A nice comparison - A77 & K-5

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions
rondeann
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,650
Like?
A nice comparison - A77 & K-5
May 9, 2012

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/05/08/iso-torture-test-sony-a77-vs-pentax-k-5/
--
You pay for what you get but you don't necessarily get what you pay for

MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?
Re: A nice comparison - A77 & K-5
In reply to rondeann, May 9, 2012

well well well, where is ET2? i think his world is going to come crashing down when he hears this.

"Fortunately, the K-5 gives you the ability to turn off noise reduction entirely, ridding your images of any sort of detail smearing. The result is immediately noticeable, as you retain sharp details all the way up to the native ISO cap of 12,800".

oh but thats not all.

"While the Sony A77 pulled off fairly respectable results up to ISO 1600, it really starts to fall apart quickly at ISO 3200. It has two things working against it in these tests, I believe. First is the fact that the sensor has a significantly higher megapixel count than the Pentax K-5, and cramming more pixels onto an APS-C sensor will generally add to the noise. The other issue I noticed though, is the inability to be able to turn off noise reduction. Sony’s noise reduction smears the details quite severely, even at the “low” setting, and renders the image pretty much unusable".

hmm, so it seems sony have been the poor joke of a pro dslr, not even able to turn off NR. what a shame, ET2 your flagship camera has cooked raws and it sucks. haha. omg this is so funny.

rofl, so i guess the k5 doesnt have to have "cooked" raws, and we just saw what NR turned off looks like compared to the a77, an obvious win. let me repeat that, the k5 with no NR wins against the a77 WITH NR and it also wins with no NR against the D7k as this review also states. so i guess theres no arguing now, pentax are the kings

of apsc iso performance. sorry sony guys, just keep shooting at 100 and u will b fine

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 19,671Gear list
Like?
In reply to rondeann, May 9, 2012

Thanks - I wonder if the new K3? will have this 24 mp sensor - I hope not.
--
Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
MaxIso
Like?
In reply to ozdean, May 9, 2012

ozdean wrote:

--
Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

dont worry if they do, think about how much better the k5 and k-01 are than the a55, a57, a37 ect and its the same sensor. pentax will take that 24mp cmos and make it work some magic. i actually hope they do use it, bc it will show how much better the a77 really could b.

i actually like sony as a company, but making subpar cameras is something i cant support. sometimes u need to prod the cow to get the milk.

DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,475Gear list
Like?
In reply to MaxIso, May 9, 2012

I sure hope Sony stays in the sensor design/building business and continues to make sensors available to other manufacturers. The sensor is foundational to the IQ success of the K-5 and K-01.

MaxIso wrote:

i actually like sony as a company, but making subpar cameras is something i cant support. sometimes u need to prod the cow to get the milk.

-- hide signature --

Great photography is largely a matter of one's perspective, both visually and mentally.
Daryl

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
MaxIso
Like?
In reply to DarylK, May 9, 2012

DarylK wrote:

I sure hope Sony stays in the sensor design/building business and continues to make sensors available to other manufacturers. The sensor is foundational to the IQ success of the K-5 and K-01.

MaxIso wrote:

-- hide signature --

Great photography is largely a matter of one's perspective, both visually and mentally.
Daryl

i agree, i think everybody but canon would b much worse off without sony's sensors. and just so no fanboys try to talk trash, my first post said "raw" and was supposed to b "jpeg" as the review says, sorry for the typo

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,643Gear list
Like?
Maybe leave it from here guys

Why rub it in? it's a jpeg test and the K-5 did well. Ok.

But calling et2 up for more, is like walking about in a lightning storm wearing gold plated-aluminum jocky shorts.

• I might suggest leaving him alone and not responding at all from here on in . *

MaxIso wrote:

well well well, where is ET2? i think his world is going to come crashing down when he hears this.

-- hide signature --

At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell

“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984

sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,135Gear list
Like?

MaxIso wrote:

"Fortunately, the K-5 gives you the ability to turn off noise reduction entirely, ridding your images of any sort of detail smearing. The result is immediately noticeable, as you retain sharp details all the way up to the native ISO cap of 12,800".

I think this is JPEG only. What he keeps banging on about is the high ISO NR which is applied to raw data.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
Underdog 3000
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?

Take a look at dxomark.com and see how much they like canon sensors - not so much.

Underdog 3000's gear list:Underdog 3000's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-5 Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,687Gear list
Like?
In reply to ozdean, May 9, 2012

ozdean wrote:

Dean, I'm thinking the iteration of the 24MP sensor that Pentax gets is probably going to be more than fine - that A77 is an SLT design, which robs light, requiring more gain to make up for it which increases noise. Sony's method of dealing with that noise is apparently mandatory, crudely-implemented NR.

Anyway, Pentax will probably do with that sensor that they did with the 16MP Exmor in the K-5 - take it right to the top of the class.

I'm excited to see the next Pentax flagship. (I'm just hoping it's a DSLR. )

--
Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?

MaxIso wrote:

Funny now you like jpeg comparisons?

So now we have it settled. 5N has superior IQ than both K-5 and K01, according to DPR and IR studio tests. End of of this discussion.

Thanks for confirmation.

By the way, K-5 is supposed to be better at high ISO than A77, even when A77 is down-sampled to 16 MP. That's due to "translucent" mirror in all SLT cameras. It's a design compromise that has some advantages too (1) 12 fps with AF, (2) PDAF AF in video (3) no mirror related blur, (4) no shutter related blur, as all images can be taken with electronic first shutter curtain .. but on the negative side, the camera will be 1/2 noisier at eqv ISO.

By the way, I don't have A77, nor do want one, because I just don't like big black cameras ... give me a small camera with all A77 features, and I might consider it

MaxIso
Like?
In reply to ET2, May 9, 2012

ET2 wrote:

MaxIso wrote:

So now we have it settled. 5N has superior IQ than both K-5 and K01, according to DPR and IR studio tests. End of of this discussion.

Thanks for confirmation.

By the way, K-5 is supposed to be better at high ISO than A77, even when A77 is down-sampled to 16 MP. That's due to "translucent" mirror in all SLT cameras. It's a design compromise that has some advantages too (1) 12 fps with AF, (2) PDAF AF in video (3) no mirror related blur, (4) no shutter related blur, as all images can be taken with electronic first shutter curtain .. but on the negative side, the camera will be 1/2 noisier at eqv ISO.

By the way, I don't have A77, nor do want one, because I just don't like big black cameras ... give me a small camera with all A77 features, and I might consider it

as u can see in the review, the a77 (along with other sony sensors) cooks their jpegs to death with NR and it cant b turned off. this creates as unfair comparison as u claim with the 200+k5 raws. any comparison, including the 5n, is void as it is an unfair comparison. as u read, the k5 can turn off jpeg NR and was tested as such. u cannot call jpegs customizable in camera when u cant even turn off NR. looks like all those sony jpeg comparisons are worthless.

MaxIso
Like?

3200+k5*

wy2lam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,989Gear list
Like?

LOL good for Sony, finally they've managed to make good use of their own sensors, instead of letting others make better use of their sensors than themselves.

Good job Sony. Haha.

ET2 wrote:

MaxIso wrote:

Thanks for confirmation.

wy2lam's gear list:wy2lam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
ET2
ET2
Like?
In reply to wy2lam, May 9, 2012

wy2lam wrote:

LOL good for Sony, finally they've managed to make good use of their own sensors, instead of letting others make better use of their sensors than themselves.

Except for D3x vs A900, which was $5000 extra, I believe that claim is a myth..

MaxIso
Like?

ET2 wrote:

wy2lam wrote:

I believe that claim is a myth..

except its not, all u have to do is look at all the 16mp cameras out there. k-01, k5, D7k, all fair much better in comparisons than sony models like the a37, a55, a57, 5n. even dxomark scores them higher than the sony models. sony's best 16mp camera was the a580 and they scrapped it for these slt junkers. a shame.

ET2
ET2
Like?

MaxIso wrote:

ET2 wrote:

wy2lam wrote:

I believe that claim is a myth..

except its not, all u have to do is look at all the 16mp cameras out there. k-01, k5, D7k, all fair much better in comparisons than sony models like the a37, a55, a57, 5n.

The first three cameras that you listed should score 1/2 stop lower on Dxomark due to translucent mirror (remeber 5 pints on dxomark equal 1/3 stops).

The difference between 5N and K01 is like 2 points? That's not even 1/3 stops .. that's like 1/6 stop or something so within margin of errror. And the difference between A580 and K-5 was 2 points too.

So I was correct and you were wrong.

Try again

ET2
ET2
Like?

MaxIso wrote:

6400 all day and print no prob. the pics tell it all wooot woooot, chugachugachugachuga woooot woooot!

You can repeat that all day if you want till you turn blue, but K01 isn't better ISO 6400. It's just applying more RAW NR.

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?

So what are you guys fighting about?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads