofongo, May 14, 2012

Bring it. You will be one of 100,000 people with a DSLR out

Part of me thinks that there are more photographers than human subjects in this city.

Going through the LES (Grand St, Orchard St, Stanton St, etc) is a must to get the awesome classic NYC feel. Switch over to SoHo and do some portraits with the cast iron architecture as your backdrop (real SoHo, as in, stay off of Broadway)

EDIT: SoHo only has a handful of galleries left (sad, but they can't make rent like Ralph Lauren, etc can...)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads