DPR D800 review is posted

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,786
Like?
Re: Do we now have to list the reasons ...
In reply to Manny82, May 9, 2012

Manny82 wrote:

i maintain that the D800 needs a lower-resolution raw mode. If it had this option then the D800 truly would appeal to all users regardless of skill and finances.

I maintain that I have used the camera for 6 weeks and this simply is not the case (at least for me).

I'm not so sure. I like the D800 for the improvements it has, but i don't want to be forced to use 36mp. Nikon should have just given an option like Canon do.

You should try using the 36mp option on your Canon and you will then see who is really limited. I have no use (that I can think of now at least) for a Canon sRaw file equal to 8mp, 12mp, etc. Saving room on a memory card is of no interest or no concern for me and quite honestly it has been a non issue period.

3) There are other modes that allow smaller files if you really need it. Several jpg modes, 1.2x, etc. The file size for 1.2x mode is similar to most every current DSLR. I really wonder how much people would notice 1.2x if we didn't have the distinction between FX and DX, etc. You even have differences in APS-C factors with Canon and Nikon.

JPEG modes - i want to shoot raw, not jpeg. You don't need me to tell you why.
Crop modes - i want full-frame, not crop.

Yes, I shoot raw only in FX mode and it works great. I can't see the rationale for strict requirements like shooting raw in FX only yet wanting 6mp or 12mp files.... doesn't do anything for me but to each his own. Again, maybe a wedding photographer but not me.

The files on a D800 are just huge. There is no getting away from that. It is a total different beast to any other camera on the market. Not only do you have to buy the D800 (which admittedly is a bit of a bargain next to the 5D3) but you then have to invest in better glass, larger memory cards, more processing power and RAM, and also more hard drive space - a lot of this is unnecessary but forced on to you.

I'm glad you told me. Here I've been shooting away with the same computer, same memory cards, and same lenses (I did sell one DX lens and bought one FX)... I didn't know I was supposed to be buying all of this stuff.

I say all this from the perspective of a current Canon shooter (30D) looking to make the move to full-frame. It was the D700 that caught my eye mainly because of its superior focussing system over the Canon 5D2. However the D700 is 4 years old now and i ask myself, are the improvements in the D800 crucial to me? The D800 is tempting, i'm sure i could stretch to it if i had to, but the question is do i want to? And the answer is - i really don't want to because i can't be dealing with 36mp raw files. Now if the D800 had an option for smaller raw files like the Canon systems do, then i'm pretty certain i'd talk myself into just saving up for the D800 and be done with it.

Please find all of the threads with D800 owners trying to solve storage problems, workflow problems, etc. I bet you'll find the numbers around 10 to 1 with 10 being those like you talking about issues that largely don't exist and 1 being those that have the D800 and actually have major issues with file size, etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,781Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Beck, May 9, 2012

Jeff Beck wrote:

fjpyyy wrote:

for buying a D800, like some kind of application of membership to some exclusive club?

This is ridiculous. What are the reasons people buy things? They want them and they can afford them. That's it.

Hey, I'm an idiot, I don't know sh about photography but i can afford a d800.

LOL.

I see i can also buy a Hummer for $80,000. cool, lets go buy one.
Stupid is as stupid does.

That's all fine, but why do you care? Every day, there are millions of people buying products they don't need or are completely incompetent to be able to use, yet this is what keeps the wheels of industry turning. If it wasn't for these (some) well heeled people (some cluless, yes) buying product that they may not need, we would all be paying higher prices for our D800's and other things.

What I can't fathom is why anyone cares what they buy and why it is so important for other's to criticise them for it. It's their money and they can use it as a wheel chock or a boat anchor and I could care less. Are we that insecure and elitist that we need to now make sure people pass a test on photographic ability before we allow them to purchase a high end camera?
--
Lance B
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
tomboy
Contributing MemberPosts: 980Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR D800 review is posted
In reply to argh69, May 9, 2012

i take pictures of mouses instead ..

tomboy's gear list:tomboy's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7S
epsilon sigma taph
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?

Jeff Beck wrote:

Maybe this will finally convince 99% of the amateurs on these forums that the D800 & especially the D800E really are not the cameras for them and a poor choice considering what they will actually be shooting.

Doubtful.

Spot on Jeff!

I'm sick to death of amateurs showing up at weddings with better cameras than me

What's worse, they ask me for advice on how to use these complicated beasts.

Honestly, when will Nikon realise that the majority of people buying their pro gear only want a big camera with one button on it called AUTOPILOT.

Lance B
Like?

Jeff Beck wrote:

Lance B wrote:

fjpyyy wrote:

for buying a D800, like some kind of application of membership to some exclusive club?

This is ridiculous. What are the reasons people buy things? They want them and they can afford them. That's it.

Excatly. Why it peeves some people that a person buys a D800 and uses it as a wheel chock I'll never know. I guess they have to feel superior to others somehow and "looking down on them" for daring to buy a pro camera to shoot cat pics is one way of thinking they are better than them. They have to make out that they are superior, otherwise know would would know.

O brother!

Please tell me why you need a d800. Technically. I bet you don't have a clue.

Haha, nice try to denegrate. Actually, I do. The fast and accurate AF is fantastic for my love of bird photography. The high ISO ability is also great for this as it means I can ramp up the ISO to gain high shutter speeds for same, when required. The fact that it is high ISO also means that camera shake can be an issue, so again the use of high ISO can assist in high shutter speeds. The high resolution means that I can crop back to DX for extra "reach". It also means that I can use the D800 for two purposes, an FX camera and a DX camera.

You don't know that other cameras would work better for you.

Please list them and I'll post why they aren't for me. It seems that if you don't then it is you that is lacking, not me.

Maybe you can post a few photos to prove your credentials.

look at my thumb.............

-- hide signature --
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Jeff Beck
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
In reply to Jan Morales, May 9, 2012

Jan Morales wrote:

Jeff Beck wrote:

Maybe this will finally convince 99% of the amateurs on these forums that the D800 & especially the D800E really are not the cameras for them and a poor choice considering what they will actually be shooting.

Doubtful.

Don't you have anything better to do than to continue your seemingly endless, pointless, and tiresome campaign to scold all amateurs for buying a camera they're perfectly entitled to buy?

Doubtful.

Ahhh you see, I'm a teacher, professional with 35years experience at the highest end of photography, NYC, Milan, LA, London, Paris & I see people that are clueless, buying over their head that will actually hinder their ability to take pictures but want a toy because it is the new thing on the block.

It's just stupid. Wake up and look at the work you do then analyze the cameras capabilities. It's pretty obvious you don't need a Hummer and that is what the D800 is.

It is a great tool for some but a stupid choice for most and a ridiculous choice for hobbyists and amateurs. It has nothing to do with what you can afford. Just ask JFK junior on that.

Manny82
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, May 9, 2012

Clayton1985 wrote:

Manny82 wrote:

i maintain that the D800 needs a lower-resolution raw mode. If it had this option then the D800 truly would appeal to all users regardless of skill and finances.

I maintain that I have used the camera for 6 weeks and this simply is not the case (at least for me).

I'm not so sure. I like the D800 for the improvements it has, but i don't want to be forced to use 36mp. Nikon should have just given an option like Canon do.

You should try using the 36mp option on your Canon and you will then see who is really limited. I have no use (that I can think of now at least) for a Canon sRaw file equal to 8mp, 12mp, etc. Saving room on a memory card is of no interest or no concern for me and quite honestly it has been a non issue period.

3) There are other modes that allow smaller files if you really need it. Several jpg modes, 1.2x, etc. The file size for 1.2x mode is similar to most every current DSLR. I really wonder how much people would notice 1.2x if we didn't have the distinction between FX and DX, etc. You even have differences in APS-C factors with Canon and Nikon.

JPEG modes - i want to shoot raw, not jpeg. You don't need me to tell you why.
Crop modes - i want full-frame, not crop.

Yes, I shoot raw only in FX mode and it works great. I can't see the rationale for strict requirements like shooting raw in FX only yet wanting 6mp or 12mp files.... doesn't do anything for me but to each his own. Again, maybe a wedding photographer but not me.

The files on a D800 are just huge. There is no getting away from that. It is a total different beast to any other camera on the market. Not only do you have to buy the D800 (which admittedly is a bit of a bargain next to the 5D3) but you then have to invest in better glass, larger memory cards, more processing power and RAM, and also more hard drive space - a lot of this is unnecessary but forced on to you.

I'm glad you told me. Here I've been shooting away with the same computer, same memory cards, and same lenses (I did sell one DX lens and bought one FX)... I didn't know I was supposed to be buying all of this stuff.

I say all this from the perspective of a current Canon shooter (30D) looking to make the move to full-frame. It was the D700 that caught my eye mainly because of its superior focussing system over the Canon 5D2. However the D700 is 4 years old now and i ask myself, are the improvements in the D800 crucial to me? The D800 is tempting, i'm sure i could stretch to it if i had to, but the question is do i want to? And the answer is - i really don't want to because i can't be dealing with 36mp raw files. Now if the D800 had an option for smaller raw files like the Canon systems do, then i'm pretty certain i'd talk myself into just saving up for the D800 and be done with it.

Please find all of the threads with D800 owners trying to solve storage problems, workflow problems, etc. I bet you'll find the numbers around 10 to 1 with 10 being those like you talking about issues that largely don't exist and 1 being those that have the D800 and actually have major issues with file size, etc.

That's cool. I have played about with some D800 nefs to know that I certainly don't need 36mp, I dont need that amount of detail, and I also witnessed how much harder and longer my computer had to work.

You seem to be getting very defensive now so I will just leave you to it and not bother replying to the rest of your comments. I don't need you telling me that I need 36mp.

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,672Gear list
Like?
not impressed.
In reply to Lance B, May 9, 2012

compared jpgs at 6400...to the centre of the card...and the G1X, D7k, and the 5D3 all are as good or better ...the D800 looks large sure, but rather blurry.
They can keep it.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Jeff Beck
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?

Lance B wrote:

Jeff Beck wrote:

fjpyyy wrote:

LOL.

That's all fine, but why do you care? Every day, there are millions of people buying products they don't need or are completely incompetent to be able to use, yet this is what keeps the wheels of industry turning. If it wasn't for these (some) well heeled people (some cluless, yes) buying product that they may not need, we would all be paying higher prices for our D800's and other things.

What I can't fathom is why anyone cares what they buy and why it is so important for other's to criticise them for it. It's their money and they can use it as a wheel chock or a boat anchor and I could care less. Are we that insecure and elitist that we need to now make sure people pass a test on photographic ability before we allow them to purchase a high end camera?
--
Lance B

Come on, for the last time, Professional for 35 years, I taught Photography in my spare time at Brooks, Icp & Art center. You never want to see people shoot themselves in the foot. Buying a D800 for most is what they are doing. It's a very poor choice for most here.
Do your homework.

If you want to buy one and hinder your ability to make better quality images but want higher pixel count, have at it.

Lance B
Like?
Re: not impressed.
In reply to jonrobertp, May 9, 2012

jonrobertp wrote:

compared jpgs at 6400...to the centre of the card...and the G1X, D7k, and the 5D3 all are as good or better ...the D800 looks large sure, but rather blurry.
They can keep it.

Well, having had the D7000 and now the D800, all I can say is that the D800 is better than the D7000 at all ISO's .

D800 at ISO6400 shot through glass:

-- hide signature --
Lance B
Like?

Jeff Beck wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Jeff Beck wrote:

fjpyyy wrote:

LOL.

--
Lance B

Come on, for the last time, Professional for 35 years, I taught Photography in my spare time at Brooks, Icp & Art center.

Meaningless.

You never want to see people shoot themselves in the foot. Buying a D800 for most is what they are doing. It's a very poor choice for most here.

That may be so, but again, why should you care, it's their money.

Do your homework.

I did and the D800 is superb and just want I wanted and my results are better .

If you want to buy one and hinder your ability to make better quality images but want higher pixel count, have at it.

I did buy it and it hasn't hindered my ability, it has afforded me the ability to do things I couldn't do with my D700 or D7000.

-- hide signature --
djsphynx
Regular MemberPosts: 476
Like?
In reply to carlk, May 9, 2012

Who cares and what's it to you why or how people use their personal goods? Live and let live man, relax and enjoy life (or at least let others enjoy life, feel free to be miserable in your corner).

carlk wrote:

How many people buy a BMW and only drive speed limit? The fact is they spend the extra money to buy the car because it can go 150mph not that they want to or know how to do it. I'm afraid that will be the case for most people buying D800, or for that matter any high end camera, too.

Robin Casady wrote:

Jeff Beck wrote:

Doubtful.

How many people buy an SUVs and never take it off road? How many people buy pickup trucks for commuting and never put a hay bale in the back? How many people buy a Porsche...
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

-- hide signature --
DANdeMAN
Contributing MemberPosts: 912Gear list
Like?

Jeff Beck wrote:

Ahhh you see, I'm a teacher, professional with 35years experience at the highest end of photography, NYC, Milan, LA, London, Paris & I see people that are clueless, buying over their head that will actually hinder their ability to take pictures but want a toy because it is the new thing on the block.

It's just stupid. Wake up and look at the work you do then analyze the cameras capabilities. It's pretty obvious you don't need a Hummer and that is what the D800 is.

It is a great tool for some but a stupid choice for most and a ridiculous choice for hobbyists and amateurs. It has nothing to do with what you can afford. Just ask JFK junior on that.

Jeff Beck wrote:

Come on, for the last time, Professional for 35 years, I taught Photography in my spare time at Brooks, Icp & Art center. You never want to see people shoot themselves in the foot. Buying a D800 for most is what they are doing. It's a very poor choice for most here.
Do your homework.

Do you have a mirror? This is what you look like right now.
--

DANdeMAN SONY V3 (03-2005)

DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
Clayton1985
Like?
In reply to Manny82, May 9, 2012

Manny82 wrote:

That's cool. I have played about with some D800 nefs to know that I certainly don't need 36mp, I dont need that amount of detail, and I also witnessed how much harder and longer my computer had to work.

You seem to be getting very defensive now so I will just leave you to it and not bother replying to the rest of your comments. I don't need you telling me that I need 36mp.

You came to talk about the D800 when you already knew that you don't need 36mp? However, you would be interested in the D800 if it had an option for sRaw? Brilliant. May I suggest the D700..

fjpyyy
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?

Jeff Beck wrote:

This is internet, everyone can claim to be someone else. For all we know, (and your posts actually support it), you are a teenager sitting in front a computer all day long trolling internet forums for fun and know jack about photography and cameras.
If you are who you say you are, where may we see some of your fine work?

Do your homework.

I did, D800 is a good camera for my photography needs.

How can a good tool hinder one's ability to make better quality images? Moronic comments.

This is exactly you.

inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,104Gear list
Like?
Remember to turn on the camera, here's how

Jeff Beck wrote:

Doubtful.

"Before taking photographs, turn the camera on and check the battery level and number of exposures remaining as described below." ...page 36, followed by two illustrated pages in large type with no big words explaining how to accomplish this task.

Wow, this really is a 'pro' only camera. Definitely way over my head, would have expected this around page 200.

Just what about this camera isn't ALSO* aimed at an amateur? It has auto everything from ISO selection, AF point selection, metering, to even auto active d-lighting? And SD cards, JPEG's, and a 'P' mode to boot. Turn everything on and it's almost impossible to blow highlights or screw up your shot. I've tried to blow highlights - it just won't let me. It is far easier to get a good shot with this than my iphone.

Find a P&S camera which in the hands of someone who can only point and press a button take a picture that can rival one from this - then you might have a point.

It's just a camera, what's the worst thing that can happen - someone takes a bad shot of their kid in the yard?

It's meant for everyone 'pros' and anybody else interested. What sets the pro's apart isn't their gear, it's what they do with it.

(ALSO* - I say this because all of these aids can be turned off giving you as much or as little control as you want, and there is nothing about this camera that means it isn't aimed at professionals as well)

Clayton1985
Like?
Re: not impressed.

+1. Not to mention better in every other way... well, except for U1, U2. And I did like to use +-2 EV AEB bracketing sometimes :).

djsphynx
Regular MemberPosts: 476
Like?

why u mad bro?

Jeff Beck wrote:

fjpyyy wrote:

LOL.

-- hide signature --
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,196
Like?
Re: It's Human Nature

Jeff Beck wrote:

That is one way to look at it. Another is that having such a challenging camera will push novices to improve their technique.

That will never happen, understand what you are doing first then upgrade.
Buying over your head is just plain STUPID, esp with this type of a camera.
Come talk to me at icp.

Wow, you have a rather closed mind.

What are you to ICP?
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,734
Like?
Re: Strange image quality judgment
In reply to epsilon sigma taph, May 9, 2012

epsilon sigma taph wrote:

Luke Kaven wrote:

Surprisingly, DPR thinks the K5 is the equal of the D800 in image quality. Yes, a last generation Exmor in APS-c format compared to a new generation Exmor at 36MP in full-frame format is judged to be the equivalent.

Is there some intuition about what image quality means that the reviewer is trying to appeal to? I'm not getting it.

Of course you're not getting it.

...and you are?

Image quality can only be judged with your eyes in side by side comparisons.

Then you should use your eyes, because when I look at studio crops from the D800 and K5 side by side at ISO 800, the K5 is not in the same league as the D800.

...the K5 is a better camera all things considered,

Unadulterated BS.

especially for the price.

You get what you pay for, and maybe that's what the point was, but as far as image quality is concerned the K5 is miles behind the D800.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads