I have to laugh at the micro four thirds weight issue

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
Robertj_298
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
I have to laugh at the micro four thirds weight issue
May 9, 2012

I have to laugh when people talk about switching to micro four thirds because of the lighter weight. The e-m5 weighs exactly 7 ounces less than the Pentax K-5. Lets say you put a K-5 and 2 or 3 lenses in your camera bag. What are you carrying? Maybe 5 lbs? You would think by listening to some you're carrying 50 or 60 lbs lol. I'm 57 years old and the day I can't carry an APS-C camera along with a few lenses is the day I will quit taking photographs. I'm not putting down the system or the camera because they seem to take great photographs but I don't see why someone would switch just because of the difference in weight

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,546Gear list
Like?
Big time troll....
In reply to Robertj_298, May 9, 2012

Robertj_298 wrote:

I have to laugh when people talk about switching to micro four thirds because of the lighter weight. The e-m5 weighs exactly 7 ounces less than the Pentax K-5. Lets say you put a K-5 and 2 or 3 lenses in your camera bag. What are you carrying? Maybe 5 lbs? You would think by listening to some you're carrying 50 or 60 lbs lol. I'm 57 years old and the day I can't carry an APS-C camera along with a few lenses is the day I will quit taking photographs. I'm not putting down the system or the camera because they seem to take great photographs but I don't see why someone would switch just because of the difference in weight

Why are you bothering to troll here?

Go enjoy your Pentax.

We will enjoy our M43s.

Simple.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,525Gear list
Like?
I doubt anyone's switching just because of the weight

Rather, I'm pretty sure the weight is just one of many factors that fall on the plus side of using an m43 rather than a DSLR.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +14 more
Melbourne Park
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
Re: I have to laugh at the micro four thirds weight issue

Robertj_298 wrote:

When m43 comes out with compact weatherproof tele lenses, the weight gap to APS will become huge. And its not just about weight - its also bulk. You can take your whole m43 kit into a planes cabin easily, its not at all easy to do that with APS DSLR, unless its your plane that is.

Ollie 2
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?

Erm, I’d probably find it mildly amusing if someone dumped the K-5 for the OM-D purely due to the weight difference as well.

However, I’ve never seen anyone post such a ludicrous comment. Generally the weight issues are relating to large FF Canons/Nikons and large heavy optics.

Robertj_298 wrote:

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +11 more
GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 365Gear list
Like?

Go look at any 400mm lens (my Nikkor 80-400 VR for example) for the larger sensor systems compared to the 45-200 Pany or the 100-300 Pany, and then carry that around all day attached to a matching camera body. Then come troll some more with your "laugh at the ... weight issue."

Not sure why someone feels the need to mock others over something like this.
--
Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
Melbourne Park
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ollie 2, May 9, 2012

Ollie 2 wrote:

Erm, I’d probably find it mildly amusing if someone dumped the K-5 for the OM-D purely due to the weight difference as well.

However, I’ve never seen anyone post such a ludicrous comment. Generally the weight issues are relating to large FF Canons/Nikons and large heavy optics.

Robertj_298 wrote:

Perhaps the poster read about the K-5 user who has changed to m43 via OM-D? There's more than one on this site. Strange but if one believes posts, true. I also reckon that some of Pentax's compact primes on the OM-D would be sweet.

Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +11 more
jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 1,931Gear list
Like?
Re: I have to laugh at people blowing off the weight advantages

Can people carry extra weight up and down mountains and canyons just for the heck of it? Sure. I've done it, including with Pentax limited primes. But why do it if you don't have to.

Heck, I've even seen Pentaxians making the same argument as a Pentax advantage over Canikon.
--
http://jcharding.zenfolio.com/

jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
fujitsupalm
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

Robertj_298 wrote:

I'm not sure if I can relate to what you're saying, never considered Pentax since it's not great for serious shooting and not quite as pocketable as the M 4/3 with a 20mm 1.7 pancake attached.

Compared to my Nikon D3 set up, yes, M4/3 makes casual shooting a much more pleasant occassion. I can't imagine fitting a Pentax in my coat pocket to be honest.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,125Gear list
Like?

Robertj_298 wrote:

I laugh with you! Those who insist on the weight only advantage of M43 do not say you truth.

The greatest advantage of any mirror less camera is absence of a mirror and OVF. Those two trick you into a deception that you see what you are shooting. Only direct image from the sensor correctly represent the capture
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
OdzBodkinz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,413
Like?
In reply to fujitsupalm, May 9, 2012

fujitsupalm wrote:

I'm not sure if I can relate to what you're saying, never considered Pentax since it's not great for serious shooting

ZING!

-- hide signature --

Money can't buy happiness....It has to be converted into photo equipment first.

Robertj_298
Like?
In reply to fujitsupalm, May 9, 2012

Maybe you can tell me how many micro 4/3s have scored higher than the K-5 on the dpr reviews? LOL

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,027Gear list
Like?
That's the difference between reading about it, and using it

It isn't just weight. In fact, I rather like the slightly heavy M43 bodies like the EP's and the EM5. They tend to be a bit steadier.

It's about bulk. Take this 45 1.8. Sharp as a razor, AF's as fast as a thief, and it's absurdly small. It fits in a common shirt pocket with room to spare. And it's not even a pancake. Compare it to, say, a typical 50 1.8, like the old Nikkor I have. It's larger, quite a bit larger. At least 50% wider, and longer. And not nearly as sharp. Let's not even get into the pancakes: 20 1.7, 14 2.5... they're even smaller.

M43 bodies are a lot flatter than an APS DSLR. They don't protrude from your side nearly as much when you carry them, even with a non pancake like the 45 1.8. When you're walking around, if your arm clears an obstacle, the camera will clear.

The bag to carry a M43 body and a couple of fast primes or even a zoom like the 9-18... well, a fanny pack will do for that. Even the EM5 without grip will fit... well, that's not fair, the EM5 without grip is about the size of a Pen. Try stuffing your APS DSLR and a couple of fast primes and a W/A zoom into a fanny pack. Won't happen, not and maintain structural integrity, anyway.

I've used both. The M43 setup may not weigh much less, but it sure takes up a lot less room, and doesn't demand nearly as much of your attention when you're not actually using it.

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,444Gear list
Like?

Robertj_298 wrote:

When you go out for a walk with your K-5, how many lenses, and which (please be specific) do you typically carry?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +18 more
onlooker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,749Gear list
Like?

Robertj_298 wrote:

I have to laugh when people talk about switching to micro four thirds because of the lighter weight. The e-m5 weighs exactly 7 ounces less than the Pentax K-5.

Perhaps it's not just weight. Perhaps people just got tired of a dead-end company with no vision that gets passed around from one buyer to another like a third-rate hooker at a Secret Service party?

dpalugyay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115Gear list
Like?
You are ignorant

You have no clue what you are talking about. Why come here and be an ass?

Robertj_298
Like?
In reply to onlooker, May 9, 2012

I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you mad

Robertj_298
Like?
Re: You are ignorant
In reply to dpalugyay, May 9, 2012

So now we resort to name calling?

hahaha
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Well, I did ...

I sold 5D MKII, 50D, and all EF lenses, and went to m4/3 (GH2, 2 Pens). Still keep my old Canon F-1 and those nice FD lenses.

I'm asking you, have you tried m4/3 system? And what Pentax lenses do you use? The pancakes? LOL

Robertj_298 wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads