Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?
Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?
May 9, 2012

Honest question, I am not trying to troll. I've never shot Pentax, though a good friend is very happy with them. I've just got a lot of money wrapped up in m43, an OM-D order, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've gone crazy. By the spec sheets, they seem like awfully similar cameras with the hard numbers tipped in favor of the K-5.

Is it just down to (good) live view and size?

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +11 more
Tim F 101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020
Like?
Why do birds suddenly appear...
In reply to Promit, May 9, 2012

Serious question. Instead of starting a new thread, can you reply directly to the person who allegedly said that the OM-D is better? It would help keep down thread clutter on the forum.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
CDAF is usually more accurate

I owned Canons for years, but the PDAF focusing always had issues. I sent my T2i in to get "adjusted" 3 times.

With CDAF you do not have to adjust the camera for every lens. This is why so many people claim they get a higher "hit-rate" of focused shots.

I am sure that if you properly adjust you camera for every lens, it should be just as accurate...but does your camera support that?

James A Rinner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Here is why...The K-5 is just a little bit smaller than my E-5.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,

James A. Rinner

James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Hopefully Ricardo will comment...

I know that he currently shoots with a K-5 and is considering the E-M5 as an alternative.

For myself, it would be live view, m4/3rds lens selection and focus accuracy in favor of the E-M5... Plus a near silent shutter.

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Thorgrem
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
In reply to James A Rinner, May 9, 2012

Nice picture of two brothers.

The E-5 really is a intimidating camera. But i think the E-5 and E-M5 share some of the same forms. Like 'the hump'. I wonder if Olympus will make a new E-7/E-50 that will also look like the old OM series.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Erik Johansen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,271Gear list
Like?
The K-5 is a dog..........

....a PEN-dachs........
--
It is never too late to give up your prejudices.

timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?

Promit wrote:

Honest question, I am not trying to troll. I've never shot Pentax, though a good friend is very happy with them. I've just got a lot of money wrapped up in m43, an OM-D order, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've gone crazy. By the spec sheets, they seem like awfully similar cameras with the hard numbers tipped in favor of the K-5.

Is it just down to (good) live view and size?

K5 is the better IMO, but seeing as most people seem to change cameras every five minutes might as well get one of the retro cams now, and flog it before it becomes cringe worthy.

You'll always be able to buy a k5 equivelant, but there is only this year an possibly next to satisfy your retro craving before it becomes passe. Fill your boots while you can.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Promit
Like?
Re: Why do birds suddenly appear...
In reply to Tim F 101, May 9, 2012

Tim F 101 wrote:

Serious question. Instead of starting a new thread, can you reply directly to the person who allegedly said that the OM-D is better? It would help keep down thread clutter on the forum.

Because that thread was about weight, nearly finished, I'd get ignored, and that guy was a douche. This thread is, I hope, a productive discussion.

Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +11 more
Promit
Like?

Wait, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thread. I saw this one:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=41460497

Tim F 101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020
Like?
fair point

Can't disagree with any of that. I don't think that one has to be better than the other in any absolute sense. They both do what they do quite well. Making it a dichotamous issue just invites partisans to keep sniping at each other.

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?

Honestly, I was interested in the OM-D until I saw that thread. It got me interested in the K5 and I started doing research about it.

The K5 is indeed small and lightweight (compared to other DSLR), the pancake lenses are crazily small and sharp. Great high ISO and DR beats FF cameras. For under $2000 I can get a body with 3 very nice pancakes. I dont know why it's not more popular.

Promit wrote:

Tim F 101 wrote:

Because that thread was about weight, nearly finished, I'd get ignored, and that guy was a douche. This thread is, I hope, a productive discussion.

James A Rinner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thorgrem, May 9, 2012

Don't talk about the E-7! I don't need another camera! I have to sell the E-5. It will be sad to see it go.
--
Sincerely,

James A. Rinner

James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Thorgrem
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, May 9, 2012

I think it's because of the same reason 4/3's like the E-5 (or E-30, E-620) is not popular. A to small user base so it's overshadowed by Canon and Nikon. A to small users base is also a risk for people who do boy in to the system.

The K5 is a very nice camera but I would go for the m4/3's because it's the future and it's much, much smaller.

hellocrowley wrote:

Honestly, I was interested in the OM-D until I saw that thread. It got me interested in the K5 and I started doing research about it.

The K5 is indeed small and lightweight (compared to other DSLR), the pancake lenses are crazily small and sharp. Great high ISO and DR beats FF cameras. For under $2000 I can get a body with 3 very nice pancakes. I dont know why it's not more popular.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,609Gear list
Like?
Plus, within the same system, you can get an EPM1 or GF5

Using the same excellent pancake lenses, you can also get a 2nd, really small body. Hard to do that with the K5.

Thorgrem wrote:

I think it's because of the same reason 4/3's like the E-5 (or E-30, E-620) is not popular. A to small user base so it's overshadowed by Canon and Nikon. A to small users base is also a risk for people who do boy in to the system.

The K5 is a very nice camera but I would go for the m4/3's because it's the future and it's much, much smaller.

hellocrowley wrote:

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,609Gear list
Like?
Re: CDAF is usually more accurate
In reply to Everdog, May 9, 2012

Good point. I have a DLSR for C-AF in PDAF, but while it's quicker, I swear it's not as accurate as my m43 CDAF

Everdog wrote:

I owned Canons for years, but the PDAF focusing always had issues. I sent my T2i in to get "adjusted" 3 times.

With CDAF you do not have to adjust the camera for every lens. This is why so many people claim they get a higher "hit-rate" of focused shots.

I am sure that if you properly adjust you camera for every lens, it should be just as accurate...but does your camera support that?

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Promit
Like?
Re: Plus, within the same system, you can get an EPM1 or GF5
In reply to WT21, May 9, 2012

WT21 wrote:

Using the same excellent pancake lenses, you can also get a 2nd, really small body. Hard to do that with the K5.

Good point, actually. I can coat-pocket a PEN, or wield a "big" angry OM-D, all with a single glass investment. Especially since LensRentals has confirmed that the 20mm is one bad mother

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?

That's not really fair IMO. You should put the DA limited primes on that K5. For example the 1cm thick 40mm 2.8 or 70mm 2.4. It will be a lot thinner than the OMD + 45mm.

Thorgrem wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,243
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, May 9, 2012

hellocrowley wrote:

That's not really fair IMO. You should put the DA limited primes on that K5. For example the 1cm thick 40mm 2.8 or 70mm 2.4. It will be a lot thinner than the OMD + 45mm.

And put a grip on the Oly.

Thorgrem wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,673Gear list
Like?
Many cameras are better than the OM-D.

Of course the K-5 is better. So is the E-5, D800, 1Ds IV, XZ1, LX1, E-1, LX1, 645D, Elph 300HS, TG1, E-PL3, GH2,.... depending on your priorities, budget, interests, personality, past experience, current gear, self-image, perspective....

If the K5 does it for you, then go for it. It's a DSLR compared with a CSC. There are pros and cons for each and it's very subjective. Personally, I want the OM-D but am not willing flog my DSLRs and 4/3rds Zuiko lenses to get one. That said, every spec sheet is only part of the equation.

Cheers,
Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads