D800 From B&H???

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
PhotoArch82
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
D800 From B&H???
May 9, 2012

I pre-ordered mine on the first day they opened pre-orders. No sign of it yet. Has anyone received their D800 from B&H yet?

PhotoArch82's gear list:PhotoArch82's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,740
Like?
Re: D800 From B&H???
In reply to PhotoArch82, May 9, 2012

You better call them and make sure your name is still on the list.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,212
Like?

Not sure where they are with the D800, but with the D800E they have only gotten through about the first hour of orders at most.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,440
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, May 9, 2012

Robin Casady wrote:

Not sure where they are with the D800, but with the D800E they have only gotten through about the first hour of orders at most.

With Nikon's speculated production capacity (25 to 30,000/mo.?), and North America getting roughly 1/3 of production, and the USA deliveries being spread around to all authorized dealers, and B&H apparently taking unlimited pre-orders (thousands?), it could take years to clear the pre-order list

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,118
Like?
In reply to Patco, May 9, 2012

Patco wrote:

With Nikon's speculated production capacity (25 to 30,000/mo.?), and North America getting roughly 1/3 of production, and the USA deliveries being spread around to all authorized dealers, and B&H apparently taking unlimited pre-orders (thousands?), it could take years to clear the pre-order list

While you're at it, don't forgot to give special thanks to all retailers enrolled in NPS red carpet service ... for line jumpers, multiple orders, and speculative eBay sales. Another fine courtesy which helps ensure the unlimited list of lesser folk are kicked a bit further down the ladder.

-- hide signature --

design guy

lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?

PhotoArch82 wrote:

I pre-ordered mine on the first day they opened pre-orders. No sign of it yet. Has anyone received their D800 from B&H yet?

I won't be surprised if it gets delivered by father Christmas.

JCLittle
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to lanef, May 9, 2012

On the list at B&H as well, I'm in Singapore this week and was just in a store that had 12, I saw them myself. Something is just not right! In case your wondering, $3600 US but no US warranty.

JCLittle's gear list:JCLittle's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +4 more
Myallegro31
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?

Got mine yesterday, ordered about 3.5 hrs after they opened up for pre-orders. You. When did you order??? It seems like they are filling an hour's worth of pre-orderes every 2 weeks

-- hide signature --
 Myallegro31's gear list:Myallegro31's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
exposure
Contributing MemberPosts: 957
Like?

Whilst I am not on B&H waiting list I am on Amazon UK's. I think Robin Cassidy hit on something here. I know these places dont want to give out any commercial info e.g. Number of orders. Why can they publish a table of dates and if al orders have been dispatched.

Example:
All orders dispatched that had been ordered on X date

I think this would help without giving out the number in the list.

Just my 2 cents worth
--
http://www.andrewatkinsonphotography.co.uk
http://andrewatkinson.aminus3.com/

PhotoArch82
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
In reply to Myallegro31, May 10, 2012

I think I was about 8 hours in so I'm probably looking at a couple of months. Glad I kept the 700.

PhotoArch82's gear list:PhotoArch82's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
GAP IMAGES
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
In reply to exposure, May 10, 2012

I ordered D800E on 2/7/12 at 12:20AM EST ... nothing yet?!

rpo
rpo
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to GAP IMAGES, May 10, 2012

GAP IMAGES wrote:

I ordered D800E on 2/7/12 at 12:20AM EST ... nothing yet?!

I ordered one minute before you, I have have heard nothing as well. That means B&H still has not fulfilled the first 10 minutes of orders yet.

lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?
Re:Nikon distribution stinks
In reply to JCLittle, May 10, 2012

JCLittle wrote:

On the list at B&H as well, I'm in Singapore this week and was just in a store that had 12, I saw them myself. Something is just not right! In case your wondering, $3600 US but no US warranty.

You confirm my belief, Nikon distribution really stinks. I know authorised dealers in Western Australia who have not seen a single D800 since the launch while some Hong Kong eBay dealers who sell grey are having no difficulty to get them. And some dealers in a tiny country like Singapore are having not difficulty to have 12 in their stores.

Considering some of the actual issues with the D800, it would be of course crazy to buy grey or not with a local warranty.

http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38519080@N00/sets/72157594443652688/

tankinmd2
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
In reply to rpo, May 11, 2012

Looking for advice...
I ordered the D800 from B&H on 7 Feb at about 6:30 am...
Obviously I do not have it, and no real info from B&H on when to expect it.
Nothing new there.

My local camera brick & mortar says they SHOULD be able to deliver in 3-4 weeks bet want the money up front.
Any suggestions as to which should be better?

Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
In reply to tankinmd2, May 11, 2012

tankinmd2 wrote:

Looking for advice...
Nothing new there.

My local camera brick & mortar says they SHOULD be able to deliver in 3-4 weeks bet want the money up front.

I believe that Nikon is sending a few units every week to each retailer. By law, they can't just send 100's to B&H in one shipment and 1 to Joe's Camera Shop, provided the Joe's credit is good.

However, I got an email this morning from Adorama saying my pre order will be on its way to me on the brown truck by end of business, today. I placed my order a few hours after you. Now, if B&H opened their pre orders a few hours earlier than Adorama, so they will have more pre orders and B&H does more volume also.

Given the above two, I think your local brick and mortar will give you better chance.

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
tankinmd2
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
In reply to Maji, May 11, 2012

Maji,
Thanks for the input.
My patience is running out with B&H

rrichie
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?

yep this is right.

cancelled my b&h order last week. ordered from ritz on friday. it arrived today.

so happy lol

Maji wrote:

tankinmd2 wrote:

Looking for advice...
Nothing new there.

I believe that Nikon is sending a few units every week to each retailer. By law, they can't just send 100's to B&H in one shipment and 1 to Joe's Camera Shop, provided the Joe's credit is good.

However, I got an email this morning from Adorama saying my pre order will be on its way to me on the brown truck by end of business, today. I placed my order a few hours after you. Now, if B&H opened their pre orders a few hours earlier than Adorama, so they will have more pre orders and B&H does more volume also.

Given the above two, I think your local brick and mortar will give you better chance.

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?

Maji wrote:

Exactly what "law" is that?

Seems to me that a manufacturer can send whatever it wants to whomever it wants, aside from damaging relations, there is no "law" that prevents this.

beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
queequee
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
In reply to beshannon, May 11, 2012

There is an applicable law actually... I seem to recall that Thom Hogan even referenced it when he wrote recently about the D800 supply issues and his thoughts on pre-orders?

beshannon wrote:

Maji wrote:

Seems to me that a manufacturer can send whatever it wants to whomever it wants, aside from damaging relations, there is no "law" that prevents this.

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to queequee, May 11, 2012

This vague reference to "law" has nothing to do with how any manufacturer distributes their product

http://www.bythom.com/2012%20Nikon%20News.htm

queequee wrote:

There is an applicable law actually... I seem to recall that Thom Hogan even referenced it when he wrote recently about the D800 supply issues and his thoughts on pre-orders?

beshannon wrote:

Maji wrote:

beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads