Canon Flash units with OMD EM5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
eyedo
Contributing MemberPosts: 610
Like?
Canon Flash units with OMD EM5?
May 9, 2012

In 2004 I had the Oly C8080. I am a pro photog and I used my Canon flash cord with the Canon big flash unit on a bracket when I went on a trip.

Shots came out great when I used RAW.I shot manual all the way.

I use Nikon pro gear now and have the Oly OMD EM5.

Anyone have the Canon 580EX or EXII or similar with the flash cable and the Oly?

Just wondering if it will work.

Love the camera just trying to find workable blendable solutions for my gear.

No longer feel very married to my Nikon system...

Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon Flash units with OMD EM5?
In reply to eyedo, May 9, 2012

I'm fairly sure it'll fire in full manual or "manual auto" mode. I'm using a Canon TTL flash cord with my M-5 and FL-36 combination at the moment, and it works perfectly. I'm looking forward to playing with the FL-600, though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Goffen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,258Gear list
Like?
From memory...

The canon flashes has the same pin layout as Oly. So you can use Canons cables with oly Cameras/Flashes.

For the same reason do NOT use canon flashes on Oly Cameras. Pins will be aligned, but the signals are not compatible.

However Nikon flashes works just fine on Oly. The brand specific pins hits nothing.

Did that make sense ?

I have used old sb26's in the hot shoe of all my Olys up til e-5. Nothing fried yet.

Goffen

-- hide signature --
 Goffen's gear list:Goffen's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-30 +12 more
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,976Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon Flash units with OMD EM5?

Don't have an EM5, but my EX580II works with my GH1 and GF1, in non-TTL automatic mode (I think the setting is Custom 5), like the old thyristor flashes of days gone by. Do not have a cable, but no idea why it would not work.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Mike_PEAT
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,708Gear list
Like?
Re:Goffen is referring to the TTL pins, not the FIRE pin...
In reply to Goffen, May 10, 2012

Goffen wrote:

The canon flashes has the same pin layout as Oly. So you can use Canons cables with oly Cameras/Flashes.

For the same reason do NOT use canon flashes on Oly Cameras. Pins will be aligned, but the signals are not compatible.

In addition to the firing contact being in the same place (good), the TTL pins are in the same place (bad)...if the flash is expecting positive voltages, and the camera sends a negative, and you can damage the flash and/or camera.

If you use a safesync or cable which only uses the larger firing contact, then there's no issue (as long as the flash trigger voltage isn't outrageous).

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads