Slow shutter speed - subject too dark message -d5100

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
mikeysaling
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
Slow shutter speed - subject too dark message -d5100
May 9, 2012

D5100 mounted on a tripod - taking some still life (the wife ! NOOOO only joking) . The live view ? flashes and tells me subject too dark use a flash and the flashing speed and aperture 1sec @ f5.3 are ok . Why does it flash when it can achieve good exposure ? Anyone know - Is it assuming i'm trying to hand hold the camera?

mikeysaling
Like?
Re: Slow shutter speed - subject too dark message -d5100
In reply to mikeysaling, May 9, 2012

This is the image that i was taking

By mikeysaling at 2012-05-09

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mikeysaling
Like?
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,755Gear list
Like?

mikeysaling wrote:

D5100 mounted on a tripod - taking some still life (the wife ! NOOOO only joking) . The live view ? flashes and tells me subject too dark use a flash and the flashing speed and aperture 1sec @ f5.3 are ok . Why does it flash when it can achieve good exposure ? Anyone know - Is it assuming i'm trying to hand hold the camera?

Little confused - are you saying that the camera is WARNING you to use flash but then takes the picture (which is a reasonable thing to do), but goes ahead and uses flash after issuing the warning?

Check your shooting mode. If your using one of the scene modes, the camera selects what it thinks is the best thing to do for the situation, after telling you why. If you want to do an existing light shot without the camera butting in with its own opinion, switch to one of the standard automatic modes - A, S, P, or M. In these modes the flash unit won't actuate unless you specifically raise it from its stored position. You may also have a "guide" feature activated in your camera settings that you can defeat if it bothers you.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

mikeysaling wrote:

I'm afraid you have a bit of a learning curve ahead of you.

You didn't buy a camera that nice to use it like a point and shoot. Take it out of whatever Auto mode you have it in. Put it in M Mode, and study up on exposure (the internet has all the info you'll need for free).

mikeysaling
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, May 9, 2012

What I'm trying to say is when taking this image in aperture priority at a slow speed (see exif) in live view the ? and the exposure detail flashes

• pressing the ? button reveals

Subject too dark. cannot adjust the exposure . use the flash.

Why is it giving me this (? warning) when it has the correct exposure - maybe there is a menu setting to turn it off?

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

Yeah, not sure. I don't use Live View or a D5100. And there's not way to tell if the exposure is "correct", even with the EXIF data.

blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,400
Like?

mikeysaling wrote:

What I'm trying to say is when taking this image in aperture priority at a slow speed (see exif) in live view the ? and the exposure detail flashes

• pressing the ? button reveals

Subject too dark. cannot adjust the exposure . use the flash.

I see the same thing plenty of time, even on sunny days, easy fix seem to be "don't press the ? button"

Why is it giving me this (? warning) when it has the correct exposure - maybe there is a menu setting to turn it off?

camera does not know that it "has correct exposure", It just knows that based on the metering mode selected it is not hitting mid tone grey average. likely because most of your image below is clad in black plastic. high contrast, shiny, snow, etc... render the meter fairly unreliable.

Think of it this way,

mikeysaling
Like?
In reply to blue_cheese, May 9, 2012

Thanks for that - yes the image was matrix (which i think uses the grey card thingy) OR maybe it's offended by imaging a KODAK my very first 'nice' camera - giving my age away now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads