bridge camera

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions
snowshovel 1
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
bridge camera
May 10, 2012

what feeling and views do you have on a bridge camera as a travel camera?

going of to vacation in 3 weeks and there will be a lot of walking and tour bus mostly city and close up work--carring my d7000 with 3 lens and a flash is a worry !
thanks for your views

coastcontact
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
Re: bridge camera
In reply to snowshovel 1, May 10, 2012

A bridge camera is a compromise. The benefits are well known. Everyone has a different take on this. Personally I think it’s worth the slight inconvenience of the bulk for the one lens that zooms between wide angle and zoom. I am willing to bet there will be many that agree and disagree. I just bought a Panasonic FZ150 and plan to take it from Los Angeles to London and Paris. Others will say it’s too clumsy.
--
Coastcontact

coastcontact's gear list:coastcontact's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,791
Like?
In reply to coastcontact, May 10, 2012

My stepson has a Panasonic FZ-150. It is an excellent camera.

I use an Oympus XZ-1... keep it in my left shirt pocket, with a spare battery and older Pen VF-1 optical viewfinder in my right shirt pocket. The XZ-1 is an excellent camera.

Lots of super choices. I like the XZ-1's portability / small form factor, perfect for travel, street, and low-light photography.

Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,147Gear list
Like?
In reply to jon404, May 10, 2012

jon404 wrote:

I use an Oympus XZ-1... keep it in my left shirt pocket, with a spare battery and older Pen VF-1 optical viewfinder in my right shirt pocket. The XZ-1 is an excellent camera.

The advantages of the XZ-1 are a larger CD and manual controls.

I now have the Olympus SZ-30MR, which is a 24x zoom pocket P&S. I have learnt to do with its automatics what I used to do manually on my 2008 vintage Olympus SP-570UZ bridge camera.

This gallery gives you a cross-section what is possible these days on a pocket P&S such as the new Olympus SZ-31MRiHS (judging by the first pictures now becoming available).

http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner/henry94

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SZ-30MR, SP-570UZ, Stylus 9010
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,199Gear list
Like?
Great idea. Used R1is about $350.

Get it now so you can get some practice in.
--

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,364
Like?

snowshovel 1 wrote:

what feeling and views do you have on a bridge camera as a travel camera?

I've always liked a small, unobtrusive camera to take along for travel. It doesn't have to fit in a shirt pocket because my preferred method of carry is via a neckstrap, but it shouldn't weigh a lot or jut out half a foot in front of me. Many people these days think "super zoom" when a bridge camera is mentioned, but I prefer a smaller, lighter option for travel and currently use a Nikon P7100. Rich with features, easy to access settings without scrolling through menus, ability to customize its operation (with programmable function buttons and user modes), bridge cameras can offer a pleasing shooting experience in a tidy, self-contained package--everything you need is built in and ready to go, with no extras to tote along or be continually attaching and removing.

wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,442
Like?
Yes. Go with a small sensor camera on such vacations
In reply to snowshovel 1, May 11, 2012

You will be shooting mostly outdoors in bright light or, if indoors, stationary subjects for which you can use a long shutter. Therefore you don't need capability for high ISO with low noise, a capability that would require a larger sensor. Nor do you need to exploit the steadily diminishing advantage of PDAF over CDAF.

Therefore you don't need your big gear. It will only bog you down.

Since your standard gear includes three lenses, you say, you are probably accustomed to having a wide range of focal lengths and may find any reduction of that to be frustrating. Therefore one of the superzoom bridge cameras is probably just the ticket for you. I use the Sony HX-100V for such travel for the reasons listed above, but I imagine the Canon, Nikon and Panasonic entries in this category are all pretty good. I suspect you will find them to be a pleasure.

snowshovel 1
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Re: Yes. Go with a small sensor camera on such vacations
In reply to wb2trf, May 11, 2012

thanks for your help I going out to try to compare a few cameara will keep all posted

Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
I don't like them
In reply to snowshovel 1, May 12, 2012

small chip and a big body with useless high zoom, they are inexpensive and promise great results, I would rather buy P & S but if you don't want to carry a big DSLR why don't you get 4/3 camera? Bridge cameras don't appeal to me at all and I wouldn't be seen with one of them in the public even during the darkest hour of the night
--
Berghof G.C.

wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,442
Like?
Re: I don't like them
In reply to Berghof, May 12, 2012

Berghof wrote:

small chip and a big body with useless high zoom

"Useless high zoom." This statement makes no sense. The long zoom is certainly not useless. A high percentage of all the waterfowl shots I take are at 810mm. For some kinds of photography long lenses are useless, but for other kinds they are absolutely necessary. This is why every camera maker makes long lenses, or hadn't you noticed that.

, they are inexpensive

That is a good thing unless your ego needs the support of shouting to others that you have spent a lot money. Your closing comment suggests that this is your problem.

if you don't want to carry a big DSLR why don't you get 4/3 camera?

In bright light you don't really need that larger sensor. The smaller sensor lets you carry a long lens in a much smaller package that is more easily handled.

I wouldn't be seen with one of them in the public even during the darkest hour of the night

Ah this is what it is all about, self-image. If all we want to know is what is fashionable, we wouldn't try to understand a camera. Our method might be to decide who is fashonable and see what kind of camera they carry. Those cameras would then be "good cameras". That would be a method that could be adopted a web site called "Fashion Camera Review." You could visit that site and leave those of us with less need for ego support to discuss cameras.

Moxi
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
In reply to snowshovel 1, May 12, 2012

Hi there,

Just received a brand new Fujifilm X S1 Bridge camera.
I tended to believe the raving reviews—mainly as I wanted to.
For me it is an ideal travel camera.

I used to have a Panasonic DMC FZ30—great cam, super lens but very poor EVF and as it is now quite historic—also very slow.

Panasonics FZ successor is now the FZ 150, Sadly (in my view) Panasonic decided to drop the excellent manual zoom and add a motorized version, the EVF however is still of the low resolution variety.

The Fujifilm X-S1 is definitely an improvement on all levels.

• Super manual lens from 24 to 624mm

• Flexible LCD with good resolution.

• Slightly larger sensor.

• Very good EVF.

Definitely much faster than the old version of bridge cameras. The X-S1 has also a host of useful features; like panorama, and good video. The feature I have used on many occasions recently was the “burst mode bracketing” setting the shots + - 1/3, taking 3 shots in fast sequence. That enabled me later to either choose the best exposed shot, or use HDR in my Paintshop X4 software.

Check out this site;
http://roel.me/fujifilm-x-s1-goes-to-china/

Cheers
Moxi, Australia

Moxi's gear list:Moxi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D200
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads