DPR did it again: Fuji X Pro RAW samples updated...

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,864
Like?
DPR did it again: Fuji X Pro RAW samples updated...
May 9, 2012

Over the past few hours it has become apparent that I managed to covert the Raw files from the X-Pro1 in the Adobe RGB colorspace.

The files have been re-processed, including sharpening that takes into account the X-Pro1's lack of AA filter.

I'm really embarrassed about my oversight and I apologise for any confusion caused.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1/8

Richard - dpreview.com

Having looked over the new samples I'd say things are looking quite a bit more normal than they were initially.

In short, the X-Pro 1 looks pretty good, though I'm not entirely sure if the RAW NR works out to be better or worst against the competition. - I'm on the fence on that one atm.

Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,373Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR did it again: Fuji X Pro RAW samples updated...
In reply to JohnBee, May 9, 2012

Image quality is splitting hairs at best. And that's a pretty far way around the barn, i.e. lots of money and performance sacrifices for potentially little if any IQ improvements.

If the Fuji lenses were a little more like DA LTD's instead of point and shoot lightweight cheap feeling things, and if the camera body was a little more "solid" and about $500 less USD, then it would be a fun thing to have...

Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

I do kind of think about putting the LTD's on it with an adaptor, but then I shoot them on my K-5 and say NAAAAAAAH!
--
Edward

http://www.youtube.com/photouniverse
http://www.edwardthomasart.com
http://www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

 Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR did it again: Fuji X Pro RAW samples updated...
In reply to JohnBee, May 9, 2012

johnbee wrote:

Over the past few hours it has become apparent that I managed to covert the Raw files from the X-Pro1 in the Adobe RGB colorspace.

The files have been re-processed, including sharpening that takes into account the X-Pro1's lack of AA filter.

I'm really embarrassed about my oversight and I apologise for any confusion caused.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1/8

Richard - dpreview.com

Having looked over the new samples I'd say things are looking quite a bit more normal than they were initially.

You are late to party. DPR fixed that yesterday

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,864
Like?
Re: DPR did it again: Fuji X Pro RAW samples updated...
In reply to Qwntm, May 9, 2012

Qwntm wrote:

Image quality is splitting hairs at best. And that's a pretty far way around the barn, i.e. lots of money and performance sacrifices for potentially little if any IQ improvements.

I think you're right. If I had to guess, I'd say that were approaching a limit on the 16mp sensors as we find camera's like the K-01 to be more of a fine tuned version of the K-5 in terms of final IQ.

Having said that, I hope I'm mistaken on the X Pro 1 in terms of this because I truly have a soft spot for Fuji and the potential for new sensor technology. And so I'm hoping that it is the RAW converters that aren't up to the task of translating the RAW data and not the sensor itself.

Anyways, I'm really rooting Pentax given that they all they need to deliver the goods with their upcoming K-3 this year. ie. another top performing(resolution, color, DR) APS-C from which every other manufacturer will compare with.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,373Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR did it again: Fuji X Pro RAW samples updated...
In reply to JohnBee, May 9, 2012

johnbee wrote:

Qwntm wrote:

Image quality is splitting hairs at best. And that's a pretty far way around the barn, i.e. lots of money and performance sacrifices for potentially little if any IQ improvements.

I think you're right. If I had to guess, I'd say that were approaching a limit on the 16mp sensors as we find camera's like the K-01 to be more of a fine tuned version of the K-5 in terms of final IQ.

Having said that, I hope I'm mistaken on the X Pro 1 in terms of this because I truly have a soft spot for Fuji and the potential for new sensor technology. And so I'm hoping that it is the RAW converters that aren't up to the task of translating the RAW data and not the sensor itself.

Anyways, I'm really rooting Pentax given that they all they need to deliver the goods with their upcoming K-3 this year. ie. another top performing(resolution, color, DR) APS-C from which every other manufacturer will compare with.

And who knows, the K-3 might be full frame! (Not that it matters at all!)

 Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,864
Like?
Re: DPR did it again: Fuji X Pro RAW samples updated...
In reply to Qwntm, May 9, 2012

Qwntm wrote:

And who knows, the K-3 might be full frame! (Not that it matters at all!)

There are varying opinions on that, but I'm guessing no. Or more accurately, I hope not

I just spend a considerable amount of money on third party lenses this year which may or may not work on a FF mount.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads