X100 RAW and Lightroom 4

Started May 8, 2012 | Discussions
steddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?
X100 RAW and Lightroom 4
May 8, 2012

I am currently a Nikon user and a big Lightroom fan. I've just picked up a cheap x100 as a carry around camera, and have heard some conflicting information on Lightrooms support for the camera.

Can I shoot the X100 with auto DR enabled and still use Lightroom for my workflow. I use a Mac and really have no interest in adding another product into my workflow.

Thanks
--
-------------------------------------------
Steddy
http://steddy.smugmug.com/

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
smallcams
Senior MemberPosts: 3,297
Like?
Re: X100 RAW and Lightroom 4
In reply to steddyman, May 8, 2012

steddyman wrote:

I am currently a Nikon user and a big Lightroom fan. I've just picked up a cheap x100 as a carry around camera, and have heard some conflicting information on Lightrooms support for the camera.

Can I shoot the X100 with auto DR enabled and still use Lightroom for my workflow. I use a Mac and really have no interest in adding another product into my workflow.

Thanks
--

Can't say for sure. I'm using LR3 and getting underexposed shots in certain instances with ADR activated. I've read where LR doesn't read the 200 or 400 DR settings. A poster recommended that if you shoot RAW only simply keep ADR at 100.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,189
Like?
In reply to steddyman, May 8, 2012

Auto DR will be effective only if you shoot jpg. If you shoot raw, you better leave DR at 100% otherwise the pictures will be 1 or 2 stops underexposed respectively for 200 and 400%

The x100 raw files have a good latitude and LR4 allows you to adjust separately highlights and shadows so you can actually control you DR in Lightroom.

Moti
--
http://www.pixpix.be
http://www.musicalpix.com (under construction)

wchutt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to steddyman, May 9, 2012

You certainly can use X100 raw files in LR with DR set to values greater than 100.

However it is kind of silly to do this.

DR only reduces exposure below what you or the camera selected. Then it pulls the shadows up with using in-camera firmware to produce a jpeg that makes the most of the in-camera raw data. The exposure is reduced to make sure highlights are not lost due to overexposure. Pulling the shadows up is just a special tone curve devised by Fuji's software engineers.

If you record in raw only, you can use exposure compensation or manual exposure to insure the highlights are not overexposed. This requires attention, and some experience.

In LR you can pull the shadows up and reduce the highlights to you personal taste. You have co Pete control over the final outcome.

So if you record in raw only all you are doing is overriding the exposure by one or two stops depending on the DR parameter.

The same goes for ISO values above 1600. The X100 never records data with an ISO above 1600. Higher ISOs are just firmware exposure increases after the data is recorded. This is the case for raw files as well as JPEGs. I prefer to use raw only and never set the ISO above 1600. I rarely use a shutter speed below 1/60. I just accept the underexposure and use the exposure slider in LR to compensate.

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
steddyman
Like?
In reply to wchutt, May 9, 2012

Thanks

It doesn't seem an ideal situation. The DR settings are obviously being stored in the RAW files so why can't Lightroom read them and adjust the appropriate sliders.

I would prefer the camera to automatically underexpose to retain extra DR and then have Lightroom automatically pull it up. The issue for me, will be know when the DR settings have triggered so I know to adjust the exposure.

Are you saying if I shoot at ISO 3200 or 6400 that Lightroom will see it as ISO 1600 and the images will be overexposed?
--
Steddy

steddyman
Like?

I've read that it is possible to use the Fuji supplied software to convert the import files to TIF with all recorded settings recognised, then import the TIF's into LR.

However, I can't get the CD that came with the x100 to install with OSX Lion. It seems to be a PowerPC installer and the updated software on the Fuji website says it won't install unless you have install the CD first.

I can see this ruining what would otherwise be an awesome camera for me.

-- hide signature --
gava
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032
Like?

Goodness, you're making a meal of this.

With JPG shoot Auto-ISO and Auto-DR.

With RAW turn off Auto-DR and expose to the right as normal. The OVF histogram is close enough that you will have no problems if you are shooting RAW.

Forget about the Fuji software. Just use LR as you would with your other cameras.

I think you are in need of a quickstart guide.

http://peri.org.uk/wp/?page_id=1345

-- hide signature --
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?

steddyman wrote:

DR200 underexposes by 1 stop and DR400 by 2. It does this by (effectively) reducing the true ISO used for the shot. So a DR200 @ ISO400 and DR400 @ ISO800 are both shot at an effective ISO200, even though the EXIF would show ISO400 and ISO800. The JPEG engine then uses a less contrasty tone curve to pull up the shadows towards the mid tones, preserving the highlights and giving an effect of wider DR.

Lightroom doesn't read the DR200/DR400 marker (which is stored in the Maker Notes). So it displays the image under-exposed. Aperture reads and uses the DR200/DR400 setting, and I believe SilkyPix does also.

For Lightroom, the logical solution is just to keep the camera on DR100 and underexpose where you need to protect highlights.

AutoDR is effectively giving you an automatic underexposure when a high contrast scene is detected. If this is what you want to retain by using AutoDR, then you'll need to develop a technique for raising the shadows and adding back contrast in Lightroom. With practice, you should be able to achieve this and create presets to automate the process. The only problem is you won't know for sure which DR setting was used.

-Najinsky

geraldatwork
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to gava, May 9, 2012

gava wrote:

Goodness, you're making a meal of this.

With JPG shoot Auto-ISO and Auto-DR.

With RAW turn off Auto-DR and expose to the right as normal. The OVF histogram is close enough that you will have no problems if you are shooting RAW.

Forget about the Fuji software. Just use LR as you would with your other cameras.

I think you are in need of a quickstart guide.

http://peri.org.uk/wp/?page_id=1345

-- hide signature --

The quickstart guide which I have seen before says to set to RAW. I mainly want to shoot JPEG only. Any suggestions how it would change the suggested settings?

steddyman
Like?
In reply to Najinsky, May 9, 2012

I think I have accidentally stumbled across an ideal solution. It took an image in RAW format using DR400 as a test.

I have already had an Automator script setup for LR4 to import files from taken on my iPhone and synced to iCloud via Photostream. This basically just monitors the Photostream directory on my Mac and then triggers and import of any files found there.

I thought I'd just try importing the image from the memory card onto my laptop via iPhoto to see how it looked. Because my laptop is set to sync these to iCloud, they automatically appear in LR. Even though it pops into Lightroom as a RAF file, it looks the same as it does in iPhoto on my laptop and on my iPad (yes, I like Apple). The exposure looks correct, not dark.

PS thanks for the Quick Start Guide.
--
Steddy

steddyman
Like?

Actually I'm not keen on a lot of the settings specified in that user guide. I really like some of the OVF settings.

An alternative guide is here:

http://kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100/users-guide.htm

-- hide signature --
Andrew Koenig
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?
In reply to steddyman, May 11, 2012

As long as we're talking about X100/Lightroom workflow...

I have found it useful to convert all my X100 files to .dng format upon import. Doing so saves about half the disk space with no difference in final result.

I say "no difference" because I tried the following test:

Import raw file, output TIFF file

Import raw file, output DNG file, exit Lightroom, launch Lightroom, import DNG file, output TIFF file

The two resulting TIFF files are bit for bit identical except for the timestamps.

smallcams
Senior MemberPosts: 3,297
Like?
I do this, but
In reply to Andrew Koenig, May 11, 2012

Andrew Koenig wrote:

I have found it useful to convert all my X100 files to .dng format upon import. Doing so saves about half the disk space with no difference in final result.

Is there a way to batch process images applying the X100 Lens Correction Profile?
If so, what are the steps to doing so?

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
In reply to Andrew Koenig, May 11, 2012

Andrew Koenig wrote:

I say "no difference" because I tried the following test:

Import raw file, output TIFF file

Import raw file, output DNG file, exit Lightroom, launch Lightroom, import DNG file, output TIFF file

The two resulting TIFF files are bit for bit identical except for the timestamps.

How about hilight/shadow recovery? Just wondering where the saving is coming from. It's either better lossless compression or lost data. The first would be useful, the second not so much.

-Najinsky

gava
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032
Like?
Re: I do this, but
In reply to smallcams, May 11, 2012

smallcams wrote:

Andrew Koenig wrote:

Is there a way to batch process images applying the X100 Lens Correction Profile?
If so, what are the steps to doing so?

You can create a develop preset and apply it on import. Obviously this applies to all Develop settings, not just lens corrections.

However I would caution that you may not actually want to apply lens corrections automatically to every image.

-- hide signature --
joeblow1984
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
Re: I do this, but
In reply to gava, May 17, 2012

gava wrote:

However I would caution that you may not actually want to apply lens corrections automatically to every image.

I was actually wondering what the Pro's\Con's of applying the correction automatically were. Can you expand on this?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads