Photoshop CS6 patch / content-aware move/extend not working right

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
Jack A. Zucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,539
Like?
Photoshop CS6 patch / content-aware move/extend not working right
May 9, 2012

Anyone else finding this with high rez files? With 1024x768 files it seems to work great but with my canon 5d MK II (21MP) files its absolutely horrid.

I actually have to resort to loading the files in CS5 if I need the patch tool.

I hope to god they fix this in the official release but I'm not too pleased I paid for the upgrade at the moment.

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,696Gear list
Like?
Re: Photoshop CS6 patch / content-aware move/extend not working right
In reply to Jack A. Zucker, May 9, 2012

Always wait a few month before upgrading, they'll fix some stuff and you don't end up as a beta tester.

Jack A. Zucker wrote:

Anyone else finding this with high rez files? With 1024x768 files it seems to work great but with my canon 5d MK II (21MP) files its absolutely horrid.

I actually have to resort to loading the files in CS5 if I need the patch tool.

I hope to god they fix this in the official release but I'm not too pleased I paid for the upgrade at the moment.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jack A. Zucker
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, May 9, 2012

I know but in this case, you have to purchase the upgrade while it's still at the low price. You just need to wait before you use it. I'm just puzzled by all the glowing reviews because time after time, the content-aware move,extend and patch tool fail. In particular, the patch tool fails whether in normal mode or content aware mode on the same image that it works successfully with Photoshop CS5.

None of the glowing reviews mention anything about the issues. Imagine that?!?...

Toermalijn
Like?
In reply to Jack A. Zucker, May 9, 2012

Maybe they don't have the problems you have?

Most of the time it's a cpu/gpu/opengl issue. If you have everything up to standard, you won't see any problems.

Jack A. Zucker wrote:

I know but in this case, you have to purchase the upgrade while it's still at the low price. You just need to wait before you use it. I'm just puzzled by all the glowing reviews because time after time, the content-aware move,extend and patch tool fail. In particular, the patch tool fails whether in normal mode or content aware mode on the same image that it works successfully with Photoshop CS5.

None of the glowing reviews mention anything about the issues. Imagine that?!?...

Antioch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,820
Like?
Re: Jack .... Is your video card compatible ...
In reply to Toermalijn, May 9, 2012

How do you know whether your video card is compatible with PSCS6. CS6 in particular will not work with older computers, video cards fyi.

Lates is that is has to be OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0 compatible among other things. Allso needs more memory both with cpu and gpu.

Jack A. Zucker
Like?
Re: Jack .... Is your video card compatible ...
In reply to Antioch, May 9, 2012

That would cause refresh/display problems but the card is not used to produce the native algorithms so if your card was older you might see a weird display glitch but a refresh will take care of it. At any rate, my card is a couple years old (GeForce 9500 GT 1GB ) with drivers updated regularly and no issues with photoshop 5.5.

What video card do you recommend?

Jack A. Zucker
Like?
In reply to Jack A. Zucker, May 10, 2012

my card supports opengl 2.1 and shader 4.0

Antioch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,820
Like?

That should work, however, I use a lot of 3D software, and all of them including Adobe which now has a new graphics engine, and Adobe is also into 3D as well as rendering and shading, have all what is called Certified Video Cards.

This means, that those cards were all tested and passed by the various Software Companies.

You may want to check that out, for Adobe Certified Video Cards for CS6, which as I said has a new Graphics Engine.
Antioch

Jack A. Zucker
Like?
In reply to Antioch, May 10, 2012

Antioch wrote:

That should work, however, I use a lot of 3D software, and all of them including Adobe which now has a new graphics engine, and Adobe is also into 3D as well as rendering and shading, have all what is called Certified Video Cards.

This means, that those cards were all tested and passed by the various Software Companies.

You may want to check that out, for Adobe Certified Video Cards for CS6, which as I said has a new Graphics Engine.
Antioch

my card IS certified for cs6

Toermalijn
Like?

I am thinking of a card that is not high end enough to do real large pictures. You might want to check the latest high end cards from Nvidia or Ati, like the 7970 for more raw power.

If you have a 256MB or 512MB card, i am inclined to think it's not powerful enough for those really large files.

Jack A. Zucker wrote:

Antioch wrote:

Antioch

my card IS certified for cs6

Jack A. Zucker
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, May 10, 2012

Toermalijn wrote:

I am thinking of a card that is not high end enough to do real large pictures. You might want to check the latest high end cards from Nvidia or Ati, like the 7970 for more raw power.

If you have a 256MB or 512MB card, i am inclined to think it's not powerful enough for those really large files.

I think that's a stretch.

For one thing, my card has 1GB of memory.

And for another, I routinely work with 16 layer files close to 1GB in PS CS5 with no issues.

However, I did order an nvidia Quadro 2000 as a test-point

OTOH, If you're not using 3d, you don't need the shader features (which my current card has anyway) and any issues with compatibility or rendering would "fix" themselves with a refresh. The enhanced features of the mercury rendering image are in improvements in the responsiveness and live rendering of transformations. Not in implementation of the final algorithm which is in the software itself. For non 3d or video rendering, the hardware merely applies acceleration. It doesn't perform the algorithm. This is different than in video where the on-board memory card is called upon to do transforms of video streams because it is faster than using the main cpu.

However, I will update this posting in a few days when I get the quadro and let folks know if that fixes the issues I'm seeing. I'm also due to get my official (non beta) version on or before May 25th according to adobe so perhaps that will bear some fruit as well.

Jack A. Zucker
Like?
In reply to Jack A. Zucker, May 12, 2012

i posted an example of the bug on this thread

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=41488934

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads